Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Yyrkoon pronunciation? & Green Empress story?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yyrkoon pronunciation? & Green Empress story?

Question - This question was asked by Michael R. Ames on 1999-10-23.
    Hi Michael-- I was turned on to your writing right after I turned 10 years old, and, although, I read several books per year, I find myself coming back to your Elric & Corum novels over, and over again...what I consider to be the best fantasy series to ever come out of the *Swords & Sorcery* genre.

Two short questions: How do you pronounce Yyrkoon? I can live without knowing the correct pronunciations of every place, and person, in your books, but I just have to know this!

And, secondly: Is there a short story version of, "The Green Empress of Melnibone" form Marvel's "Conan the Barbarian" #15?, that you co-plotted with James Cawthorn? If not, I would love to see one published, and was just curious to know if some old manuscript might be lying around, unused, and unnoticed, as of now? Good luck with the new novels, comics, and all else, and I am dying to read MORE, MORE, MOORCOCK!!! Also, the Von Bek/Elric tie-in is more than a fan could hope for!! Good luck and good writing-- Michael R. Ames
    Answer - Mr. Moorcock answered this question on 1999-10-23
    Yyrkoon ? Exactly as it's spelled. Actually sort of Yir (to sound like the Russian Mir) kuuhn (to sound like the German koenig. But to do it properly you do, of course, need Melnibonean vocal chords. These can be purchased at most good suppliers.

No, we never did a short story version of The Green Empress. It was a bit of a disappointment, which Barry Windsor Smith said he regretted, having no reference by a cover which I hated. I'd been hoping to work with him again, but it will probably be a while now. I'm working on THE DREAMTHIEF'S DAUGHTER now and am enjoying it. Best, MM
    The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is The Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Question - This question was asked by KP on 2001-04-15.
    Hello, Mr. Moorcock. This was a weekend of surprises for me. After taking care chores and such, I went to the nearest comic book store (about 10 minutes away) hoping to find some back issues. They were Conan the Barbarian issues 15 and 16 of which you co-plotted nearly 30 years ago. They didn't have it in stock buttttt, the gentleman who owns the store remembers those issues and he's looking to find them for me. Also, I hope to get the TPB of your multiverse series by the Helix imprint. However, I was able to find some more jewels as in the Elric adaptions in PC comics. Overall, I'm enjoying them quite a bit. My question to you, were you pleased when your stories came out then or was it so-so?
    Answer - Mr. Moorcock answered this question on 2001-04-15
    The early Elrics done by Craig and Mike are wonderfully idiosyncratic versions of the stories which Roy Thomas scripted pretty faithfully, but gradually the quality of the Elrics went off. Mignola's Corum was in some ways the very best of the comic versions and even the guy who took over from him was pretty good, I thought, but some of the later artists were dire and I was happy to end the association with First Comics. The Pacific Comics were in many ways the best. I'm always glad to see unusual interpretations of Elric as long as they're well drawn! Thanks for your interest. Amazon have the Multiverse graphic novel and Stormbringer on their site but maybe you feel, like me, that that's cheating and spoils the pleasure of looking. Keep an eye out for TheSwords of Heaven the Flowers of Hell which I did with Chaykin in the mid-70s. That's a real rarity these days. All best, MM
    The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is The Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Comment

Working...
    X