Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Moorcock's views on Airtight Garage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moorcock's views on Airtight Garage?

Hope you do not mind me interjecting here, this is my first foray in this realm, and hopefully this response is appropriately placed. I have been researching the purported property dispute due to the contented use of Jerry Cornelius name with Epic in the reprint of Moebius's comic take and this past response by Mr. Moorcock popped up. As Mr. Moorcock has clarified this as a misunderstanding it conflicts with other recorded accounts, namely on the internet under the Airtight Garage listing on Wikipedia. It further causes me some embarrasment as this false accusation of Mr. Moorcock's displeasure has been personally believed for some time as a stipulated recall of the authors original open call regarding said character. In personal and shared interest, it has apparently been a false misconception that significantly alters my understanding of the ongoing exchange. If Mr. Moorcock you should have the time and wish to currently expound a bit more on this, or direct me to other specific remarks by you regarding this comic misunderstanding it would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by meernaum View Post
    ...or direct me to other specific remarks by you regarding this comic misunderstanding it would be greatly appreciated.
    Do these help any, meernaum?

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock View Post
    I had absolutely no problems with Moebius, who I regard as a friend, bu he HEARD (erroneously) that I wasnt happy with Airtight Garage and so changed it. I did not ask him (or want him) to change it but he's a courteous man...
    Wikopaedia's [sic] wrong there, I fear. I didn't retroactively withdraw permission. Moebius was a friend of friends of mine when he started and someone (I don't know who) told him I didn't like the strip. I loved the strip, though I'd said it wasn't really Jerry Cornelikus. This got taken to mean by someone that I didn't like it and Moebius, whom I came to know later and explain that I hadn't withdrawn permision, took the JC out of the title. He knows now that I liked it and had no problems with it.
    ...Where Jerry Cornelius is concerned, I don't have any objection to an enthusiast using him, but I object a lot to someone pinching chunks of my books, or paraphrasin them, and presenting that work as their own. That's why I had no objection to Moebius's use of Cornelius...
    I loved The Airtight Garage of JC but someone told Moebius, absolutely wrongly, that I wasn't happy with his use of the name.I learned all this much later...
    The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is The Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Comment

Reply to the clarifying citations

To the person behind the cosmic balance,

Many thanks for your timely response regarding the request for pointing to present clarification around this past comic exchange. Though I endeavor to seek out several sources beyond the oft erroneous details given in Wikipedia this is the first attempt made in directly contacting the original author as to this nominal dispute. From these faulty accounts and discoursed rumors it has been my mistaken impression that Mr. Moorcock had certain misgivings after his open submission around the authorial adoption of his initial character Jerry Cornelius that have incorrectly informed certain relations cited within personal posts regarding this contentious subject. Due to my own flawed understanding then there has been further false conveyance regarding the following reasons for this substitutive title being conducted in the American translation of Moebius’s former heading boldly remarking upon the wayward fictional figure. Beyond the multiple sources this is the first effort to directly contact Mr. Moorcock and it is with much chagrin that some form of correspondence was not previously undertaken to corroborate this supposed charge with the principal author. Though these comments and reviews relating to this past appropriation are submitted without expectation of professional recognition or wider publication and are primarily posted within an Internet sub-sphere-The Steampunk Empire; it is a matter of concern that my own posts- though conducted by an admitted amateur- are backed up or founded upon accurate research. As such there is some considerable amending to be carried out to correct my past statements that were unfortunately misinformed surrounding this subject. In this action I hope to remain a certain atoning aficionado who though given to wild speculations still aspires to soundly support his rather winded suppositions.

One of MM’S extensive admirers,
      Noah Meernaum

Comment

Hello Noah,

There are, not surprisingly with a career as prolific and enduring as Mr. Moorcock has achieved, many myths and legends and half-truths surrounding his life and work that obfuscate and confuse the unwitting scholar and chronicler of said author, (to wit: it was widely believed (by some) that Mr. Moorcock had passed away in the year MCMLXXI from cancer of the lung - despite the evidence that new work continued to be published post the dating of his supposed terminus); by comparison a simple innocuous misconstruing of his assessment concerning the legitimacy of a derivative work would seem to be proportionately picayune.

*Draws breath*

I think, if you will forgive me, I will henceforth dispense with the elaborate linguistic flourishes and instead revert to a simpler mode of communication.

I note the following comment made by yourself at The Steampunk Empire, which I take to be the source of your previously remarked concern:

In full disclosure, discovering that Moorcock reneged upon his own open adoption of his creation Jerry Cornelius being freely used by comic maker Jean Giraud (or as he is also ascribed Moebius) further turned me off lending novel credence to Moorcock's original offerings.
        Believe me, Mike has been accused of much worse literary offences in his time (patriotic Tolkienistas seem to take particular pique at the merest hint of a notion that Mike may not be as enamoured of Professor Tolkien's legendarium as themselves). To an extent, I understand your...embarrassment(?); some sf/fantasy readers consider Mike a 'hack writer' (despite the fact he hasn't churned out 'pulp fiction' to pay the bills for the best part of three decades - and that would only seem to be an offence if one thinks the supporting of New Worlds magazine at the time was a futile and pointless exercise), or that his '60s & '70s era sf/fantasy fiction lacks the modern sophistication of more contemporary authors. On the other hand - and perhaps more pertinent to where your own interests lie - Mike has himself expressed a singular disappointment that much so-called 'Steampunk fiction' seems more interested in airships and brass fittings than in the exploration of political and cultural Imperialism that were the main themes of his Bastable trilogy. (I can probably find you a source for such expressions, though it may take a little time to locate them in the Q&A.)

But I digress...

In my opinion, one of the more common misapprehensions* regarding Jerry Cornelius is the number of people who appear to maintain the (erroneous) notion that Jerry is, in some way, Open Source. He is not. He was and always has been the IP of Michael Moorcock, Esq. What Mike did was allow other writers (of his acquaintance) to use Jerry for their own devices, though it should be noted that the Cornelius stories of Messers Aldiss, Harrison, Spinrad, Sallis, Jones, et al were first published by Mike himself in New Worlds, so there is a palpable sense of him having given his blessing to their endeavours since he (presumably) considered them worth publishing.

M. Giraud, I believe, understood that Jerry was somehow in the public domain and so assumed he was free to create his own narrative without recourse to Mr. Moorcock. (Ditto M. Philippe Druillet who likewise appropriated Elric without Mike's permission for his graphic work Le Saga D'Elric Le Necromancien.) As Mike notes, Moebius' Jerry Cornelius has very little in common with Moorcock's Cornelius bar the name and given such it seems to me that the eventual retitling was not wholly ill-fitting and in some ways better fits the work allowing it to stand upon its own merits rather than having the patronage of Mr Moorcock forced upon it by the reader.

Anyway, welcome to the Multiverse. I trust you will find your time here rewarding and enjoyable.

*The other being that the Cornelius novels are Science Fiction. They're not.
        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

The regrettable reply and appropriate place for amended essay

Dear David and all of multidimensional interests,

Indeed the passage linked from my past post is the most regrettable recent relation relaying a false impression of the alleged graphic dispute. No doubt Mr. Moorcock is accustomed to being unfairly represented upon this particular exchange-among many other misquotes- and surely tires of having to correctly explain this erroneous comic contention that continues to be widely related. That he does take the time to personally return to this and other contentious charges is indicative of his ongoing charitable and considerate regard-here and elsewhere.

The issue of adapted character usage taken from other artists or writers has certainly changed considerably since-for instance- Mr. Moorcock's mature treatment of E. Nesbit’s own Oswald Bastable in the 1970's. Through updated copyright clauses fictional characters have become more solidly an intellectual property of their creators although the corporate field of comics while granting some artists/authors the right to retain any new fictional figures still have strict measures as to how they are handled or summarily presented.

It is through this possible litigious aspect in particular that the lawyers for Marvel Comics may have had some of their own allowable misgivings in continuing to announce Jerry Cornelius within Moebius’s Epic imprint. This of course is more personal speculation, as Mr. Moorcock has stated that it was solely Moebius’s decision resulting from a rumored dissatisfaction that was overheard by the original author as to the undue graphic adaptation of his initial fictional character that was the cause of the substitutive title. Mr. Moorcock has stressed that his mutual exchange regarding the noted adoption of Jerry Cornelius was and is extended as a certain template for other artists to adapt and the specific definition of open use is another term that deserves to be rectified as to my past reference towards it directly issuing from Mr. Moorcock.

My own meager part in presently readdressing this misinformation may not replace the past untrue articles that are currently accessible on the Internet, yet it is for me a matter of individual responsibility to resolve my prior statements. I appreciate everyone here taking the time to share your opinions and pertinent links to any sustaining records that can aid in clarifying any unsound supporting materials. I have been searching for remarks from Jean Giraud/Moebius about this misunderstanding to no avail. There is intent to post the revised review within this sphere as well as in The Steampunk Empire. As to a forum within these environs, perhaps one of the moderators of the Miscellany may suggest an appropriate place to post when said article is complete.

With much appreciation,

Noah Meernaum

Comment

I have met Moebius on one or two occasions and we have a perfectly amicable relationship. Same goes for self and P.Druillet. I never, as stated, objected to Moebius's use of the character and I was aware of Phillipe's Elric from the beginning. We borrowed back and forth, just as we did with Jerry Cornelius. I like to be asked, is all and sent a copy. That way if there's somnething I can steal back I will.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
            The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
            Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
            The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
            Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Reply specifically to Mr. Moorcock on this matter

Mr. Moorcock,

Thanks for taking the time to personally return to this recurrent issue. I hope that through the revised review that is being compiled there will be some certain atonement for my own unjustified contribution adding to the misappropriate charges concerning this ongoing comic misunderstanding. I know you have stated you do not read submissions, however the intent with this updated study is for online publication here and in The Steampunk Empire with the placement on this official site only of course with your advanced permission. If it is a possibility for you to read it for online representation here please let me know where and when to send a draft for consideration.

In particular I would like to be able to include certain quotes from you re-addressing your personal communication with Jean Giraud/Moebius regarding this exchange such as the most current posted. As there has been a long misunderstanding of the comic adoption involving the shared use of Jerry Cornelius that was formerly unjustly spread by myself it is a point of personal interest that this review be conducted evenhandedly and when possible supported with evident records from the principal parties rather than completely reliant on second hand sources.

While there are also posted records wherein parts of my critical opinions of your fictions find some of the relations heavily repetitive to the point of being blunted in rereading them as an adult, there are many of your 'multiverse' tales and other singular stories such as Mother London that continue to provide penetrating insight and gleaming pleasure through return readings. This does not hopefully transmit as an attempt at currently sucking up, as it is more of a conscious wish to be directly aboveboard as to my past evaluations of your writings, especially if only taken out of one or two related lines of comment. I especially have an appreciation for your novelistic remarks of learning to adapt from following false information endlessly no matter how farcical its faulty direction.

Still in my own aspect of adaptive study,

Noah Meeranum
              Last edited by meernaum; 07-08-2011, 09:46 AM.

Comment

If anyone's interested - or has never seen Moebius' version of Jerry - I've uploaded a couple of episodes to the Image Hive.

Heavy Metal, v2 n9, January 1979

Heavy Metal, v2 n12, April 1979

These are from the latter half of The Airtight Garage's run in Heavy Metal; I've no idea if they make any more sense if you read them in context.
                _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I believe I still have these issues in storage. Ah, memories.
                  Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Another one!

I have not read 'The Airtight ( uptight? ) Garage' yet!...oh well...
                    Mwana wa simba ni simba

The child of a lion is also a lion - Swahili Wisdom

Comment

les Humanoïdes Associés are publishing a new edition of Le Garage Hermétique (so in French) on 24 August 2011:

http://www.amazon.fr/garage-herm%C3%...dp/2731623780/

ISBN-13: 978-2731623789
                      24,95€

I've been doing some tracking down of the original version of 'Le Garage Hermétique de Jerry Cornelius' and it's quite interesting. For one thing Jerry (or 'Lewis Carnelian' as he's renamed in the revised version) is hardly in it. For another, the first (photographic) appearance of Jerry/Lewis looks like this:

(NB: The larger colour version comes from the US Epic edition of The Airtight Garage (hence the 'Lewis Carnelian'); the smaller B&W version is the original French Metal Hurlant version with the 'JC' moniker.)

Apparently based (facially) on Patti Smith, that looks like a Jerry I recognise, but when he actually turns up in the flesh (approx. around chapter 29) he looks like:

And he flies! Pshaw!

Anyway, I assume the new edition coming out later this month will be the 'Lewis Carnelian' version rather than the original Jerry, but at least it's something I guess.

Comment

The Airtight Garage Movie/Kurosawa 1993

I picked up some old comics stuff yesterday including issue 159 of The Comics Journal in which there was a story that Kurosawa was planning to take over the production of an animated film of Moebius's legendary comic series from some defunct Russian producers.

The strip, of course, featured Jerry Cornelius; though he was renamed in later editions after the initial run in Heavy Metal magazine.

That's one comic adaptation I'd like to see (and suppose I never will given the current tastes of producers).

Mark
                        I used to reach for the stars but now I'm reformed.

Comment

That would be cool to see. I never understood why they renamed the character in later reprints. JC was one of pop cultures first "open source" characters. And I always thought "Airtight" was a bit of a mistranslation. I think "Hermetic Garage" would have been more evocative.

Comment

Originally posted by meernaum View Post
                            To the person behind the cosmic balance
                            It's people actually.
                            Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

A following return, after a extended absence.

To the devoted people contributing and supporting the Cosmic Balance herein; with particular awareness of the site administrator David Mosley's caring input,

Though it has been overlong in the composing, the promised review concerning Moebius's initial adopted incarnation of Jerry Cornelius and subsequent substitute name change, in order to reconsider the past positions often falsley contentiously related around this comic charge is finally being finished. As previously stated, there is a hope that this re-evaluation could be posted at a pertinent place herein, as well as a blog elsewhere.

The returning requests to Mr. Mosley of his administrative acumen, is would this re-evaluation be welcomed for consideration hereafter in these environs? If so, as it is a considerable parted review, where might be the best area to place the account, should others care to read it? The aforesaid outsourced blog, could pending your permissive allowance, be given a corresponding link as well.

In resumptive relay-though protractedly delayed-allow me to restate my returned appreciation for all the informative passages and quotes previously exchanged in this thread; either issued directly from Mr. Moorcock or otherwise relevantly re-directed in the ensuing discussion hereby.

Respectfully,

Noah Meernaum

Comment

Working...
                              X