Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

New comic to feature Jerry Cornelius

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New comic to feature Jerry Cornelius

The following news item appears in the current (April 2005) edition of Comic International. Could be good. I have no idea about this comics writer's track record.

-----------------------------

AP's Jerry Cornelius

AP COMICS' Tony Lee has pulled off a significant coup with only his third major project. Renowned author Michael Moorcock has given the fledgling British writer the green light to feature his multiverse-spanning hero Jerry Cornelius as a recurring character in Midnight Kiss, an ongoing mature readers title that StAlbans-based APC launches in July.

Moorcock is best known to comics fans from the adaptations of his heroic fantasy creations Elric, Corum and Dorian Hawkmoon. But his involvement goes back much further, as he both edited and wrote for the UK weekly Tarzan Adventures from the age of 16.

Multiple influence

Even now his influence can be seen, most strongly through his creation of the fictional multiverse theory, which he used to launch Jerry Cornelius, embodying a concept which can be seen in much of his writing, that of the Eternal Champion, with multiple identities across multiple dimensions. It is this multiverse concept which forms the basis of Lee's Midnight Kiss. "Every realm co-exists at the same time, in the same space, cannot be perceived by rational minds - and only a few are able to travel them," said Lee.

Hailed by such authors as William Gibson and Bruce Sterling as the first cyberpunk hero, Jerry Cornelius was the inspiration for the band Human League, starred in a Blue Oyster Cult song (Veteran of the Psychic Wars) and won Moorcock a platinum disc for the Hawkwind track Warrior on the Edge of Time. In comics, Cornelius was the acknowledged inspiration for Alan Moore's Watchmen and for much of Neil Gaiman's comics work.

Mick Jagger had been offered the role by David Puttnam for the Cornelius movie, The Final Programme (1973), but turned it down as "too freaky".

But what makes this character unique is that in keeping with the multiple identities role, Moorcock has actively encouraged other authors to use his creation. However, he did express displeasure over the Grant Morrison hero Gideon Stargrave (Near Myths, 1978) bearing too strong a resemblance to Cornelius and also asked Moebius to change the name of his lead character in The Airtight Garage of Jerry Cornelius

AP's Tony Lee has obviously been luckier.

---------

I will be writing to remind CI about The Saga Of The Man Elf, 1989, in which another fledgling writer gained permission to use Jerry, Una, Shakey Mo, old uncle Bish Beesley and all.

As seen here:

[link expired]

Anyone else who wishes to remind Dez Skinn and crew about this previous dead duck of a comic is of course free to do so at:

[email protected]

Somebody at Comic International has obviously been doing their homework and reading this site! :)

I had the first two, or three of the ManElf series, when they came out. They were pretty good! The inclusion of Jerry was obviously a big draw for me. The publication was a bit erratic (if I remember) and RL got in the way of my comic buying fun. So, I never found out what happened to them all.

:(

I'll have to put my mid-80's fan comic up here sometime. The truth about Mrs Thatcher and Ms Brunner!

Comment

Originally posted by AndroMan
      I had the first two, or three of the ManElf series, when they came out. They were pretty good!
      Guy won't argue with that appraisal... :)
      'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Somebody at Comic International has obviously been doing their homework and reading this site! :)

I had the first two, or three of the ManElf series, when they came out. They were pretty good! The inclusion of Jerry was obviously a big draw for me. The publication was a bit erratic (if I remember) and RL got in the way of my comic buying fun. So, I never found out what happened to them all.

:(

I'll have to put my mid-80's fan comic up here sometime. The truth about Mrs Thatcher and Ms Brunner!
        Comics International is usually pretty good at reporting Moorcock-related items. Someone there is a fan, I think.

I'd love to see your version of the Brunner / Thatcher story. The Man Elf comic was pretty obviously a bit of a comment on some simlarities.

I think I've got a spare set or two if you'd like to know how the story turned out. It was only Book One of 3 planned books so the rest of the story will never be told. Do mail me off-list if you'd like copies.

Guy won't argue with that appraisal...
        Oh, I dunno! It could've been a lot better. Overall I was fairly pleased with the story, though the artwork, while great in places, was inconsistent and problematic.

Comment

That was by you? 8O

I'd like a set if you still have some spare!

Comment

Originally posted by Typhoid_Mary
            That was by you? 8O

I'd like a set if you still have some spare!
            Zoinks!

I'll have to limit this to 2 full sets, so the lucky winners may have already been chosen.

After that I will still have a few spare copies of some issues.

Please e-mail off list.

Comment

I have copies of the first two. I pulled them out, and sure enough, right on the inside cover it reads "Words: Guy Lawley."

Now I know why your name sounded familiar, Guy. But how do we know you're the real Guy Lawley? :lol:

Comment

And very good it was, too. I enjoyed it. Man Elf was the best use of Jerry by Another Hand in comics, in my view. Bryan Talbot, of course, also used quite a lot of the Cornelius (and Bastable and Gloriana) stuff in the Luther Arkwright stories and Comics International don't mention the Jerry Cornelius strip done by myself, Mike Harrison, Mal Dean and R.Glyn Jones in IT I wrote to Comics International to tell them that I have no problem with Jerry appearing as a secondary character in other peoples' work and that I LOVED Mobius's version -- it was a complete misunderstanding on his part that I didn't like it. I was able to put all that straight a bit later when I talked to Mobius. My objection to Grant's use of Cornelius material was that it was pretty much a word for word lift and that's a lot different, in my view, from riffing off the character. Alan Moore did what I'd intended to happen when I opened JC up to work by other hands -- he ADDED to the mythos, just as Mike Harrison did in his three brilliant stories reprinted in The New Nature of the Catastrophe.
                As Harrison said -- Cornelius was in many ways a TECHNIQUE rather than a character. In Harrison's hands, he was both.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

I thought I'd managed to curtail most of my obsessive collecting instincts, but the idea that there are comics out there with Jerry & co in, that I've never seen, really needles me (ho ho) for some reason. Are they all being represented in the image gallery? Is there any chance of a quick list from the more informed readers, just to set me drooling? 8) Cheers!

I know, it's my own fault for resisting the call of eBay!
                  "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Mobius did an album containing many of his strips. I know for sure they appeared in Major Fatal, published by Les Humanoides Associes in 1979. I have a copy of that with a magnificent picture of Jerry drawn in it by the great man himself (who happens to be a very nice bloke). My guess is that there's another edition out there, too. The hardback of The New Nature of the Catastrophe reprinted the whole IT strip. That shouldn't be too hard to find second hand. It was left out of the paperback because it wouldn't have reproduced properly. It might be worth your while, if you're THAT obsessive, to keep an eye out for future issues of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen... I'm also toying with the idea of doing a new Jerry Cornelius comic myself.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                      My guess is that there's another edition out there, too. The hardback of The New Nature of the Catastrophe reprinted the whole IT strip. That shouldn't be too hard to find second hand.
                      Indeed not. How does it compare with Savoy's My Experiences in the
                      Third World War
                      ? Anyone?

It might be worth your while, if you're THAT obsessive, to keep an eye out for future issues of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen...
                      As a fan of Kevin O'Neil's work from my early teens, I really must pick up the graphic novels of that series soon. I've been out of the comics loop for a while now, but since graphic novels are everywhere these days, there's really no excuse... well, except for poverty of course.

I'm also toying with the idea of doing a new Jerry Cornelius comic myself.
                      I hope you do. His appearance in Fabulous Harbours certainly whetted my appetite for another taste!
                      "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

For those of you interested in seeing my primitive Jerry Cornelius Strip, from the Eighties, 'Prometheus Gets Burned', just click on the link to my Website and click about below the Jerry Cornelius Comic Logo.

:)

Is it worth posting up on the Gallery?

Comment

Originally posted by Androman
                          For those of you interested in seeing my primitive Jerry Cornelius Strip, from the Eighties, 'Prometheus Gets Burned'...
                          Yes?
                          ...just click on the link to my Website and click about below the Jerry Cornelius Comic Logo.
                          ...Yes...
                          is it worth posting up on the Gallery?
                          Yes.

Comment

Is it worth posting up on the Gallery?[/size]
                            I'll do it, if you don't mind...

Comment

Cool. I hope we keep up on this - especially when an artist is announced.
                              Miqque
                              ... just another sailor on the seas of Fate, dogpaddling desperately ...

Comment

Working...
                              X