Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Sort of a Pyat related question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sort of a Pyat related question.

Hey there Mike,

I am still reading Byzantium Endures (more than halfway through), and I got to the point where there were references to Gurdjieff and his disciple Ouspensky. It has been at least ten years since I have read anything by either of them, and that was really light reading which I covered while studying into Gnosticism through a Gnostic group called the Universal Christian Gnostic Movement. They are a bit of a radical group, which is strongest in the Spanish speaking world, and I dissassociated from them after coming to know their politics (though for a time, I did teach some free lectures for them primarily dealing with pranayama breathing and meditation since I study yoga). Anyways, all weirdness aside, I was wondering if you could recommend any works by Gurdjieff? Its been quite a while since I have been into any philosophical reading, and the topic came up the other night when I found myself in a group with my friend Christine and another fellow talking about Ayurveda which quickly shifted focus to hinduism and philsophy.
    Yuki says, "Krimson used to be known as Kommando, but he rarely uses that name anymore. Sometimes he appears as Krimson Gray as well. Do not be confused, he still loves cats and bagels."

It's been a while since I read any Gurdjieff or anything about him.
    That book was, after all, written 26 years ago! I was originally interested in him in relation to Katherine Mansfield and also Rudolf Steiner. I saw him, with the earlier Blavatsky and the later Crowley, part of a mystical response to social change and technical advance, so I was never very much involved in his work as such. However, I did read a fair bit of him some 30 or more years ago. Barry Bayley was for a while at least more interested in Gurdjieff. Maybe we should talk about this (Barry and I) in the next Fireside Chat episode in Fantastic Metropolis.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Re: Sort of a Pyat related question.

Originally posted by Kommando
      I was wondering if you could recommend any works by Gurdjieff?
      I was also led to Gurdjieff and Ouspensky by a Moorcock connection, but in my case it was their featuring in Aldiss's Barefoot in the Head. I read Gurdjieff's Meetings with Remarkable Men but I have to say it didn't impress me enough to make me want to read the extemely lengthy Beelzebub's Tales to His Grandson - over 1200 pages!

But Gurdjieff was a teacher, as well as a writer, and what you may find interesting are two books about his life and teachings. Firstly, there is G. I. Gurdjieff: The War Against Sleep by Colin Wilson, and published by The Aquarian Press, which is a brief but interesting biography; secondly, there is Witness: The Autobiography of John Bennett, published by Turnstone Press Limited; Bennett was one of Gurdjieff's most prominent followers, later becoming involved with Subud, and with the Indian sage Shivapuri Baba. These are both UK books - and presumably now out-of-print - but you may be able to get hold of them through AbeBooks.

Hope this is of some help!
      Mike H.
      www.holli.co.uk

Comment

Thank you Mikes!

Mike M - I knew it was a while since you had wrote Byzantium, and sometimes I am forgetful of just how long your career has spanned. Well, maybe not forgetful so much as absorbed. My reading time has always been a timeless experience, especially with your works which have such a fluid chronology. Suffice it to say, I was hoping something had stuck in your mind. Though I can understand your position, being someone who likely spends more time writing than reading. When I think about it, I can rarely remember specifics myself.

I'm not so familiar with the works of Steiner, though I have read Crowley extensively. I've found Crowley to be a bit boorish for the most part, though his works do have excellent moments of lucidity. In particular, I have always been fond of his essay on Energized Enthusiasm, which seems to have some common ground with Pyat. In some ways, I have found a stronger connection in the writings of Crowley's protoge, Charles Stansfeld Jones (Frater Achad), who seemed to spend more time practising the mystical experience rather than intellectualizing it.

Mike H, I appreciated your recommendation. The work you cited by Colin Wilson is likely what I would like to read, as more of a Gurdjieff sampler. The only work I have read of his was the Outsider, and I can't really recall much of it since I was in high school at the time. I am more interested in the basics of Gurdjieff's philosophy and doubt that reading an exhaustive work would be more than, well, exhaustive for me.

Thanks both for your inputs.
        Yuki says, "Krimson used to be known as Kommando, but he rarely uses that name anymore. Sometimes he appears as Krimson Gray as well. Do not be confused, he still loves cats and bagels."

Comment

Working...
        X