Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Bks: Mother London / Jhary attn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bks: Mother London / Jhary attn

Author: Mike Whybark
    Date: 05-08-01 21:19

Hello!

I had a post in Q&A the other day and MM was kind enough to offer to craft a bookplate for the copy of Mother London I have. I wasn't sure where the follow up might be so i thought this blank forum might be a good place to start.

I don't know if M ever wanders over here but I was planning on bringing that book to the Seattle appearance because it seemed the most personal of the books - I was interested to see him refer to Ballard's Empire of the Sun as Ballard's possible masterpiece, something I must say I concur with. That book grounded the wild imagery of his other, set-piece novels in his real experiences; Mother London seemed to do likewise for MM (with I am sure some vaudevillian burlesques thrown in for flavor, as it were).

One theme present in ML which is present in all of MMs work is the outsider transformed by illness into a special being - in ML it was psychic connection to the city and mental illness; in "Elric" it's albinism, mystic herbs, and of course, the sword.

MM's recent references to neuropathy, the cause of the debilitating pain that has delayed the book tour, have generated an interesting question for me: is this neuropathy diabetic? If so, when did this manifest? Has MM been managing an illness and transformed that experience into the works that I for one cherish?

Thanks!
    The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is The Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Author: Jhary-a-Conel
    Date: 05-13-01 20:22

Hey there,

I don't know if Michael wanders over here. I doubt it, but it's possible. You shouldn't be afraid to ask multiple questions at the Q&A. He likes to answer those questions very much. What I know of him is that he very much includes his life into his writings. I haven't read MOTHER LONDON, but wouldn't be at all surprised if he worked his neuropathy into a metaphor for London.

If you are keen to get his autograph, just send your book by return post to Old Main Bookstore, which is down the street. He pops in from time to time to sign books that have bellied up there. I don't have the address handy, but you can find it in the Q&A archive.

I just finished KING OF THE CITY and find it to be astonishing. I finally heard a voice that didn't sound barmy.

Read on brother.

Jhary-a-Conel
    The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is The Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Comment

Author: Max Wilcox
      Date: 05-14-01 05:05

Mike's neuropathy only got particularly bad in the last year or two, so its influence on Mother London is unlikely, but it certainly does seem that he channels the pain into his recent stuff, to varying degrees. But then there are, of course, other types of pain. It certainly wouldn't surprise me if he were going through some form of emotional pain during the writing of Breakfast in the Ruins, for example.

Max Wilcox

Comment

I was probably diagnosed around the time I wrote ML, but the pain was by no means with me all the time and was not that painful, in fact (1986). I was diagnosed in Mississippi after an incident at Grand Central Station (buying the tickets to go to Miss) when I found myself suddenly unable to move my legs up the stairs. I think that was after ML was published. A real irony was what happened to the protagonist in King of the City. I won't give a spoiler here, but an incident there anticipated a similar (though not so dramatic) incident in real life only a year or so after publication. I was in considerable pain while writing Gloriana, however, and Ingleborough's condition provided a channel for describing that. The pain in that case was neuralgia rather than neuropathy.
        I don't think I was in much pain (emotional or physical) while writing Breakfast in the Ruins, but, of course, the subject itself was very painful. What brings me down mostly, these days, is that I have considerable difficulty playing an instrument. My fingers just won't keep the strings down. I've used accoustic instruments for some years and am beginning to think I might have to change over to an amplified instrument.

BOOKPLATES!!! PLEASE NOTE THAT OLD MAIN BOOKSTORE CLOSED DOWN. I CAN NOW BE CONTACTED VIA HOWARD MORHAIM OR WILL RESPOND IF YOU GIVE ME AN EMAIL ADDRESS. I'LL CERTAINLY SIGN BOOKPLATES, WHICH IS THE CHEAPEST OPTION FOR US ALL!

I AM ONLY MARGINALLY DIABETIC NOW. THE NEUROPATHY PRECEDED THAT CONDITION, BUT HAS THE SAME ROOTS -- SUGAR DESTROYING THE SHEATH AROUND THE NERVES. PEOPLE USED TO BELIEVE I WROTE MY BOOKS ON ACID WHEN IN FACT I WROTE THEM ON STRONG, SUGARY COFFEE. I MIGHT HAVE DONE BETTER IF I'D USED LSD!
        Last edited by Michael Moorcock; 11-27-2007, 10:26 AM.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
        The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
        Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
        The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
        Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Mike, I was very sad to hear or your illness and especially not being able to play stringed instruments, I would find that very upsetting.
          I hope that you will still be able to enjoy playing some of the lighter stringed electric instruments.

I agree very much with cutting down on sugar, my own current weakness is Swiss Chocolate and a good bottle of Port..

Comment

Yeah -- chocolate and port will do it! And I DO intend to switch over to electric. Trouble is I lent my Gibson to a friend who's a far better musician than me and I can't handle the Rickenbacker 12 very easily.
            Also, I'll have to get a new small amplifier, I think. My old Pignose has given up the ghost. At least if anyone complains about my playing (my cat Bill, for instance) I can now be sure it's hurting me as much as it's hurting them...
            Last edited by Michael Moorcock; 12-09-2007, 08:20 PM.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
            The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
            Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
            The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
            Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

'Mountain' amps are the best sounding battery powered amps I've played through, and mine is about fifteen years old and still going. http://www.mountainamps.com/

Comment

Working...
              X