Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Simenon and Maigret

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pietro_Mercurios
    Eternal Champion
    • Oct 2004

Last week, I finished, Maigret en het Lijk aan de Kerkdeur and then read, Getuige Maigret. The former from near the start of Inspector Maigret's career, the latter several decades later as the commissioner is looking towards retirement. One a tale of one on one detective work, the other a mix of court room drama and police procedural.

This week, I watched Maigret en Finlande, a nice period piece. Very enjoyable, but not a match for the books.

Comment

• Jagged
      A confused voice within
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by fammann View Post
      I haven't read a maigret book. Can anyone recomend me one to start.
      I'd say, with any of the regular books. I myself made the mistake of starting with a special, "My Friend Maigret", which is intended for insiders. Otherwise, you can start almost anywhere, like with Sherlock Holmes or Sexton Blake.
      "If the environment were a bank, we would already have saved it." -Graffitti.

Comment

• Pietro_Mercurios
        Eternal Champion
        • Oct 2004

Finished Maigret en de Maniak van Monmartre (aka Maigret tend un piége, aka Maigret Lays a Trap). Very good police procedural from the Fifities.

Maigret hunts a serial killer. Some nice groundwork laid as Maigret takes an after-dinner conversation to heart, devising an unorthodox and risky route to catching a killer.

It's been made into a film and televised, several times. I watched the Bruno Cremer version and enjoyed it, although the police HQ was scuffier than I'd envisioned it and there were a few minor changes to compress things into a tv film and simplify the backstory. The paperback is definitely the superior article in terms of enjoyment, or jouissance, as Roland Barthes would have it.

There's a Jean Gabin film version from 1957 out there. His first attempt at the role. His second, L'Affaire Saint Fiacre, was pretty much an old country house murder mystery, this story is much more 87th Precinct. Definitely much more Jean Gabin's sort of turf. Thinking seriously of tracking down a copy.

Incidently, of the two proposed tv-films, starring Rowan Atkinson as Maigret, one will be a new version of, Maigret Sets A Trap.

Hope I can get a look at the Jean Gabin version first.

Comment

• GuyLawley
          Champion of the Balance
          • Aug 2004

Thanks for that, which I didn't know.
          I'd also like to see the Gabin film.

In the US it was known as "Inspector Maigret" then also released as "Woman Bait" !!
          Attached Files

Comment

• Pietro_Mercurios
            Eternal Champion
            • Oct 2004

Originally posted by GuyLawley View Post
            Thanks for that, which I didn't know.
            I'd also like to see the Gabin film.

In the US it was known as "Inspector Maigret" then also released as "Woman Bait" !!
            Wow!

Oh! Those French... so saucy! Whilst still containing a grain of truth, that poster's about as far from the plot of the novel as is possible to imagine.

Comment

• Pietro_Mercurios
              Eternal Champion
              • Oct 2004

Went to a comic strip meet at the weekend, came away with a scruffy, but highly readable copy of Maigret en Zijn Dode (Maigret et Son Mort). Number one in a series.

Comment

• Michael Moorcock
                Site Host
                • Dec 2003

Have I recommended the brilliant new Penguin translations ?
                Read and enjoyed Sinclair's London Overground. This is his own art form, in some ways riffing off Jack Trevor Story and J.G.Ballard. As usual he walks around a method of public transport. This time it's The Ginger Line London's latest suburban rail link. Much needed. Digressions on friends including Carter, Ballard, Tennant and self. Lively as ever. Out soon !!!

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

• Pietro_Mercurios
                  Eternal Champion
                  • Oct 2004

Just discovered that Network in the UK have finally released a box set of the complete BBC, Rupert Davies, Maigret series, in BluRay & DVD formats. I've been waiting more than a few years for this one. Definitely top of my Christmas wish-list!

https://theartsdesk.com/film-tv/dvdb...omplete-series

'Andrew Osborn offered the role of Commissaire Jules Maigret to Rupert Davies, who promptly travelled to Lausanne to meet the detective’s creator and ask for advice. The two men hit it off instantly, Simenon catching sight of Davies and declaring “C’est Maigret, c’est Maigret. You are the flesh and bones of Maigret.”'

More details, over on the Network, site: https://new.networkonair.com/maigret

Comment

• EmmaJ
                    Moonbeam Traveller
                    • Nov 2021

Originally posted by Pietro_Mercurios View Post
                    Just discovered that Network in the UK have finally released a box set of the complete BBC, Rupert Davies, Maigret series, in BluRay & DVD formats. I've been waiting more than a few years for this one. Definitely top of my Christmas wish-list!

More details, over on the Network, site: https://new.networkonair.com/maigret
                    The quality in the youtube clip seems rather poor. Is this series so good it doesn't really matter? I read Simenon was a big fan of Rupert Davies.

Comment

• Pietro_Mercurios
                      Eternal Champion
                      • Oct 2004

Originally posted by EmmaJ View Post

The quality in the youtube clip seems rather poor. Is this series so good it doesn't really matter? I read Simenon was a big fan of Rupert Davies.
                      For me personally, the traditional BBC mix of video, telecine & 16mm location shots, is not really a problem. I'd say the HD restoration work is probably comparable to the restored 1958 BBC series, Quatermass and The Pit, that I also have on DVD. I remember watching some of the original Maigret series back in the day, when I was really very young, because my mother was a fan. The opening titles with the Ron Grainger theme, are especially evocative. I've quite a collection of the Simenon novels, in Dutch, as well as more recent the French series, starring Bruno Cremer, on DVD. It was watching that series on one of the Flemish TV channels that got me interested in the character again.

I would say, it's probably a matter of personal preference. By BBC standards, this was a high quality production when it was made. There's a sense of authenticity & immediacy, which may come from the 16mm cine, Paris location shots & live to air performances, as recorded on 405 lines B&W video, but there's also the knowledge, that this Maigret was walking the streets of Paris whilst Simenon was still writing the stories. Plus, Rupert Davies plays Maigret with just the right balance of quiet thoughtfulness, empathy, exasperation & affability. If you were one of his subordinates, you probably wouldn't mind going for a drink with the boss at the end of a case.

There's an interesting review of the box set, over on, The Reprobate site:

The English Take On The French Detective: Maigret Explored

https://reprobatepress.com/2021/09/1...gret-explored/

I've put it at the top of my Christmas wishlist.

Comment

Working...
                      X