Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

New comic to feature Jerry Cornelius

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Already done, Guy.
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Nice work, gents.
      You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

(1) Nice work, David!

(2) Have to say I'm underwhelmed by Midnight Kiss.

Comment

Moore Jerry Cornelius Comics - Next LOEG volume to feature JC

Originally posted by GuyLawley View Post

The latest Alan Moore / Kevin O'Neill LOEG book, Black Dossier, will have to go in the Gallery as having a Jerry C cameo appearance (well, Mrs C and Catherine, at least, with Jerry and Frank just off stage).
          Hi Guy,

I just thought I'd correct what you said here - as I'm sure you've noticed, Jerry and Frank do in fact appear in the Black Dossier. Unfortunately, it's difficult to explain where as there no page numbers - but it's about half way through, just before the second set of dossier extracts, in the top panel of a page of three dialogue-less panels, that's Jerry and Cathy pulling Frank out of the freezer (at least I think that's what's going on!) while Mrs. C is giving the finger to Drummond.

Anyway, that's not the main reason for posting a reply - rather it's to draw attention to this, for anyone who hasn't seen it:

"Cornelius is [not only] seen in Alan Moore's The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Black Dossier as child. Cornelius will be appearing in the second part of Alan Moore's three-part comic The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Volume III: Century."

Here are links which tell you more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lea...e_III:_Century

http://www.comp.dit.ie/dgordon/League/loeg0028.html

Comment

Originally posted by Jherek Cornelius View Post
            Hi Guy,
            I just thought I'd correct what you said here - as I'm sure you've noticed, Jerry and Frank do in fact appear in the Black Dossier. Unfortunately, it's difficult to explain where as there no page numbers - but it's about half way through, just before the second set of dossier extracts, in the top panel of a page of three dialogue-less panels, that's Jerry and Cathy pulling Frank out of the freezer (at least I think that's what's going on!) while Mrs. C is giving the finger to Drummond.
            Well spotted, Jherek. I had noticed this scene when I first read through the book, but forgotten it when I posted. It puzzles me. I’m sure you’re right that it is Jerry and Catherine, but the blue/dead man looks very adult to be Frank. Perhaps something odd has been going with Time. I note Jerry is almost “off-panel” still as we don’t see his face.

And what is that comic in Jerry’s back pocket?

The Black Dossier still has some secrets to give up, despite having been quite thoroughly analysed (see below).

This scene is page 94, panel 1; Jess Nevins's excellent Black Dossier pages entry for page 94 makes no mention of the first panel, so what others have made of this scene I don't know.

http://www.shsu.edu/~lib_jjn/dossier.html

I note the section on Mrs C’s first appearance (page 20) compares her to the (putative) landlady whose rooms Winston and Julia stay in in 1984. Could be coincidental but it fits well (especially the reading of the Forbidden Book.)

Very pleased to hear more about Jerry's planned appearance in a future installment of League. Thanks for that.

Comment

Originally posted by GuyLawley View Post
              Well spotted, Jherek. I had noticed this scene when I first read through the book, but forgotten it when I posted. It puzzles me. I’m sure you’re right that it is Jerry and Catherine, but the blue/dead man looks very adult to be Frank. Perhaps something odd has been going with Time. I note Jerry is almost “off-panel” still as we don’t see his face.

And what is that comic in Jerry’s back pocket?

The Black Dossier still has some secrets to give up, despite having been quite thoroughly analysed (see below).

This scene is page 94, panel 1; Jess Nevins's excellent Black Dossier pages entry for page 94 makes no mention of the first panel, so what others have made of this scene I don't know.
              Now I look again at the panel, I think you're right that the figure is too adult to be Frank, so god knows who it is! But, as for the comic in Jerry's back pocket - I think it's just a copy of 'The Trump' (the available letters would fit) which sadly has no Moorcock connections (to my knowledge).

I discovered Jess Nevin's wonderful site five years back or so when I was reading LOEG books 1 & 2. Incredibly helpful, though, as you say, never managing to exhaust all the multifarious references that the evil genii Moore and O'Neill manage to cram in! I've not managed to work all the way through the Black Dossier annotations yet, though I noticed your name amongst the credit - did you contribute to the others too?

By the way, I now know who you are! I'm pleased to say that, as a comics fan and JC fan, I bought the Saga of the Man-Elf when it came out (I guess there weren't enough of us?). I don't have them to hand and I'm trying to remember - it was published by Trident, was that Martin Locke's venture, or was that Harrier, and Trident was Martin Skidmore's?
              Takes me back, anyway! I thought I had all the issues (1-4) but discovering this site I've found there was an issue 5. I don't suppose you have any spare copies kicking around...
              Last edited by Jherek Cornelius; 03-02-2008, 05:58 AM.

Comment

I might have a spare no.5 in my airtight garage. I’ll have to check, next time I break the hermetic seals.

That finished Book One of what should have been a 3-book “saga” (plus I developed grandiose plans for a series of short stories of the same characters to appear in Trident’s anthology title.) Sadly reality bit me on the bum when sales were below even Trident’s modest expectations; the “black and white boom” was well and truly over by then!

Trident Comics was indeed Martin Skidmore’s venture, and some fine stuff they did publish. Mark Millar’s first professional work, I think, to name but one. And he continues to produce fine material, IMHO.

I don’t remember contributing anything to Jess’s earlier pages. I came pretty late to this new set too; most of my contributions lagged behind Jess’s first update, others having beaten me to it.

Jess chose not to publish my one small gripe; Jack Trevor Story’s Albert Argyle is supposed to be blond and pretty good looking. In the Black Dossier he looks like a ratty version of Flash Harry from St Trinian’s.
                Last edited by GuyLawley; 03-02-2008, 01:15 PM. Reason: font! para! font size!

Comment

OMG!

I can hardly wait...yet my workload is simply Killling Me.Sigh...
                  Mwana wa simba ni simba

The child of a lion is also a lion - Swahili Wisdom

Comment

Working...
                  X