Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Pyat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Colonal Pyat books are awesome.

They remind me of Fallout 3 game, now.
    Going Linear Is The Only Game Garanteed To Drive You Mad

Comment

Im just half way into Byzantium Endures at the momment, just started to get the tone and pace and enjoying it. Cant wait to see how it develops. Its sparked an interest in modern Russian history again for me.
      Please Check out my Musical Dedication to work of Michael Moorcock

THE END OF ALL SONGS
      We are looking to collaborate with anybody else interested in making Moorcock themed music - contact me here or on soundcloud.

Comment

I've nearly finished re-reading The Laughter of Carthage, but in my present state of mind it is hard work. Oh well,one day at a time...
        Mwana wa simba ni simba

The child of a lion is also a lion - Swahili Wisdom

Comment

Personally, I prefer the covers for the first U.K. editions of the first two volumes. The black-and-white photos with their feel of documentary are truly great to great to warn the reader that there's something very serious and even immediately important going on beneath Pyat's flights of fancy.

But then, of course, I may just be suffering from what Mike would call "the duckling syndrome".
          Last edited by Jagged; 09-29-2012, 08:29 AM.
          "If the environment were a bank, we would already have saved it." -Graffitti.

Comment

Originally posted by Jagged View Post
            Personally, I prefer the covers for the first U.K. editions of the first two volumes. The black-and-white photos with their feel of documentary are truly great to great to warn the reader that there's something very serious and even immediately important going on beneath Pyat's flights of fancy.

But then, of course, I may just be suffering from what Mike would call "the duckling syndrome".
            I concur - the first hardback editions of the first two volumes are by far my favourites. It's a shame that this wasn't continued - but with the years between volumes its not surprising. Maybe some creative soul on here could knock up some covers for volume 3 and 4 that are in keeping... I might fancy doing it myself if I could find a font that would do it justice.

I like the idea of the four interconnected covers for the paperbacks that came out with Vengeance, but I'm afraid they reek too much of 'desktop publishing' for my tastes. I don't mind desktop publishing, I just hate things to look like they've been made by it. Of the paperbacks it's the PM Press editions that I like the best. Such a brilliant idea. As I have managed not to win any of them, I can see me buying these at some point. I would love to see this done for other authors too.

But what is "duckling syndrome?" Something from Chinese Agent, maybe?
            forum

1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
            2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
            3. a public meeting place for open discussion

Comment

Originally posted by The English Assassin View Post

The tendency to like the first thing/system/whatever that you see/learn/etc, much like baby ducks attach themselves to the first duck/human/hobbit they see. In this case

Or maybe, it is something from Chinese Agent.

Comment

Originally posted by Heresiologist View Post
                Originally posted by The English Assassin View Post

The tendency to like the first thing/system/whatever that you see/learn/etc, much like baby ducks attach themselves to the first duck/human/hobbit they see. In this case

Or maybe, it is something from Chinese Agent.
                I see! I was wondering if it was something to do with the ugly duckling...

Of course the opposite is also true, thinking the latest thing is always an improvement on the original. I'm not sure what I'd call it... utopian sheep syndrome, maybe? Quack!
                forum

1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
                2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
                3. a public meeting place for open discussion

Comment

Hello Everyone,

I may have asked this, or I might be missing the point, but:

Do any readers of MM happen to have a virtual index cards of translations to English of Pyat’s notes and statements?

Such as book 1-4, page number and the language with it's translation.

I don't think I ever figured out some of the Russian*, I merely finished reading the English, French, German and Italian.

I just thought it might be interesting.

Thank you,
                  lemec

*guessing the meaning of the words in context with the story.)
                  (is there Greek and Turkish in there too?)

-then there is the mixture and other assorted languages.

Amazing stuff!

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                  - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Working...
                  X