Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Vintage Toronto Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Toronto Photos

This is one for the photography lovers, or the handful of people like me who don't hate Toronto for some reason. I found a Flickr photostream of interesting archival photos from the city.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/torontohistory

The 1904 Toronto Fire Aftermath subset is priceless. Having just been to Front Street to meet friends and take photos of my own, seeing it as a burnt-out wasteland is chilling.
    Thick as wind-blown leaves innumerable, since 1985

Some great photos there DP!
    "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

I gotta cross the northern border one of these years. That photo of the coal wagon up to its axle in mid-thoroughfare mud is a keeper.

Comment

I've been to plenty of those places and the thought of Lansdowne Avenue as an unpaved rut-filled river of mud actually makes me laugh. I'm sure it wasn't funny to people with stuck carts back then.

Comment

Scenes such as those depicted in the photo we've mentioned above remind me of scenes I've read in fiction and non-fiction about how "the West" was pioneered and then settled (with "the West" being a geographic reference with a meaning that changed over time). The photo reminds me of passages from such books that describe filth, squalor, physical struggle, etc. in the South, where Mrs. GC and I were raised.
          Last edited by Guzzlecrank; 05-15-2010, 01:17 PM.

Comment

As a jealous moderator I've taken the liberty to move this interesting photography related thread to the Photography section of Media & Entertainment which is in my bailiwick where other photo fans are bound to find it more easily .
            Google ergo sum

Comment

No sweat, let it go where it's more appreciated I guess.

Comment

Thankyou Dylerpillar (and L'etranger)
                Fascinating pics

Comment

by-the-by, anyone been to Toronto University or still is who could find out a little more about my late godfather who was professor of German there? Only met him a few times as a small kid, would love to know what his reputation there was? 1950's and 60's I would guess... please via pm. Thanks!
                  Google ergo sum

Comment

I head near U of T frequently as one of the bars/clubs I frequent is on College Street. I'm usually around there rather late so I hope you can find a student or someone who lives on the transit lines at least, but if you have no luck after a time you could private-message me about this.

Comment

Very nice, thanks for the offer, but I want no one to invest a lot of time. Wrote to the university some time ago (and the RCAF for that matter, as Taylor was a retired officer) and never got a reply.
                      Google ergo sum

Comment

Working...
                      X