Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Final Programme Script

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Programme Script

Any copies of The Final Programme/Last Days... script floating around anywhere?
    "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

There was a Press-release 'programme' knocking about on e-bay recently...I would think it would be fairly easy to transcribe from the movie, if that's what you were after: it would be entertaining, though, to see where the ad-libs came in...especially the bit in the Cornelius house where the Mr (Dr?) Smiles trio appear to rather fluff their lines after having been gassed (perhaps they really were? That Fuest guy was a bit odd, I understand...).

I'll grab my anorak, shall I?

Comment

That's not a door, it's just a black queen! :)

Comment

Thanks for the tip, I'll check around on ebay. Haven't viewed it in 10 years or so, just before my last move, looking for the script rather than a transcriptionizationxyz, never thought to look til now. Will have to dig it out and jumpstart the old betamax. Have you seen the dvd, read online that it looks good.

Any leads on a source for Asylum, has anyone seen it?

Did find a couple of scripts from The Man and the Challenge (great tv show as I remember) in some University collected papers holding dungeon a year ago, never know what's out there, waiting to be found.
        "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

I've got one of those press programmes. An auction at the SciFi film convention in some hotel in London in 1980 - I think only one other person bid so I got it for a pound. The film had, by chance, just been shown at the British Film Institute the week before. I'd written "J.Cornelius" on my name badge (I was 18 OK ?) and the only person who noticed during the whole weekend was Mat Irvine of the BBC SFX department. Turned out he was an MM fan and had been at the screening too. Perhaps he was also the other bidder for the programme.

I scanned the cover a while back. It's in the[link expired]Final Programme gallery. If anyone's interested I could do the lot but it'll take a bit of time as the bloody thing is larger than A4 so I'd have to stitch pages together...

Comment

Mat Irvine? He did Blake's Seven, didn't he? I built a Liberator model from Comet Miniatures once. Top!

Isn't it ..."It's just a bloody black Queen", CFC?

Comment

Originally posted by DiGiMac
              I've got one of those press programmes...scanned the cover a while back. It's in the...
              Thanks DiGiMac, looks great. :up:

Originally posted by Perdix
              Jeez, thanks alot, now I'm gonna have to dig through a room full of video boxes. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous
                I've got one of those press programmes...scanned the cover a while back. It's in the...
                Thanks DiGiMac, looks great. :up:

Jeez, thanks alot, now I'm gonna have to dig through a room full of video boxes. :)
                This post was mine, up, but not awake yet.

Comment

PS. The chap that played Prof Hira was also in Quatermass II (BBC version) I think; played a chap called Leo who ended up zipping off into space after inadvisedly firing a gun on an asteroid. Poor fellow. What is his name...?

Comment

I'd written "J.Cornelius" on my name badge (I was 18 OK ?)
                    I attended a con once, wearing a badge which read "Billy the Badge"... because they'd asked for my "badge name", and I thought that would be hilarious. And it was.

( :oops: )
                    "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Mat Irvine? He did Blake's Seven, didn't he?
                      There were a couple of the cast at the convention too, but Mat was the most interesting. There were also some models and props on display.

Comment

PS. The chap that played Prof Hira was also in Quatermass II (BBC version) I think; What is his name...?
                        Hugh Griffith (but I had to look it up) also remembered him as Louis XVI in Start the Revolution Without Me.

While scouting out grad schools in the '70s I got the business discount by signing in at a couple of hotels as an employee of the Guild of Temporal Explorers (didn't think that Adventurers had enough of a "professional" ring to it).

Comment

Cripes, it's self-censorship, I confess, and I didn't even realise

"Now let that be a lesson to you!" :)

Comment

Hugh Griffith was always one of my favourite character actors, a mainstay of British post-war movies, including some Ealing comedies, as I recall. Certainly he was one of the stars of the relatively late The Tichfield Thunderbolt. And played Squire in Tom Jones, as fine and memorable a role as Louis XVI. That movie had so many good actors in it, such good producers and such a crap director. Most of the best lines in the end were actually made up by the actors and credited to the director after I had my name taken off the credits! I suspect the line quoted was probably the actor's. After getting together with me and realising it was meant to be a sardonic comedy, the actors came up trumps, including Jon Finch with 'Miss Brunner -- I'm LOSING!' And
                            Sandy (Mrs Peter Davidson)'s line 'Jesus, sir, I don't know what bank it's from' and that whole exchange about wine ('Industrial waste from the Bordeaux region of France' or something like that). With some decent plot dynamics (as supplied by me at the producer's request but dumped by the director) that would have been a great little movie. Oi!

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                            The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                            Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                            The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                            Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

It is a great little movie, really: it grew on me with a couple of watchings (I have the time, as friends often hide behind the sofa when I call). Even with Fuest as a worm i' th' bud. The DVD reviews on Amazon are excellent, BTW. And Ronald Lacey was just brilliant...

PS. For more Finch-related fun, I can recommend the atmospheric and oh-so-of-its-moment-and-milieu (Granada TV, late 80s) 'The Mazarin Stone' (from the Brett Holmes series). He gets to camp it up as Count Negretto Silvius. It's a treat: watch out for:
                              'Continue to dog me if it amuses you; - don't amuse me' with the perfect use of 'general Latinesque Foreigner' word-dropping. Genius. Wonder what he's doing now...

Comment

Working...
                              X