Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

SFF artists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SFF artists

So what SFF artists are people into? Does anyone collect art books by SFF artists?

I've been getting into Hannes Bok and I'm about to buy a book:

Science Fiction/Fantasy artists? Probably the "usual suspects" - Rodney Matthews, Roger Dean, Patrick Woodroffe, Michael Whelan, Frank Frazetta, Kelly Freas, Boris Vallejo, Julie Bell... And just about everyone who's ever painted a cover for 2000 AD. I'm also very keen on Anne Sudworth. I quite like her paintings, too... ;o)

Comment

Chris Foss is the name that first comes to mind when I think of SFF artists. Sometimes the covers were better than the contents! (I'm looking at you, Isaac Asimov.)
      Last edited by Governor of Rowe Island; 11-25-2009, 12:15 PM.
      You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Patrick Woodruffe who works in the UK was on the Quartet covers of the second Corum trilogy, luckily I picked up a copy of Mythaekopedia (I think that is the correct spelling). Is some one who art work I admire. He might have done the Poul Anderson books as well.

I always found it difficult to see why put a cover on a book that did not match illustrate some part of the text. Always upset me.
        Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

Cool to find some other Woodroffe fans. I've currently got this on my wall, and managed to get a couple of the books before they went out of print.

An artist I really like that I tend to lump in with Foss is Peter Elson. His spaceships blow me away:

http://www.peterelson.co.uk/gallery/...?cat=11&id=181

Comment

That was the name! Elson! I knew there was another artist very similar to Foss but I just couldn't get further than Peter something.
            You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Originally posted by Governor of Rowe Island View Post
              Chris Foss is he name that first comes to mind when I think of SFF artists. Sometimes the covers were better than the contents! (I'm looking at you, Isaac Asimov.)
              Agreed - to a young reader of science fiction growing up in the seventies, Chris Foss was everywhere. Amazing images, and yes, often better than the contents.

Comment

There was a book called 'Great Space Battles' that came out around then that a lot of stuff like that, Peter Elson and Jim Burns and others.

Comment

I'll go for 'The Usual Suspects,' too. Frazetta, BV & JB (got their 2009 on me wall).

Always liked a lot of the D&D artists, too: Larry Elmore, Jeff Easley, Clyde Caldwell. Got a coupkle of 'Art of D&D' books, and a couple of Larry Elmore's books. Got 'em signed, too!

Keith Parkinson (RIP) and Darrell K. Sweet are favs. Keith was a D&D artist, too. Both also did book covers.

Walter Valez is good. He did the original covers for the first five or six Thieves' World books, among others.
                  Last edited by DeepFixer; 11-24-2009, 03:59 PM.
                  Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

Originally posted by opaloka View Post
                    There was a book called 'Great Space Battles' that came out around then that a lot of stuff like that, Peter Elson and Jim Burns and others.
                    Yep, I remember that book. I'm sure I've got one or two similar books full of illustrations by those artists somewhere. I used to love reading about the weaponry and engines and stuff.

Comment

And of course there's:

Rodney Matthews

Comment

I used to have my walls covered in Rodney Matthews' posters of his illustrations for Mike's books. I have his book "In Search of Forever", plus a couple by Roger Dean, Patrick Woodroffe... in fact I have books by most of the artists I listed in my earlier post.

Pebble - Patrick did indeed do the covers for Poul Anderson's books "the Broken Sword" and "three Hearts and three Lions", as well as the Coronet "Corum" books.

Comment

Originally posted by KevJo View Post
                          Originally posted by Governor of Rowe Island View Post
                          Chris Foss is he name that first comes to mind when I think of SFF artists. Sometimes the covers were better than the contents! (I'm looking at you, Isaac Asimov.)
                          Agreed - to a young reader of science fiction growing up in the seventies, Chris Foss was everywhere. Amazing images, and yes, often better than the contents.
                          Yes indeedy. When I was a teen, I copied his style of spaceships with lots of little tiny slit-like windows.

Des
                          Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

I tried to copy that

Comment

I used to try to build them out of Lego!

Comment

Working...
                              X