Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Jerry Cornelius story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerry Cornelius story

Hi,

Sorry because I know that this is a question of which variants have been asked before, but I'd prefer to check than assume.

Some time ago I wrote a Jerry Cornelius story. It's currently listed as an example of my short fiction on my website. I'd like to check that this is okay from a copyright point of view. I'm not really planning on having it properly published or expecting to ever get any money from it.

http://edbemand.co.uk/?page_id=55

Thanks.

Hi Ed - I'm a relative newcomer here myself so I don't feel totally qualified to welcome you to the boards, but if you go and drop a line in the Arrival at the Time Centre thread, I'm sure you'll get a hearty welcome!

Comment

You are more than qualified in my book Tom!!

Good stuff Ed!

Welcome aboard.

Have fun,feed yer head and enjoy!!
      "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Hi Ed, as you probably know, from a copyright - or rather trade mark - perspective, Jerry Cornelius (and associated characters) is the Intellectual Property (IP) of Michael Moorcock. The thing to remember is Jerry's not an open source or public domain character, although Mike has permitted other writers, such as Brian Aldiss, Jim Sallis, M. John Harrison, Norman Spinrad, Alan Moore, Tony Luke and Carter Kaplan, to feature Jerry in their own fiction. And, of course, lots of Mike's readers (myself amongst them) have tried their hand at writing Jerry fiction, which is nowadays called 'fan fiction' (or 'fanfic'). Mike is usually very generous in allowing his readers to 'borrow' his IP when they ask his permission; likewise he's very critical when people have appropriated his IP without asking permission - Grant Morrison and Games Workshop spring to mind as stand-out examples - particularly when they're profiting by it.

As far as your own JC story is concerned, while you already acknowledge Mike at the top, a disclaimer along the lines of "Jerry Cornelius and associated characters featured in this story are the property and trademarks of Michael Moorcock and used without permission.* No attempt to infringe Mr Moorcock's IP rights is intended." would seem judicious imo.

Note: This is just a layman's opinion. I'm not a copyright lawyer nor a representative for Mike; just offering some (hopefully) helpful advice.

*As and until Mike gives you his permission, then you can presumably amend this to "used with permission".
        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Hi Ed,
          Just to endorse what Daid's said. Of course I hae no problem with fan fiction but should you sell the story to a regular publisher, that's when I'd ask you to get in touch and let me see the story. whereupon I'd let you know what form of words you'd need to add!

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
          The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
          Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
          The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
          Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Thanks for that. Like I said, I can't imagine that it's a story I'll ever try and make anything from. It was just a fun and challenging style to write a piece in. I don't tend to think of my short fiction as being for money, I just do it for the hell of it and share it freely. If it leads to me making any money from the longer stuff then that's a bonus.

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
            X