Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

The T-Shirt at the End of Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The T-Shirt at the End of Time

I'd like to start by saying I'm a huge fan of Mr Moorcock's works. I think The Dancers at the End of Time series was the first I read, as a teenager, and the novels remain among my favourites to this day.

A few years ago I was lucky enough to track down all three novels as first edition hardcovers. Although the Gollancz Dancers cover is nice, I was struck by how magnificent the artwork is on the first edition of An Alien Heat. Like the novel itself, it's wonderfully redolent of both free-thinking 60s/70s psychedelia and fin de siècle decadence. Fast-forward to about a week ago: I've put it on a t-shirt.

[DeadLink]

Looks pretty rock'n'roll, I think - which is apt!

Now, I want you to know that I've no interest in making money from these, whatsoever. I've made only one, for myself, and have no intention of making more or selling any. I just love the book, I love the cover, and wanted to wear it. Not trying to breach anyone's copyright or make a buck.

Unfortunately, the book doesn't list who the artist is, but I'd be interested to find out.

Thought this might amuse any fellow fans of the series, in any case.
    Last edited by Rothgo; 12-24-2014, 06:50 AM. Reason: Link is now dead

Nicely done - and where your doing it purely for yourself, it would take a right arse to object. But I bow to your taste sir! A purplish T-shirt may have been more precise but less T-shirt cool!

PS: as you can see from here: we've had trouble determining the source of that image too!

Comment

Originally posted by Rothgo View Post
      Nicely done - and where your doing it purely for yourself, it would take a right arse to object. But I bow to your taste sir! A purplish T-shirt may have been more precise but less T-shirt cool!

PS: as you can see from here: we've had trouble determining the source of that image too!
      Thank you very much! Just wanted to make it clear that I'm not out to rip Mr Moorcock (or the artist, or the publisher) off in any way, really. It's an homage.

I know, purple and yellow would have been truer to the original! But I thought black and white showed the design off a bit clearer on the tee - looks sort of like the label of a Jack Daniels bottle

That's a nice scan there - certainly much better than any of the ones I've seen elsewhere online. I had to scan my cover at 600dpi so that I could get a nice big, sharp print, and I'm glad I did.

Comment

Wow! That looks awesome! Very decadent indeed...
        forum

1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
        2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
        3. a public meeting place for open discussion

Comment

Originally posted by The English Assassin View Post
          Wow! That looks awesome! Very decadent indeed...
          Cheers! I'm very pleased with it. Now I have to find a new little project to think about!

Comment

Alex- That image is from The Studio,XVIII,Special Winter Number 1899-1900 pg 10. And is by Reginald Knowles. So no worries,the illo is in the public domain at this point. The image has also been flopped.
            The Studio was published monthly in London from April 1893 until sometime well into the twentieth century. It was considered the major media outlets for the spread of the Art Nouveau style.
            I have it in a collection published in the Dover Pictorial Archive Series called:
            Art Nouveau An Anthology of Design and Illustration from The Studio. Selected by Edmund V. Gillon Jr. ISBN 0-486-22388-4 . It may still be available on the Dover website. Mine is from 1969. Hope this helps.
            And if anyone would like a scan,drop me a message.

Comment

Originally posted by Beezus View Post
              Alex- That image is from The Studio,XVIII,Special Winter Number 1899-1900 pg 10. And is by Reginald Knowles. So no worries,the illo is in the public domain at this point. The image has also been flopped.
              The Studio was published monthly in London from April 1893 until sometime well into the twentieth century. It was considered the major media outlets for the spread of the Art Nouveau style.
              I have it in a collection published in the Dover Pictorial Archive Series called:
              Art Nouveau An Anthology of Design and Illustration from The Studio. Selected by Edmund V. Gillon Jr. ISBN 0-486-22388-4 . It may still be available on the Dover website. Mine is from 1969. Hope this helps.
              And if anyone would like a scan,drop me a message.
              Wow! Sorry, I haven't checked back for two years and I wasn't alerted when new posts appeared.

This is amazing new information! Knowing it's actually from the fin de siècle makes me love this illustration even more. Thank you ever so much! I wish I'd returned here much sooner.

Is the original illustration the same, or has it been altered for the cover at all? If so, I'd really like to see what the original looks like!

Comment

Hey Alex- No worries! Everyone comes back to the Multiverse eventually.
                Other than being flopped the image is the same. Although I say that from memory 'cause somehow in the last 2 years,my copy of the Dover book has decided to move itself from where it should be. I'm sure it will turn up. Glad I could be of help.

Comment

Originally posted by Beezus View Post
                  Everyone comes back to the Multiverse eventually.
                  That said . . . hello you buggers.
                  Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Welcome back WL.

You've had a shave i see.....
                    "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Working...
                    X