Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Pronunciations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pronunciations?

Question - This question was asked by Other Mike on 2000-02-15.
    Just for the record, how DO you pronounce Erekosë? Cheers.
    Answer - Mr. Moorcock answered this question on 2000-02-18
    Eh - reh -- kosee. I try to slip pronunciations into various books to give readers a clue from time to time! All best, MM
    The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is The Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Question - This question was asked by Pete Ruttman on 2000-06-22.
    I am wondering if you could provide the official pronunciation of Pyaray? Pete
    Answer - Mr. Moorcock answered this question on 2000-06-27
    Peeye-ar-eh! Best, MM
    The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is The Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Comment

Question - This question was asked by Jeff on 2003-02-15.
      Thanks so much for replying to all my messages,

I hope this is good for a laugh.

I thought I'd pass along an amusing bit about my attempt to get a genuine Frenchman to pronouce "Hulliam D'Averc." Being a typical American, I really had no idea how to pronounce the name at all! When I was in 11th grade, however, (back in the 80s), there was a co-teacher (from Bordeaux) in my French class (which I failed terribly), who was very poor in English, by the by. I wrote on an index card: "Hulliam D'Averc" handed to it him and asked how it should be properly pronounced. His response (he seemed non-plussed by the name!) was "Hue-lee-umm Div-air-k " (though he ran off the final "k" into almost a throat clearing sound.) Does this seem to be about right?

He asked me something like "What is this person?" And I replied that he was a character in a series of books I was reading - and that this character was referred to as the "renagade Frenchman."

"He is most certainly that!" said my teacher, with the non-plussed look still on his face, as I ran on the way to my next class.

All the best,

Jeff
      Answer - Mr. Moorcock answered this question on 2003-02-16
      Guillaime D'Averc, like Londre (Londra) is already anglicised into Huillam, so I can understand a French speaker being baffled by the name! But D'Averc is about right, since that bit isn't really Anglicised. I can't remember how he was translated into the French editions of the Hawkmoon books. I know that Moonglum came out as the very euphonius Tristelune (Sad Moon ?). Of course we could also call Huillam by the English version of his name which is, of course, William. Bill Daverk ? Not sure it would be right for a brave, dandified Frenchman who shares certain characteristics with one Aramis of a rather famous sequence -- or should that be Harry Mee ?
      Yrs
      Porth Euau

Comment

Working...
      X