Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Vengeance of Ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vengeance of Ebay

If anyone sees any proofs of Vengeance of Rome coming up on ebay could they let me know. Cape say they take this very seriously and are anxious to track down any offenders. Anyone who can help on this so we get a result will, I promise, get a brand new signed copy of the book when it appears!

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

If you've not already seen there are a couple on there at the moment - being sold by some 'big' ebay sellers...

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Vengeance-Of...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/MICHAEL-MOORCOCK...QQcmdZViewItem
    Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Yep, those two have been up for a few days. I was on the verge of posting them in the other proof thread. I anticipate a mad scramble to locate further proof copies on ebay in the hope of getting a signed one :)

Seriously though, it's obviously a major issue for yourself and Cape, so I hope you can plug all the leaks before the book's official publication.
      'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Don't know if it matters, but there's a proof of Mother London up there right now, too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mother-London-Mi...QQcmdZViewItem
        "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
        --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Ah, I was too slow to find this thread... but then, the scarcity of "leaked" copies is a good thing, so I won't gripe that I didn't find any. ABEbooks and Amazon market-y types don't seem to go in for that sort of thing. Perhaps they're stricter? No sأ©.
          "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
            Ah, I was too slow to find this thread... but then, the scarcity of "leaked" copies is a good thing, so I won't gripe that I didn't find any. ABEbooks and Amazon market-y types don't seem to go in for that sort of thing. Perhaps they're stricter? No sأ©.
            The folks at ebay need to police their site listings a little better. There's some truly bizarre things on sale if you happen to do a random search. One girl famously tried to sell her virginity on there to pay her college tuition.

The listing was up there for quite a few day apparently, and bids were in the $1000's by the time the administrators pulled their finger out to remove the ad.
            Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Originally posted by devilchicken
              The folks at ebay need to police their site listings a little better. There's some truly bizarre things on sale if you happen to do a random search. One girl famously tried to sell her virginity on there to pay her college tuition.

The listing was up there for quite a few day apparently, and bids were in the $1000's by the time the administrators pulled their finger out to remove the ad.
              eBay may have pulled her ad, but she still did it:
              Student 'sells virginity' via web

A lesbian university student who auctioned her virginity on the internet to pay for her studies is reported to have had sex with the highest bidder.

Rosie Reid, 18, from London, slept with a 44-year-old BT engineer in a hotel room in Euston after he paid her آ£8,400, the News of the World reports.

But she told the newspaper: "It was horrible... I felt nervous and scared."

She hatched the plan to avoid graduating with debts of آ£15,000 from her Bristol University degree course.

Ms Reid, from Dulwich, had sex with the divorced father-of-two after he gave her a banker's draft, according to the News of the World.

Her partner, Jess Cameron, stayed in the same hotel while she went through with the act nearly three weeks ago.

She told the newspaper: "I felt obliged... to please him as he had just paid all this money."

But she added: "It didn't feel like it was happening to me. I felt like I was watching it happen to someone else.

"I was just so relieved when it was over... I was desperate to get back to Jess as I felt so uncomfortable."

The next morning she said she joined her partner and they "just cried and cried".

The social policy student put herself on offer in January, saying she would rather sleep with a stranger than face years of comparative poverty.

She is reported to have had responses from more than 2,000 men from around the world.

The student was working lengthy hours in order to pay for tuition fees and living accommodation in Bristol when she came up with the auction idea.

She said at the time: "I am devoting too much time to paid employment and not enough to studying.

"It started as a joke, and ended up as 'why not?'".

Auction website eBay later withdrew her ad, but she continued the auction through her own website.

It is not known if the News of the World paid her for her story.
              http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/3554121.stm
              _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
              _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
              _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
              _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I have placed bids on a few "mortal souls" that were on the block. Some of them offered certificates of ownership as proof. I created a user name called Beelzebub and got several emails asking me if I understood it was just a joke. "The joke's on you. I'm highest bidder." Alas, that was before "Buy Now". Alas, I was always sniped by someone else.

Body parts were being fenced too.

Originally posted by demos99

eBay may have pulled her ad, but she still did it:
                Student 'sells virginity' via web

A lesbian university student who auctioned her virginity on the internet to pay for her studies is reported to have had sex with the highest bidder.

Rosie Reid, 18, from London, slept with a 44-year-old BT engineer in a hotel room in Euston after he paid her آ£8,400, the News of the World reports.

But she told the newspaper: "It was horrible... I felt nervous and scared."

She hatched the plan to avoid graduating with debts of آ£15,000 from her Bristol University degree course.

Ms Reid, from Dulwich, had sex with the divorced father-of-two after he gave her a banker's draft, according to the News of the World.

Her partner, Jess Cameron, stayed in the same hotel while she went through with the act nearly three weeks ago.

She told the newspaper: "I felt obliged... to please him as he had just paid all this money."

But she added: "It didn't feel like it was happening to me. I felt like I was watching it happen to someone else.

"I was just so relieved when it was over... I was desperate to get back to Jess as I felt so uncomfortable."

The next morning she said she joined her partner and they "just cried and cried".

The social policy student put herself on offer in January, saying she would rather sleep with a stranger than face years of comparative poverty.

She is reported to have had responses from more than 2,000 men from around the world.

The student was working lengthy hours in order to pay for tuition fees and living accommodation in Bristol when she came up with the auction idea.

She said at the time: "I am devoting too much time to paid employment and not enough to studying.

"It started as a joke, and ended up as 'why not?'".

Auction website eBay later withdrew her ad, but she continued the auction through her own website.

It is not known if the News of the World paid her for her story.
                http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/3554121.stm
                The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

If you've not already seen there are a couple on there at the moment - being sold by some 'big' ebay sellers...

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Vengeance-Of...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/MICHAEL-MOORCOCK...QQcmdZViewItem
                  I already flagged the first one up in the original thread, but I can cope with buying my own copy.

How many proof copies get sent out?

Comment

A lot of proofs go out these days, often to booksellers and interested journalists -- people who might do interviews and so on -- which means they're not as valuable as they once were. Given however that the book's not due out until February, this really is premature and can harm the publisher's promotional plans. Reps leave copies with booksellers, for instance, and it only takes a few unscrupulous bookshop assistants to see proofs appearing on ebay. Cape will pursue all copies reported.
                    Remind me in February, pards, when I'll have some copies and I'll send one to you. And thanks a lot for this!

The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Reminds me of the old 12" 45 'White Labels' with 'DJ copy only - NOT FOR SALE' printed on them that I used to buy in Revolver Records in Bristol... :)

Irksome. Although, I wonder if this underground piracy of the proofs does, in fact, only add to the 'publicity' of a new book? Does this tiny early trickle act as an angler-fish like lure to the incipient buyers - as evinced by the posters on this thread? Increasingrather than deflating the anticipation? I wonder this, as everyone I knew who used to get hold of above pre-release black-market records invariably bought an 'official' copy, too - if only for the artwork on the sleeve?

Or am I being naive and missing the effect of the sale of proofs? :|

Comment

No, you're right. The problem is that those proofs are supposed to go to journos and booksellers to encourage them to spread the word or order copies. To be honest, it's not an epidemic, but Cape will simply tell eBay the sales are illegal and the guy will have to get rid of his copy some other way or maybe just give it to someone. There are so many proof copies produced these days for promotional purposes that theoretically eBay sales of proofs COULD affect sales. Actually, I think you're probably right. I've always, as you know, been inclined to let a lot of stuff appear free on the net -- but I sort of think it should be my decision, not someone who happens to be profiting off both fans and myself. I suppose from my point of view it's the difference between enthusiasts and exploiters. And always has been. I hate the idea of the enthusiast being exploited, even if it's voluntarily!

Comment

Maybe publishers should have a 'proofbusters' fund, whereby anyone who buys a proof illicitly will get a free copy of the real thing and the balance refunded in exchange for shopping the source of the proof to the publisher - a kind of 'bounty hunter' approach.

I'm not sure if I'm being serious or not...

Comment

I'm not sure I'd want to encourage THAT degree of finkery, Z!
                            As long as eBay are apprised, I'd guess that's enough. Proofs always have been sold, but it hasn't of course always been so easy to exploit a collector so directly!

Comment

Working...
                            X