Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Burning D'Averc Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duke_of_Kuln
    replied
    Touchأ©!

If the dullness of your life was inversely proportional to the excitement of your novels, circa 1967 to 1969 must have been ordinary indeed!

I suppose that you shall stop writing when your life becomes exciting?!

Markus / Duke of Kuln

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    I wasn't much of a terror, pard. I was too busy writing, after all. Writers who actually write lead the dullest lives in the world.... :)

Leave a comment:

• Duke_of_Kuln
    replied
    MM:

Excellent! :D

One of my favourite characters (in literature) is based on my favourite author!

Can one thus conclude that; since D'Averc is like you, and since you say D'Averc and Elric are similar, that Elric is none other than Michael Moorcock in Albino (sheep's) clothing?

You must have been a terror at the time you wrote the Runestaff series! :P

Perhaps D'Averc was the true Champion :twisted: of the Runestaff series? His initial end was tragic enough.

Someone must tell poor Hawkmoon.

Markus / Duke of Kuln

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    D'Averc was probably based mostly on myself! Maybe that's why he's my favourite character in the series. :) I felt the series needed some wit and a touch of the dandyism you get in the Elric and Cornelius books and, of course, I was a bit of a dandy in those days! A touch of the old Scarlet Pimpernel character, too, come to think of it. Something which attracted Margery Allingham and made her come up with her deceptively lazy character Campion (of Tiger in the Smoke and many others). A campion being a pimpernel, after all. That kind of character (Zenith the Albino by Anthony Skene, also mentioned elsewhere) has always attracted me. Very much a male avatar for female writers, when you think about it. Wonder what that means ?

Leave a comment:

• Krieghetzer
    replied
    I think his sickness is just a way for him to get his opponests to think he is weaker than he really is. Maybe thats why I like him so much. He seems a grand stategist, quick witted.

Leave a comment:

• Duke_of_Kuln
    replied
    MM:

D'Averc also ranks as my favourite character from the Hawkmoon series.
    I liked his disarming "illnesses", adaptability and loyalty. I can't imagine someone not being saddened by his passing, when lasting bliss was only steps away. I'm not sure if any other character has deserved his (ultimately) happy ending more.

There are certainly many fantastic untold tales within the Hawkmoon/D'Averc group.

I suppose that is why it has become such a favourite among our roleplaying group.

Even with my imperfect portrayal, female characters can't resist the charm of D'Averc.

Was D'Averc inspired by aspects of anyone in particular?

Thank you for taking the time to write, it's quite a thrill for a fan of your works!

Duke_Of_Kuln

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    D'Averc's my own favourite character from that series.
    Maybe because he's most like Elric ? :)

Leave a comment:

• Tales from Tanelorn
    replied
    Poor Corum, after saving her people he was brutally murdered by his love. Et tu brute...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    As my name indicates, I am a big fan of the D'Averc character. When Hawkmoon first encounters D'Averc, he describes him as tall and slender with a gaunt face. This has always led me to believe that he is thinner than Hawkmoon. Not thin by any means, just leaner, more wiry.

As a side note, I would be interested to know what other people think of the character. To me, he is a character with a lot of depth, even though he doesn't initially come off that way. He acts cynical, but has more hope in a dangerous situation than anyone could reasonably have, obviously can love quite strongly and is a very loyal friend (after a time). I have friends that after reading the books dislike the character, thinking he is selfish and too cynical. (I obviously think they are crazy). I also think, after Corum, he has the worst death EVER. When I read the part about his death steps before Flana I could have cried. Even the part of Count Brass where he is returned did not nullify that death scene for me.

So, where do you rate D'Averc in a poll of Eternal Champion Companions?

Leave a comment:

• Krieghetzer
    replied
    I always thought that D'Averc would be a the same hight only not as well built. D'Averc has that "fake" cough which leads me to think he may be a little feeble in appearance.

Leave a comment:

• Duke_of_Kuln
    started a topic Burning D'Averc Question

Burning D'Averc Question

(Note, this topic is not about "Burning" D'Averc, and how many minutes per pound it would require)javascript:emoticon(':twisted:')

I have been an MM/EC fan for several years as well as an avid roleplayer.
    Recently, my wife has been bitten by the D'Averc Bug, as I have attempted to interweave our latest roleplaying campaign with characters borrowed from the Hawkmoon Saga.

(It is not concerned with the events of Gran Bretan, the characters have been transplanted into Ravenloft shortly after their first meeting. Count Brass and Co. happened to arrive in Kuln on a diplomatic visit, when D'Averc and a troupe of Boars arrived with similar purposes unexpectedly.... I won't bore with the other details).

Brass, D'Averc, Bowgentle and Yisselda are supporting cast for the live roleplayers.

My wife, for the first time ever, chose to play a male character. And, being my "favourite" Player, was cast in the boots of Dorian Hawkmoon. She is enjoying the character immensely (never having known the pain of the Black Jewel) and subsequently has read all of the Hawkmoon / Count Brass books.

D'Averc has quickly become the favourite NPC (non-player character) and has developed a close friendship/fun rivalry with Hawkmoon.

However, after the reading the books, it really irritates my wife (Hawkmoon) that the D'Averc of our campaign seems to be physically larger/more muscular than Hawkmoon (though, of course, Count Brass dwarfs either).

After reading the books, she felt that D'Averc was slighter (if perhaps taller) than Hawkmoon. My feeling is, that D'averc is certainly not a bulky, body builder type, yet I can't see him being "skinny" compared to Hawkmoon. I picture the two of them to be fairly close in height and build, with D'Averc simply being a bit more toned, perhaps broader of shoulder and chest. If anything his "terrible health" makes him present himself as physically unimposing.

What do you think?
    And perhaps we could trouble Mr. Moorcock for his word is obviously final in this matter!

Duke_of_Kuln :twisted:
Working...
X