Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Vengeance Of Rome proof on ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Marca
    Eternal Champion
    • Aug 2004

Vengeance Of Rome proof on ebay

A proof copy of Vengeance Of Rome is currently up on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Michael-Moorco...QQcmdZViewItem

I put some bids in to test the water and the price is currently آ£13.99 with nine days to go. I think I'll wait for the official publication...
    'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)
  • GuyLawley
    Champion of the Balance
    • Aug 2004

Well spotted, AV.

Tempting, tempting... !

Comment

Anonymous

The trouble is, they do get sold. Publishers don't really like it, but short of stopping issuing proofs, they can't really do much about it. Some people (if I'm honest, especially lowly-paid booksellers) are always going to decide they need the extra cash more than they need the goodwill of an author they're probably never going to meet.

Not that I'm trying to defend it, mind you - but having been there, I can sort of understand it.

My proof of Vengeance, on the other hand, is sitting waiting for me to finish book 3, which I only started today, so it'll gather dust for a week or two. Apologies to all those who are now cursing me for letting it go to waste!

Marcus

PS Mike, I met your (Cape) editor briefly last week - he seemed very excited about the book (I know that is his job, but still...) and gave me some hints about what was going to happen to Pyat. It sounds like fun, I must say!

Comment

• Marca
        Eternal Champion
        • Aug 2004

The Vengeance Of Rome ebay auction got cancelled a couple of days ago. Mysterious... :D
        'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

• Mikey_C
          Champion of the Balance
          • May 2004

I thought an auction couldn't be cancelled if there were bids on it.
          \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

• David Mosley
            Eternal Administrator
            • Jul 2004

Obviously not. :)

Originally posted by ebay
            We do not monitor our site for particular items, but we often receive reports from eBay users and third parties, as well as individuals and companies who are members of our Verified Rights Owner (VeRO) Programme.

eBay will end a listing if:

it offers an item prohibited by law or eBay's policies
            it offers an item that can be considered an "apparent" or "blatant" infringement of someone's copyright, trademark or other intellectual property rights
            it has been reported by a rights owner participating in our VeRO Programme. We will review the item and, unless there is an obvious error, end the listing

In all cases where we end a listing early, we automatically credit the fees for that listing.
            What is the VeRO Programme?

eBay established the Verified Rights Owner (VeRO) Programme to enable rights owners to report and request removal of listings offering items or containing materials that infringe their rights.
            _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
            _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
            _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
            _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

• Mikey_C
              Champion of the Balance
              • May 2004

Ah - "the exception that proves the rule"! (I always wondered what the hell that was supposed to mean...) :)
              \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

• johneffay
                Born Again Nihilist
                • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                Well, it does say 'Not for Resale' all over the bugger! Someone no doubt blew a whistle.
                And so they should! It's one thing making money out of books which have gone out of print, but profiteering on advance copies is taking the piss.

Comment

• johneffay
                  Born Again Nihilist
                  • Sep 2005

Here's another one.

Comment

• Michael Moorcock
                    Site Host
                    • Dec 2003

You didn't include the address. I think ebay should be alerted, though.
                    Maybe that's what happened to the last one. They're usually pretty responsibile about such things. I know a couple of cases where proofs haven't arrived at the person to whom they were addressed. Could these be being stolen within the postal system, I wonder ? Has happened before. Though it hardly seems worth it! Maybe reps leaving the proofs with booksellers and assistants snaffling them ?

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

• Pietro_Mercurios
                      Only Slightly Unbalanced
                      • Oct 2004

After all the legal kerfuffle, with prosecutions, over pre-publication copies of the last Harry Potter book, perhaps companies like E-Bay are beginning to get more sensitive to the appearance of what could very well be stolen, or at the very least improperly acquired for sale, property, on their sites?

Comment

• johneffay
                        Born Again Nihilist
                        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                        You didn't include the address.
                        I embedded it in the text. Here it is in the raw:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/The-Vengeance-...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

• Pietro_Mercurios
                          Only Slightly Unbalanced
                          • Oct 2004

If it's still up there, perhaps the publishers could twist a little publicity out of this one, by going to the media, threatening prosecution and heaping all sorts of horrors on the heads of E-Bay and the seller?

It worked for JK Rowling and Bob Geldof.

Comment

Working...
                          X