Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Greetings Mike,I have a Hawkmoon question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • REDKOMET
    Moonbeam Traveller
    • Jun 2005

Greetings Mike,I have a Hawkmoon question.

Hello all!
    I am a new poster here,but I read these forums quite regularly.
    First,I would like to thank Mike for the years and years of great reading material.My friend,you are the best.
    I just finished fiendishly reading WWS,and it left me with a couple of questions.Is the WWS version of Hawkmoon from an alternate timeline?
    In his conversation with The Warrior,the Warrior mentions the other worlds where time developed differently,and where the D.E. had not conquered everything.In the original Hawkmoon series,he used the crystal to teleport Castle Brass out of his Earth.Did this not happen in the WWS timeline?
    The second thing I was a little baffled by is Hawkmoon's wife,Yisselda.In WWS,she is called Isolda,and she has been captured by Meladius and taken back to Londra.What happened to good old Yisselda?Was this just an editing error,or did the present variation of poor Hawkmoon really loose that badly?
    I take it that the Count Brass series timeline has been kinda banished in lieu of the new,better fitting one of WWS.
    As a whole,I really enjoyed WWS,and like how the whole affair was handled.Once again,Mike is truly an ace.
    Thanks for the trip back to the world of the Dark Empire.I had forgotten how dramatic a setting it creates as the antagonistic aggressor.
    Many thanks,
    -KOMET
  • Michael Moorcock
    Site Host
    • Dec 2003

All the timelines co-exist, so one doesn't cancel another. All the stories go on to their own different resolutions. Isolda is a variant of the same name as Yisselda, so it is the same person, but with slightly different details!
    Thanks for your comments. I really enjoyed revisiting (or riffing off) Hawkmoon's world. I was almost tempted to write another whole Hawkmoon book! Maybe a comic next time.
    :)

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

• Michael Moorcock
      Site Host
      • Dec 2003

Sorry, I forgot to say -- you're right. Because he didn't use the crystal to get out of danger in the original series, what you're reading in WWS is the consequence of that.

The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
      Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
      Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

• REDKOMET
        Moonbeam Traveller
        • Jun 2005

Thank you for the clarification Mike.
        When I origionally read through the EC segments,I was always a big fan of both Hawkmoon and Corum.These two just seemed like anyman thrown into situations well beyond their control.This is what drew me to Erekose as well.
        I have been trying to shear up my collection recently,and MAN is it hard to locate any of your work outside of Glorianna and the latest Elric series.
        Are we ever going to see the return to print of these great books?
        I also noticed a great lack of ANY of the old greats.No Burroughs.No R.E. Howard.What are we going to cut our children's teeth to fantasy on?
        I just started my eldest daughter on The Eternal Champion,we will see where that will go.
        Thanks again Mike,a response directly from the man himself is like a baseball fan meeting Mickey Mantel.
        -KOMET

Comment

• Macthorpe
          Wanderer of the Mittel March
          • Dec 2003

Ebay is always a good place to look for common and rare MM stuff. Most of my collection comes from there or second-hand book shops.
          \"Mercy? I don\'t deserve it.\"
          Karl Glogaur - Behold the Man
          Michael Moocock

Comment

• Michael Moorcock
            Site Host
            • Dec 2003

The reason there's nothing available in the US, to speak of, is because my agent believes it's a good idea to hold them back for a while. If it was a question of just keeping them in print, we could have stayed with White Wolf, but unfortunately we had to make a decision about that and decided not to stay. The main books are all still in print in the UK as well as in foreign editions around the world. If they're not in print they're in the process of reprinting. I think there are also plans to redo all the main Howard titles, too. I'd guess that might also happen with ERB. These things tend to go in cycles. When I started reading fantasy there were hardly any fantasy books in regular shops. At best they were in small, expensive editions. Believe me, things are a lot better now. The Fantasy Masterworks series, for instance, remains a superb series for fantasy readers and is worth checking out on Amazon UK.

Comment

• David Mosley
              Eternal Administrator
              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Macthorpe
              Ebay is always a good place to look for common and rare MM stuff. Most of my collection comes from there or second-hand book shops.
              ABEbooks is also a useful (and cheap) source for copies of Mike's books.

And I think if you use the link here this site earns a small commision.
              _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
              _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
              _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
              _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Anonymous

Originally posted by REDKOMET
                When I origionally read through the EC segments,I was always a big fan of both Hawkmoon and Corum.These two just seemed like anyman thrown into situations well beyond their control.This is what drew me to Erekose as well.
                I haven't read Corum, but both Hawkmoon and Erekose are reluctant heroes. They remind me of each other. They merely wish to return to the arms of their distant lovers. They have little interest in their roles as EC.

I am slowly building my MM library through Ebay and Amazon, including anything Elric I can get my hands on.

Comment

• FlyingElvis
                  Wanderer of the Mittel March
                  • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Anonymous
                  Originally posted by REDKOMET
                  I haven't read Corum, but both Hawkmoon and Erekose are reluctant heroes. They remind me of each other. They merely wish to return to the arms of their distant lovers. They have little interest in their roles as EC.

I am slowly building my MM library through Ebay and Amazon, including anything Elric I can get my hands on.
                  Bah. I never think to login before posting.

Comment

• REDKOMET
                    Moonbeam Traveller
                    • Jun 2005

LOL!
                    I do that frequently on some message boards.
                    Speaking of EBay,I just recently was lucky enough to net a omnibus copy of "Kane of old Mars."
                    Did a little tapdance after that one.......
                    Thanks for all the pointers guys,I am just at the point in my collection that,like collecting cards minis etc,there are always a few that are just a bear to lock down.
                    Luckily,I had the foresight in my youth to save everything I had,so it makes things easier to complete things now.
                    My kids will be lucky someday,if my wife doesn't get to them first... :D
                    -KOMET

Comment

• REDKOMET
                      Moonbeam Traveller
                      • Jun 2005

Knew I forgot something.....
                      Thanks for the info on ERB and Howard Mike.
                      I'll be keeping an eye open for any reprintings of that stuff.
                      Are the folks at DC ever going to publish the rest of the "Making of a Sorceror" series??

Comment

• Michael Moorcock
                        Site Host
                        • Dec 2003

Yes. Walter's delivered Number 3 and is now working on Number 4.
                        Delays had to do with Walter's problems, which are now mainly behind him.

Comment

• GuyLawley
                          Champion of the Balance
                          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                          I really enjoyed revisiting (or riffing off) Hawkmoon's world. I was almost tempted to write another whole Hawkmoon book! Maybe a comic next time.
                          :)
                          Do hold on to that thought, Michael!
                          :) :)

Comment

• Michael Moorcock
                            Site Host
                            • Dec 2003

As I'm sure you know, Guy, pure fantasy doesn't do all that well in comic form, though I've been well served in my time. If I could find the write partner and a keen publisher, I'd love to let rip with Hawkmoon at full force. I still love those Mignola Corums and would like to go, I think, in that direction.

Comment

• axel_mickyfinn
                              Moonbeam Traveller
                              • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                              The reason there's nothing available in the US, to speak of, is because my agent believes it's a good idea to hold them back for a while. If it was a question of just keeping them in print, we could have stayed with White Wolf, but unfortunately we had to make a decision about that and decided not to stay. The main books are all still in print in the UK as well as in foreign editions around the world. If they're not in print they're in the process of reprinting. I think there are also plans to redo all the main Howard titles, too. I'd guess that might also happen with ERB. These things tend to go in cycles. When I started reading fantasy there were hardly any fantasy books in regular shops. At best they were in small, expensive editions. Believe me, things are a lot better now. The Fantasy Masterworks series, for instance, remains a superb series for fantasy readers and is worth checking out on Amazon UK.
                              When I was in the US a few months ago I had fun searching out US editions of your books in various second-hand bookshops, although found little other than variants on the earlier Eternal Champion books. And in the process found many other (non-fantasy) books of interest.

Certainly the Fantasy Masterworks series is interesting, not only for your books (most of which I have already, but then I cannot resist acquiring books, but am intrigued that Gloriana has been changed... it is on my reading list) but also introducing me to authors along the shelf in the same series... luckily Andromeda in Birmingham keeps a separate bookcase for the Fantasy and also the SF Masterworks.

Axel

Comment

Working...
                              X