Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Dude - Where did Ilian come from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dude - Where did Ilian come from?

When I was a teenage girl I was enthralled by a rendering of Ilian of Garathorm by Rodney Matthews. I thought she embodied the perfect beautiful woman. I never knew where the picture came from - it only had a small note on the bottom with her name.

I read Elric's Saga a few years later and was drawn into the laws of chaos and order.....but had no idea that there were other stories. It was an awesome story.....fabulously told and flawlessly written.

I was describing the picture the other day to a friend - and went on line to try to find it - and found that she is your creation - and not only that but another manifestation of the 'eternal champion'.....something I've always personally called myself to those close to me.....I was a bit blown away in a cosmic sort of way.

I know from the little I've read so far (yes, the books are on the way) that Ilian is a woman's body taken over by the soul of a man.....but I want to know what you were thinking when you wrote her. She has always been a model of a true woman to me.

Sorry if I'm interjecting in the midst of a really great conversation - but I just have to know.

quick smart aleck responce... Garathorm!

Enjoy the books!!!!

oh yeah! Welcome to Multiverse.org
    Last edited by Vazkar Asquinol; 06-25-2008, 08:43 PM.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." -Robert A. Heinlein

"If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I will help you become that." -Johann Wolfgang Goethe

"Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind." -Thomas Jefferson

Comment

To elaborate on Vazkar's smart arse response (which I am very upset by, mostly coz he got in before I could). Book is "The Champion of Garathorm" in the second "Hawkmoon" (I believe normaly colected in "Count Brass").

Comment

CarlyR -- Ilian is based on an old lady friend of mine. Glad she came across as real. But Rodney's model, of course, wouldn't be mine!

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
        The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
        Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
        The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
        Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

I love the Ilian of Garathorn story even though the begining is a little odd.
          Please Check out my Musical Dedication to work of Michael Moorcock

THE END OF ALL SONGS
          We are looking to collaborate with anybody else interested in making Moorcock themed music - contact me here or on soundcloud.

Comment

Working...
          X