Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

New Jerry Cornelius Novel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Jerry Cornelius Novel

I am pleased to announce that Tally-Ho, Cornelius! a new Jerry Cornelius/Second Ether novel has been published and is available at Amazon. Mike generously contributed the material on the back cover. The art work is by Kai Robb.

Actually, the novel began in the Q&A forum. A short Second Ether sketch was posted in response to the discussion and Talisant coaxed me on. The post developed into a novel.

Could anybody advise me, please, as to which magazines, journals and blogs I should send review copies?

Thanks!

Here's the Amazon link to the novel:

http://www.amazon.com/Tally-Ho-Corne...6935766&sr=8-1

Last edited by nalpak retrac; 11-17-2008, 07:52 AM.

Sounds excellent MS
    My copy is about to be ordered so it should be in my grubby paws in a week or two(depending on the shipping at this time of year).
    Nice one
    "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Ordered my copy too - once I get hold of it I'll put info about it up on the wikiverse, if that is ok?
      Statistically 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy.

Comment

Nice cover!

Thanks for letting us know, Carter. Mine's ordered.

Comment

Stained glass tentacles; can't go wrong with that!
          Thick as wind-blown leaves innumerable, since 1985

Comment

And just in time for seasonal gift giving! Hurrah!
            "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

I can think of nothing better than THC under the Christmas tree to bring holiday joy to all the girls and boys!

Thanks everyone for being so supportive. Elwher, a THC mention in Wiki would be way cool.

Kai has done lots of art work for THC, and down the road I hope we might see a hard-bound edition complete with all Kai's THC "illuminations". He's working on illustrations for the sequel as well, which I've yet to write, come to think of it.

Here's Mary Make-Believe watching the quasars draw together at the Beginning of Time. She's a bit fey as far as Chaos Engineers go.

Jerry's angelic friend "Cappy".

Typical Corsairs of the Second Ether w/o biopolymer substrate AI enhancements:

And one of Kai's illuminations of Elric:

More of Kai's work here:

http://tekelili.deviantart.com/gallery/
              Last edited by nalpak retrac; 11-17-2008, 08:16 PM.

Comment

wow! wow! wow! wow!

Wonderful news about the book and the art is awesome!

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Scientist View Post
                  Could anybody advise me, please, as to which magazines, journals and blogs I should send review copies?
                  Off the top of my head: Weird Tales, Locus and Interzone all spring to mind since they have Moorcock connections. There's several UK sf magazines with book review sections, such as SFX and Deathray (both of whom have interviewed Mike in recent years) and as long as THC is available in the UK they might be inclined to review it. (I assume Perdix/The Sheditor* could get review copies to the UK sf press?) Of course, they probably wouldn't be able to run any reviews until the early part of 2009, given printing deadlines and other technical factors.

I wonder whether it would be possible (aka helpful to potential sales) to host, say, the 1st chapter** of THC here as a taster to people unfamiliar with your work? Something in PDF format could be tagged to this thread for instance, as well as the Front Page.

*I see Mustard Lid Press are the publishers, so I hope my assumption is correct.
                  **Or, depending on the lengths of your chapters, the first two or three?
                  _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                  _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                  _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                  _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, David. I've e-mailed the magazines you mention to inquire after their book review submission procedures and I hope to hear soon.... I just don't want to send copies blindly. I really feel like a barbarian at the gates! On your side of the pond the Sheidtor says he will send copies to them when we hear something, and maybe if we still don't hear from them by Friday I'll ask the Sheditor to ring them up. They'll either cooperate or get an earful, I'm sure!

I'll get that first chapter or two into PDF and send it to you/tag it to this thread. I've been busy with e-mail and sending out flyers. I tried to attach the flyer file to this thread, but the file size is too big for the settings. (Which for some reason reminds me I have to send a copy off to the Library of Congress.…) I am contacting academics and gently suggesting they order the book for their uni libraries. THC is a beast of a book, iconoclastic, weird, bizarre, experimental, and so on, and I think the audience for it might be academics looking for new self-inflicted hermeneutic thrills . . . in addition to all the kids out there with a taste for out-of-body enlightenment via the moonbeam roads of linguistic psychedelics.
                    Last edited by nalpak retrac; 11-19-2008, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Got my copy yesterday, started to read it last night. Initial thoughts - the Second Ether parts seem to be Aylettesque, which works very well. The New York/ Cornelius sections I am less sure of. Jerry, Catherine and Frank's conversations are in a sort of strangled 1950s British English idiom and gallons of tea seem to be drunk. As a Brit myself I don't quite know what to make of it! BTW much mention of the loo in the Cornelius apartment but no mention of a bathroom?
                      Statistically 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Elwher View Post
                        Got my copy yesterday, started to read it last night. Initial thoughts - the Second Ether parts seem to be Aylettesque, which works very well. The New York/ Cornelius sections I am less sure of. Jerry, Catherine and Frank's conversations are in a sort of strangled 1950s British English idiom and gallons of tea seem to be drunk. As a Brit myself I don't quite know what to make of it! BTW much mention of the loo in the Cornelius apartment but no mention of a bathroom?

Aylett read the book and was unsure of the Jerry parts too. What I offer is a whole new Jerry, but Jerry is in there, more towards the end especially. The question I faced inventing him was this. "What would an upper-middle class Jerry be like? And how would this upper-middle class Jerry also be our Jerry?" He is a physicist, and--why not?--also an Anglican priest. So far so good. As well, I wanted to satirize intellectuals and academics, and so fitting Jerry into that cosmos led me to cast him as I have. There is that chapter, too, in Blood, where Jack has a list of books he wants to read (eg. Prof Pop: Lost in the Boomwap and Professor Pop and the Electric Tea Kettle), and one of the titles is a book on physics by one “Dr. Jeremiah Cornelius.” Ever since reading Blood I've been wondering about that Jerry. Who is he?

An interesting characteristic I noticed amongst the students from England was they flaunted all sorts of Victorian affectations. Lots of "yas" and "pre-rafs" who couldn't get into oxbridge but nonetheless made the most of their posh university town.

Nabokov has lots of fun in Transparent Things with his main character, a European living in England who says all kinds of odd things as he scrambles up the English idioms. I suppose I'm guilty of a bit of that myself.

When I lived in Scotland I hung with lots of students from England, and tea was consumed by the gallon--properly presented, of course: trays, biscuits, lots of "please" and "thank-yous" and "allow me to poor that for you" and "oh, what a lovely teapot" and "this is gorgeous tea!" so that's where that comes from.

When I lived in Scotland they would say "So-and so is in the loo," and there was a shower in there, but your point is well taken. And of course by rights Jerry and Catherine should be washing up in the toilet bowl, then maybe gnawing on a bone as gunfire rips outside the window, but I'm saving that sort of thing for the sequel.

Thank you so much for looking at the book!
                        Last edited by nalpak retrac; 04-03-2009, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Elwher View Post
                          BTW much mention of the loo in the Cornelius apartment but no mention of a bathroom?
                          Isn't that two seperate names for the same place?
                          "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by thingfish View Post
                            Well, you have a bath in the bathroom and you go to the loo in the loo. You might wash your hands in the the loo, but you'd clean your teeth in the bathroom. The fact that, from an architectural point of view, they are one and the same space within your house is neither here nor there.

Reminds me of this rather fine bit of dialogue from Bottom:
                            Richie: I think there's someone in the drawing-room.
                            Eddie: The what-room?
                            Richie: The drawing-room.
                            Eddie: I don't think I've been in there. What, you mean we've got a
                            room just for drawing in?
                            Richie: You're so common, aren't you? What do you call it, the snug or
                            the saloon or something?
                            Eddie: Oh, the lounge!
                            Richie: That's it! Yes, the laaunge! There's someone down in the
                            laaunge!

Comment

Originally posted by johneffay View Post
                              Originally posted by thingfish View Post
                              Well, you have a bath in the bathroom and you go to the loo in the loo. You might wash your hands in the the loo, but you'd clean your teeth in the bathroom. The fact that, from an architectural point of view, they are one and the same space within your house is neither here nor there.

Reminds me of this rather fine bit of dialogue from Bottom:
                              Richie: I think there's someone in the drawing-room.
                              Eddie: The what-room?
                              Richie: The drawing-room.
                              Eddie: I don't think I've been in there. What, you mean we've got a
                              room just for drawing in?
                              Richie: You're so common, aren't you? What do you call it, the snug or
                              the saloon or something?
                              Eddie: Oh, the lounge!
                              Richie: That's it! Yes, the laaunge! There's someone down in the
                              laaunge!
                              We have a front room in the front of our house, and a family room in the back, but our family stays in the front room. We also have a mud room. Have I mentioned that we have a Japanese "international student" staying in our extra room? We converted the guest room to our extra room, once we got a guest.
                              Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

Working...
                              X