Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Origins of Cymoril?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Origins of Cymoril?

Question -
    This question was asked by a reader on 2001-09-28.
    Hello...I am due with my second baby soon, and we found out it is a girl. My husband were considering the name CYMORIL within her name - we think it is beautiful.
    I was just curious as to where you got the name from. I am interested in knowing what culture & time period coined it, what it means, etc.....If it was a name you created, then how did you come up with it?
    I hope you are not offended by us wanting to use the name, if so I understand, and won't (but would still like to know where it is from!) Our daughter's full name is still slightly undecided... Do you have any ideas for me, or maybe a good name link?
    Thanks so much in advance for your time, and answers. Have a great day!

Answer -
    Mr. Moorcock answered this question on 2001-09-29
    Cymoril is a name that just came to me, like the other names. I suppose I chose it for its sound, too. There's nothing wrong with knowingly using a fictitious name -- one of the most famous is Pamela, which was made up by Sir Philip Sydney for his romance. Nowadays it is such a common name nobody asks 'where does it come from'.

Late romances (i.e. those generally by one known hand) are crammed with made up names, most of which I suspect are renderings of Moorish names misheard and the like, but you get Beltingbras and Huginbertet and those are the easy ones. I think they sounded exotic to the ears of people in the late middle ages and perhaps if pronounced as they pronounced them they were easier on ear and lips.

Where my own daughters were concerned I gave them names I liked but which could be adapted to preference (Sophie's middle name is Elizabeth, entirely on the basis that you can get Liz, Lizzy, Eliza, Beth, Betty, Bess etc. out of it, and Katherine was called that because that, too, is a highly adaptable name. I'd be inclined to give a child a traditional family middle name or first name and then something you really like.

Fashions change. My mother was named Nelly after Nelly Melba, but the name
    became a joke on the music halls as old-fashioned and so on, so she changed her name to June, more in keeping with the fashion of her day. She was, in a sense, too old for a June. All the real Junes were the next generation, reflecting that fashion. Both Max and Sophie were uncommon names when we came up with them (Max is one of my favourite names and so is Helen, which is Kate's middle name) but because of that strange zeitgeist which seems to seize us all from time to time, the names are now common in their generation. So Max's middle name is Edward. Traditional names tend to stay in fashion. There's a lot of tough angry little Bilbos kicking the crap out of dogs and smaller children these days, I'd guess.
    There has been a tradition of making up sonorous names from at least the time of the Lake Poets and Poe, of course, was one of the finest creators of beautiful names. I might gently remind you that there is also the health warning that ladies associated with Elric of Melnibone tend not to live long or peaceful lives...

But, I agree, the name has a good sound, so I would be happy to make you a gift of it.

Very best wishes to you all,
    MM

Last edited by Rothgo; 05-09-2010, 12:01 PM.
    The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is The Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Guess what, last year in a library, I hear a woman calling her son Elric.
    I ask her if there was some relationship with the fantasy character.
    She said yes, it was an idea of the father who was found of this kind of things. There was some exasperation in her voice.

Comment

Working...
    X