Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Siletah Slorg of Oberlorn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Neumayer
    Neumayer
    Sorcerer Adventurer
    Neumayer
    Sorcerer Adventurer
    • Jan 2022

Question: Siletah Slorg of Oberlorn

The Last Enchantment is my all time favourate short story. No other author I’ve read has come close to matching it.
    Slorg is another example of your minor characters that captivate the reader.
    But I have always wondered where Oberlorn was meant to be located. The Forest of Troos lies within the country of Org which only has one city, its capitol Org and the city and its rulers were fully described in The Bane of the Black Sword where it even said they didn’t worship gods (like Teshwan). Yet the names Slorg & Org are too similar to be a co-incidence. So did you envisage Oberlorn as another city in the country of Org or a city in Ilmiora or Vilmir or a city from another plane of existance?
    And, have you thought about weaving a prequel to Slorg into one of your Eternal Champion novels, revealing the circumstances that lead to his meeting with Elric in the Forest of Troos. I have always loved coming across those little cross story links like Yyrkoon in Corum’s Sword series and Sadric/Terheli in Corum’s Cold Folk series.
    Regards
    Neumayer
    Sorcerer Adventurer
    Last edited by Neumayer; 01-07-2022, 03:03 PM.
  • Pietro_Mercurios
    Pietro_Mercurios
    Only Slightly Unbalanced
    Pietro_Mercurios
    Only Slightly Unbalanced
    • Oct 2004

I now really need to read that one.

Elric_EndOfTime.jpg

Just realised I have a copy of, Elric at the End of Time. It's in that!

Comment

• Rothgo
      Rothgo
      Champion of the Unbalanced
      Rothgo
      Champion of the Unbalanced
      • Aug 2006

I don't remember, so can't help out: sorry!

Comment

• Pietro_Mercurios
        Pietro_Mercurios
        Only Slightly Unbalanced
        Pietro_Mercurios
        Only Slightly Unbalanced
        • Oct 2004

Read it it this afternoon. Interesting story. But, I'm afraid I've no idea of the various geographies where it's set.

As an aside, it also made me wonder just how much even a character like the oddball anti-hero, Deadpool, might ultimately owe to Elric?

Comment

• EverKing
          EverKing
          Eternal Companion
          EverKing
          Eternal Companion
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Pietro_Mercurios View Post
          As an aside, it also made me wonder just how much even a character like the oddball anti-hero, Deadpool, might ultimately owe to Elric?[/SIZE]
          I imagine Deadpool comes from the common lineage of anti-heroes that generally descends from the like of Elric (and a few others) but I don't pick up on much direct, first-degree, influence. Deadpool was originally created as a parody of, specifically, DC's Deathstroke (Slade Wilson) and more generally the growing Super-Ninja-With-Pockets-And-Utility-Belts trope that grew from the late 80s and early 90s. Making him a self-aware anti-hero was a process resulting from his immediate popularity among many Marvel fans of the day. Ultimately, I suppose there could be an argument that most modern Anti-Heroes owe something to Elric--being among the first truly successful such anti-heroes--but in many cases the ties are rather tenuous and I'd put Deadpool in that category.
          "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
          --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

• Neumayer
            Neumayer
            Sorcerer Adventurer
            Neumayer
            Sorcerer Adventurer
            • Jan 2022

The Elric series was written out of sequence. Michael Moorcock returned to the saga (at different points) to write more. Therefore there are many discrepancies within the saga which is actually just as much fun as it is frustrating. But Oberlorn and Teshwan deserve their own story which would be an opportunity to tie up the loose ends I have mentioned.

Comment

Working...
            X