Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

A Cure For Cancer Hardbacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Cure For Cancer Hardbacks

I’ve uploaded cover scans of a hardback edition of A Cure for Cancer, plain brown wrapper (!) 1971, Allison and Busby, which seems to be a first edition.

I’ve also put up a picture gleaned from eBay (if memory serves) a while back, which also claimed to be a first edition.

[link expired]

I suspect the green one is a later reprint, perhaps coinciding with A&B’s 1976 Final Programme hardback; anyone know for certain please?

TIA

BTW I also scanned David Pelham’s Penguin paperback cover which I’ve always liked.

Guy

I've got a brown-cover one somewhere, or I did have...I always wonderd whether MM in the author's photo on the back is stroking a tabby cat or a reticulated python...

Comment

Hmm. Rick Bilyeu's Tanelorn Archives claims there were three separate dust jackets for the first edition, one having a comic strip design? Not sure why. :?

The green one looks like a match with the other A&B mid 70s Cornelius reissues. I have Final Programme and Condition Of Muzak, but have never seen the others.

However, Bilyeu also says that the mid 70s 'reprint' may be a rebinding of sheets from the first edition with a new Richard Glyn Jones dustjacket, which may be why it was claimed as a first on ebay. :? :?
      'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Curiouser and curiouser.

BTW, I'm pretty sure that stroking the python in public was illegal in Britain in 1971, so it's probably a cat.

Comment

The first hardback edition of The Final Programme definitely had comic strip cover art; I've just uploaded it here:

[link expired]

It hadn't registered before that it wasn't in the gallery.

The only word for this Mal Dean cover is tasty.

Comment

Eerie and a nice distort-rendering of Dean's simian Jerry! I love the by-lines, though: wouldn't you love to have a job skim-reading novels and then shoving something sort-of relevant on the cover?

Comment

I think the "tee hee" makes it for me! That is a great cover. Is it a very rare edition? I suppose it must be, as a first edition hardback. Shame.

If I ever have a book published, I'm definitely nicking that idea... er... I mean I'll pay "homage"... :(
              "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Fantastic cover, and it reinforces my opinion stated* in another thread, which is that Mike has been supremely served by cover arists throughout his career.

It would make another fantastic t-shirt too, Berry!

*Demos or PWV will supply the relevant link here
                You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
                  I think the "tee hee" makes it for me! That is a great cover. Is it a very rare edition? I suppose it must be, as a first edition hardback. Shame.
                  :(
                  Dee...! New avatar. Slightly sinister smile there. About to cast a hex?

This hardback seems to come up on eBay occasionally if not often. ABE has 3 copies up at the moment, one in Australia.

http://<br /> http://dogbert.abeboo...ramme&sortby=2

Then there is this eBay item, very cheap, which seems to be it, but has no details on DJ etc., and would be worth asking the seller some questions about before buying, I'd say:

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-final-progra...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

Thanks for sending me back to Rick Bilyeu, Aral. I strongly suspect the Cure For Cancer DJ with a comic-strip design is a figment of someone’s imagination, or a leak from some other plane of the Multiverse.

I’ve found a bit more info by searching ABE, where two sellers have listed details:-

(1) Looks as if the brown-jacketed book I have, and have scanned, is the “true first edition.� It corresponds with this one:

From ABE:
                    ISBN 0850310261. 1971. First Edition, First Binding. Hardcover. First Edition, First Binding. First binding of brown boards with buff endpapers, white DJ printed almost entirely in brown and orange leaving white lettering.
                    My copy has the pale brown, or buff, or what Rick Bilyeu calls khaki, endpapers. The price is shown as both 30 shillings and آ£1.50, which slightly contradicts Bilyeu; he seems to imply the first printing shows only 30s., and a later one (with white endpapers) shows only آ£1.50. Perhaps the later printing shows only آ£1.50, and the earlier one consistently shows both prices?

Help please from anyone with a copy that isn’t price-clipped!

(For readers outside Britain who are mystified, 30 shillings was آ£1.50 in old money sometimes called LSD, and آ£1.50 is 30 shillings in the decimalized currency which came in during 1971, in which one penny became worth 2.4 pennies. Or was that the other way round? Anyway, it’s simpler than bloody cricket.)

(2) As Rick B says, it’s very possible that the Green Jacket version, black boards, with R G Jones illo, is a 1976 re-binding of 1971 sheets, or at least they forgot to take off the 1971 indicia page when they reprinted. Hence it is often quoted as a 1971 first edition. Naughty naughty A&B if that is the case!

Quoting from ABE again:
                    ISBN:0850310261
                    First Edition. 1971. This copy has the Currey "B" binding; black boards, spine lettered in gold, dustjacket on white stock printed in black and green.
                    Perhaps the famous L. W. Currey himself is responsible for some of this confusion if he didn’t know that the 1976 edition was in fact not a 1971 edition, but I don’t have a Currey to refer to. John, Mike, Ian, Graeme, everyone; does anyone have the revised 2002 Currey?

Comment

Mal Dean did the original cover for Cure, which was indeed a comic style cover. The A&B reps thought the trade would be put off by the cover, since it was in the same spirit as the illustrations inside, so A&B, against our will and without our original knowledge, pulled the cover and put tht plain cover on. I actually have a copy with the original, but otherwise unpublished, jacket. There might be one or two others drifting around. They would be very rare indeed, however. It's possible that the Glyn Jones cover, done when they did Condition of Muzak and reprinted or republished all the Cornelius books in a uniform edition, was done for bound or rebound sheets of the original first.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                      The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                      Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                      The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                      Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

PS Similarly for Letters from Hollywood. I still have some of the original jackets, which had a different Foreman picture on them. Again, the reps, for mysterious reasons, thought the cover wouldn't go down well and it was substituted later. I have given away some copies to people over the years which had both jackets on them, since I had more spare jackets than copies.

The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                        Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                        Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Originally posted by GuyLawley
                          (For readers outside Britain who are mystified, 30 shillings was آ£1.50 in old money sometimes called LSD, and آ£1.50 is 30 shillings in the decimalized currency which came in during 1971...)
                          Try and explain it to someone who doesn't know about it and they look at you as if you're on LSD. :lol:
                          You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

I reckon it made for a more flexible British mind, having to do all that calculating in three different systems. Decimal is simpler, of course, but it doesn't let you work in duodecimal, which remains a more flexible system and the one I've written several books using, including Mother London... :)

Comment

Dear all,

All four 'Cornelius Quartet' 1st ed. hardcovers had reprints with different dust-wrappers. The first three were reprinted in 1976, but 'A Cure For Cancer' never acknowledged this, simply reprinting the innards of the 1971 1st ed.

The 2nd h/c ed. of 'The Final Programme' has, I think, Jerry and his Duesenberg, in a sort of sepia colour, varying shades of brown, drawn by Richard Glyn Jones.

The 2nd h/c ed. of 'A Cure For Cancer' has, as discussed above, a pictorial cover (by R.G.J.) as opposed to the lettered one or the never-published comic-strip one (matching 'T.F.P.' 1st ed.) by Mal Dean.

The 2nd h/c ed. of 'The English Assassin' has a single silhouette of Jerry as opposed to the multiple-silhouette 1st ed. (both by R.G.J.).

'The Condition of Muzak' 1st ed. h/c came out in 1977, and was reprinted later that same year, adding blurbs for it to the dust-wrapper.

I think that's all, f'now.

Best,

John.

Comment

Working...
                              X