Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

JC - Dedicated Follower of Fashion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JC - Dedicated Follower of Fashion?

I'm not sure if this a question or an observation or a random thought, but here goes.

I've just started re-reading the Cornelius quartet, for the first time in quite a few years, and for some reason I've started wondering what a 2006 version of JC would wear.

He's become so identified with his long car coat, flares and frilly shirt in my mind, that it is difficult to think of him dressed in any other way. When versions of him have cropped up in other stories, he tends to be dressed either in his standard 60's gear or in the latest fashions of whatever period the story is set in - dandyish, a little over the top but always making a statement.

Which got me wondering - has he ever appeared in more modern stories, and dressed in more modern clothes - and if so, how would he appear in a modern story? How does the male dandy of 2006 dress?

I don't know why this has suddenly started to interest me, as I don't normally bother too much with my own appearance, but as Jason King must surely once have said, 'True style never goes out of fashion!'. And if there is one thing that Jerry always has, it is style. (In fact, sometimes I think that this is all that Jerry has - or indeed is. Without it, what is he?)

At the heart of all this is the question: Is Jerry Cornelius basically a relic / symbol of the 60's, or should he tend to reflect the times that he is in?

I'm really looking forward to rereading the other books - I'm only halfway through 'The Final Programme' at the moment, and I am already seeing lots of things that I don't recall from the last time - which admittedly was something like 15 years ago - certainly before I became aware of Moorcock's Miscellany, or even the internet in its current form.

I remember my bewilderment from the first time I read them - must have been 1979 - and it took a few goes to get through them all. The more straightforward adventures of Elric, Hawkmoon et al were much more to my taste back then. I am eternally grateful to John Clute for his introduction to 'The Final Programme', without which I don't think I would have persevered. Nowadays, the Cornelius books are definitely the ones that I would take to a desert island with me.

I made this pict many years ago, but I tried to recreate the JC clothes in the FP.
    So if you have "sense of humor" you can have a good time here:
    http://www.myspace.com/dalmatius
    Hieronymus

- Dalmatius -

"I'm forbidden to reign, but I'll never yield before the facts: I am the Cat"

Comment

Originally posted by KevJo

I've just started re-reading the Cornelius quartet, for the first time in quite a few years, and for some reason I've started wondering what a 2006 version of JC would wear.
      CK has lent me a copy of Tallyho, Cornelius! in which he addresses that very problem. I don't think he would begrudge me posting a brief passage:

As he sauntered down the slope of 103rd Street the Reverend Dr. Jeremiah Cornelius cut a striking figure in his brushed suede safari coat, tan bush trousers and rugged kangaroo-skin riding boots. Upon his head he wore a sage oilskin cowboy hat with the left side of the brim bent up and snapped against the side of the crown. The kerchief he wore that morning sported a leopard print, so that as he emerged from the shadows of the street and burst suddenly into the sunshine beating down on Broadway his giant form might strike the innocent passerby as a big game hunter who had misplaced his rifle, or (and more probably) an exuberant Broadway choreographer who had misplaced his inspiration.

Mind you, JC is an Anglican priest in this version!
      "Jerry Cornelius was based, for instance, on a young man I used to see around Notting Hill where there was also a greengrocer called Cornelius of London."

--Michael Moorcock

Comment

Hieronymous - tried the link that you posted but get a 404 message, so I'm still in the dark.

Jerry - what is Tally Ho Cornelius? The vision of JC as an urban big game hunter is a little startling...

Woah! Just had a mighty crash of thunder and the heavens have opened. At last, after weeks of tropical weather (not normal for Norfolk) ie dangerously high temperatures, the deluge is here! At last.

My God. I think it is time to switch off and unplug the computer. There's a hell of a lot of electricity flying round out there - and the house lights have just blinked off and on.

TTFN

Kev

Comment

Here it is:

http://www.myspace.com/dalmatius

(earlier the smiley confused the link )

I took a look at your site earlier today, by the way, Hieronymous. I really liked your work. Have you ever done something out of the Amber series? For some reason I think your style will really fit it. I also saw you had at least 1 Zelazny piece.

Comment

Jerry - what is Tally Ho Cornelius? The vision of JC as an urban big game hunter is a little startling...
            THC is CK's Jerry Cornelius/Second Ether novel, a double pastiche of Mike's work. He started writing it on the Q&A board here back in December, then made it into a full-length novel. Over-the-top and very strange. The full title is The Anglican Communion Meets the Second Ether, or Tallyho, Cornelius! Many New Worlds authors wrote Jerry Cornelius stories in the 60s and 70s, and CK has put together is a 21st century adaptation. In this version, Jerry Cornelius—“the Reverend Dr. Jeremiah Cornelius”—is an Anglican priest who writes up a theology that allows international corporations to take over the Church of England. Like MM's Jerry, his interests include physics and computers. In this version Jerry’s opportunistic brother Frank is “Bishop Francis Cornelius”. The plot is driven by the Reverend Dr. Cornelius's "contact" with the Second Ether, which disrupts his theology of globalization. Perdix posted a mini-mini review over at the PX forum.

Right now he is dressed up like a priest and hanging out with a small boy. He just bought the boy a plastic toy microphone that makes a reverb sound??? Meanwhile, I think his wife Catherine is having an affiar with the woman who directs the Cathedral daycare center???? Nothing's for sure. Just hints. There are long snetences describing New York suggestive of the Beat writers, and then sometimes it sounds like something from the 18th or 19th centuries.

Interesting Myspace page, OD. H, I can't open it either.
            Last edited by Jerry Cornelius; 07-26-2006, 02:01 PM.
            "Jerry Cornelius was based, for instance, on a young man I used to see around Notting Hill where there was also a greengrocer called Cornelius of London."

--Michael Moorcock

Comment

I think I read recently that power outages in the US have knocked out the MySpace servers. That's probably the reason for the 404.
              You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Hieronymus - tried the link that you posted but get a 404 message, so I'm still in the dark.
                Kev
                Now it's working
                Hieronymus

- Dalmatius -

Comment

Some of the Cornelius image is actually from the movie and is Jon Finch's ideas (the black fingernail polish for instance) so I see Jerry more as I originally observed him walking down from Notting Hill Gate tube station towards where I was having my lunch in a long defunct cafe on the corner of Kensington Park Road, the greengrocer's sign 'Cornelius of London' in the distance. That long coat was velvet, he had long dark hair, no frilly shirt, rather pale, black trousers, cuban elastic sided boots.
                  These days, he'd have probably a shaved head, black shirt, black jeans.
                  It's time I did another story, I think, given all the fun they're having in the Middle East, these days.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                  The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                  Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                  The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                  Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                    It's time I did another story, I think, given all the fun they're having in the Middle East, these days.
                    Cheering at the Katyushas?

There's a long thread going on about the situation over at the Reasoned Debate forum. I wonder what's your take on it, Mike, but I don't want to hijack this thread!

Comment

I remember feeling this despairing over Vietnam. When so many civilians are hurt, it takes a while for me to find the comedy (however black).
                      I am helpless, I suppose, with grief. But I can usually get myself together after a while... You have to find literary ways of framing that anger and grief, and ironic ways, too, so that you get to see as many viewpoints as possible.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                      The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                      Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                      The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                      Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

I remember feeling this despairing over Vietnam. When so many civilians are hurt, it takes a while for me to find the comedy (however black).
                        I am helpless, I suppose, with grief. But I can usually get myself together after a while... You have to find literary ways of framing that anger and grief, and ironic ways, too, so that you get to see as many viewpoints as possible.

Very fascinating. Yes, we can't give in to grief or nothing would ever be done about such things.

I'd like to see what a related story would be like, I am always up for another story,haha.

Seriously though, it would enlighten me more on all the angles that I don't see when I look at the situation.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                        - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Some of the Cornelius image is actually from the movie and is Jon Finch's ideas (the black fingernail polish for instance) so I see Jerry more as I originally observed him walking down from Notting Hill Gate tube station towards where I was having my lunch in a long defunct cafe on the corner of Kensington Park Road, the greengrocer's sign 'Cornelius of London' in the distance. That long coat was velvet, he had long dark hair, no frilly shirt, rather pale, black trousers, cuban elastic sided boots.
                          When I asked to my mom to make for me that suit, I used Finch's clothes for the jacket and the shirt with jabot. But I preferred the grey trousers which are described in the FP ( book ), I haven't long boots so I used normal boot for riding horses.
                          By the way this "costumes" was very much apreciated, above all by girls
                          Hieronymus

- Dalmatius -

Comment

Oh yes indeedy! I was wondering the other day how it would feel if another country invaded Britain because they decided that it was time for a bit of regime change, and how we would feel about it - even if our current regime was a dictatorship.

That's an interesting idea. I've never thought about Jerry in that way before, but that could work quite well. Very simple, but it reflects the times. AND, due to my mostly bald head, it means that I can pretend to BE Jerry Cornelius if I feel the need! Brilliant!

Well, I managed to avoid getting struck by lightning, and in the last five days, have moved myself and all my worldly possessions from Norwich to Bournemouth, in preparation for my new job which starts at the end of the month.

And I am currently back on dial-up for a week or two while they sort out my broadband, and it is so slowwww..........

Comment

Working...
                            X