Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Roy DeCarava

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roy DeCarava

One of my favorite documentary photographers is Roy DeCarava. I have one of his books, simply titled Photographs- beautifully reproduced, powerful images, of harlem in the 40's-60's. The one called Pepsi is one of my favorites, but I love all of it- Harlem, the Civil Rights movement, his work with Jazz artists.

Sweet flypaper of life is a book of his work, written by Langston Hughes. It's on my list of books to buy, for sure, as is The Sound I Saw, on the world of New York Jazz in the 1960s.
    Last edited by Madrigal Rose; 10-22-2006, 04:51 PM.
    Character, like a photograph, develops in darkness.
    -Yousuf Karsh

Good stuff. Wow his Wind & Stove and the Boy in the Window touch me very much. What became of the boy? And his "Picket" man ...

I know it is always not very fair to compare one artist with another to find the right "box", but here I am tempted to say Roy DeCavara was for Harlem and Jazz what Walker Evans, another great Social Reality photographer, was for Cuba and the US Mid-West during the Great Depression.

Great triumphs for b&w ...!
    Now, where's that undeveloped roll I meant to take to the lab since ...?
    Google ergo sum

Comment

Yes, Walker Evans's work is inspiring, to say the least.

Hey L'E my darkroom is almost up and running- if you do find any B & W film to be developed, send it my way
      Character, like a photograph, develops in darkness.
      -Yousuf Karsh

Comment

Working...
      X