Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Pyat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pyat

Not a question, just a compliment. I've just finished the final? Pyat novel 'The Vengeance of Rome' it was absolutely brilliant I couldn't put it down, a stunning finish to the quartet. Many thanks to Mike for all those exceptional books and astounding characters. best wishes to all, Harold

I think I'll cave to peer pressure; I haven't read any of the Pyat books yet and, now that I have read another sterling review, I'll have to pick them up. Is there anything else you'd like to add about Pyat (no spoilers please!)?

Comment

When Mike describes a city and uses it as background, you will think he grew up there. The depth this gives the story is unbelievable. And that's not to mention the historical figures that appear. You won't be disappointed Thanos.
      Last edited by Governor of Rowe Island; 02-25-2011, 03:37 PM. Reason: Sp.
      You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

I'll echo Gov Thanos and thoroughly recommend them.
        For me they are Mike at the very top of his game.
        I wish i was reading them for the first time again.
        Enjoy!!
        "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

The thing I found most impressive (and enjoyable) about the Pyat sequence is Mike's utter mastery of the unreliable narrator technique. It got to the point where I was questioning EVERYthing Pyat had to say, down to the most innocuous, why-would-he-lie-about-that thing. The effect being, at times it felt like I was reading at least three different stories simultaneously - the story Pyat was telling me, the unspoken story unraveling in Pyat's head (which was making him tell the story he was telling me), and the story that was most likely actually happening. Not to mention Mike's implied take on the story as well.

If I wasn't such a slow reader, I'd love to give the whole sequence a reread.

Comment

It is good mountain to climb. I read one book as they came out. So like AricohRIP I will need to re-read at some point.
            Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

Are there any US editions of Byzantium Endures that haven't been interfered with by the publisher? Did the rest of the books endure the same myopic flensing?

Comment

There most certainly are LM:
                PM Press are publishing them in their proper form in the US
                And in audio-format, Crossroads Press are the folks to go to.

Comment

Originally posted by Lagartija Mike View Post
                  Did the rest of the books endure the same myopic flensing?
                  Jerusalem Commands and The Vengeance of Rome were flensed so much there was nothing left to publish.

I believe PM Press' editions will start appearing in 2012.
                  _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                  _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                  _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                  _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Thanks! I have a '92 Jonathan Cape UK edition of Byzantium Endures which I presume is sound, and an '84 Random House US edition of The Laughter of Carthage which may or may not have been sanitized for my protection. The rest I know only by rumor.

Comment

I actually turned up at Random House when they were in the process of editing the second book. I thought I was controlling my temper properly but Linda said it was like waiting for an H-bomb to explode. The book appeared unedited. However, I'd say the new British editions are 'definitive'. As you say, gents, the others were more thoroughly edited. I remember Keith Roberts being offered an advance for a book. They asked him to cut a chapter. They raised the money. He cut the chapter. And so on until Keith suggested to them that if they doubled the advance he would cut the whole book.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                      The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                      Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                      The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                      Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Why do publishers consider editing novels at all? I mean... if you're concerned about public opinion of controversial material just don't publish it. Did you have a contract with Random House or something Mike? If someone tried to edit something I wrote for anything other than spelling or grammar I'd tell them to kindly sod off.

Comment

Originally posted by ThanosShadowsage View Post
                          Why do publishers consider editing novels at all? I mean... if you're concerned about public opinion of controversial material just don't publish it.
                          That's a very valid point TS, but I think one needs to (should) draw a distinction between 'editing' a text and 'censoring' it. A common complaint of too much modern fiction is that a lot of it appears not to have been edited at all with the result that much is textually flabby, mistake-ridden and and the worse cases barely readable.

Two recent articles have appeared in the Press on the disappearance of the professional book editor:

The Globe and Mail: Where have all the book editors gone?
                          The Guardian: The lost art of editing

Mike speaks very highly, and fondly, of the late John Blackwell, who (iirc) helped Mike edit the first three(?) Pyat novels.

Censorship, of course, is a different matter entirely, though again, see Mike's response to the censoring of the UK text of The Warlord of the Air.

If someone tried to edit something I wrote for anything other than spelling or grammar I'd tell them to kindly sod off.
                          Would that be before or after you returned the advance for writing it?
                          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
                            If someone tried to edit something I wrote for anything other than spelling or grammar I'd tell them to kindly sod off.
                            Would that be before or after you returned the advance for writing it?
                            Immediately before.

But that's why I asked if he had a contract. I am under the impression that the publisher advance contract system is only for while the work is in production. Mike's stuff has been published by many different agencies over time. I guess I just automatically assumed that Random House would be for a re-print. I didn't get a very good impression of Random House during my years as a bookseller.

Comment

Working...
                            X