Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Huillam D'averc artwork?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huillam D'averc artwork?

Hi,can anyone out there please help me!,After reading MM's books my son was born,and to cut to the chase,I chose "Huillam" to be his name.He's aware of his namesake and longs to see him "in the flesh"so to speak,so does anyone know if theres any art work out there of Huillam D'averc ?any help would really mean one of many worlds to "Huill" and myself!many thanks.

D'Averc appears on the cover of the comic book adaptation of Sword of the Dawn, no.3. I've added a bigger scan of part of the cover to the album here:

[link expired]

The interior artwork of these comics is frankly pretty awful, but I have montaged some pictures of D'Averc from the comics here:

[link expired]

You can click on the thumbnail to see a larger image, then click on that one for the full-size image, as you may already know.

In the earlier pics he is seen wearing hs Dark Empire armour and boar mask.

Comment

That comic version of D'Averc is interesting 'cos I've always imagined him as looking more 'French', which basically translates has having a mustache. The closest I can come to finding a picture of what I mean is this one of the character Gus from the Marvel UK 5th Doctor comic strips from the 1980s.

Art by Steve Dillon.

Funny how we make our own mental images of those we read of in books, isn't it?
      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Pardon me for effusing, Guy, but... What a wonderful gesture!
        I think you have embodied the spirit of this site in that one action. Generous, welcoming, accepting...

Thanks from me - and I don't have a son called Huillam. (Though, now I come to think of it, one of the buggers should have been called Jeremiah!)

Seriously - :notworthy:
        You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Demos, doesn't that illustration remind you of the actor David Lodge?

He appeared, among other things, in Spike Milligan's Q- series where he was wont to mention 'I was in Cockleshell Heroes, y'know.'

(Best picture I could find of him, if anyone can find a better one then please do. As soon as I saw that jawline I recognised him!)
          You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Demos, I agree; I'd seen D'Averc as quite the Eroll Flynn type! With just a touch of Leslie Phillips! (Or was that the other way round?). I don't know where First comics got the idea he had white hair. Is that canonical?

They portrayed red-haired/furred Oladahn as white-haired too. Must have been thinking of that other fella, Eric or Ulric or whatever his name is...

Thanks for the kind words, Guv'nor. Scanning pics can be fun (up to a point). And I had to get my Bible Story stuff done. (See the Bible Story thread. Very rarely seen images, doncha know.) So D'Averc was just warming up the scanner.

Comment

I've seen the Bible Story scans, Guy, more great stuff.
              I'm sure I would never have seen or even been aware of this stuff if it wasn't for this site. What a fantastic archive is displayed in the Image Gallery, but what a fantastic career it illustrates. I'm sure there are very few which can compare, either way.

Comment

Hear hear.

Berry and PWV and all who have helped to set up this site, and all those who have contributed, have created something quite brilliant!

Comment

Guillaume of course, is the French version of William. Huillam the Conqueror ? :)
                  Didn't know you'd put up some Bible Story scans, Guy. I must check 'em out. As most people know, I don't have any of this stuff myself, so it's fun to see stuff I did all those years ago. Thanks.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                  The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                  Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                  The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                  Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Ely Cathedral. Sounds good. Don't think I've ever been there... :)
                    I used to write all that stuff firmly convinced I was protected by anonymity! Seems positively treacherous to put my name on the piece... :)

The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Many thanks to all of you that aided us in our quest to find images of "Huillam D'averc",the "boy Huillam" has finally got a reference other than a page number!a cool bunch of folks and equally cool web site,one I think I'll visit often! Once again thanks guy's...To you mike- "Huillam" is gonna be so pleased to have got a response from you!,As for fantasy and rock n roll,I'd agree,but in a cloudy sky only the brightest stars shine through,and when your looking for something special it can only be a good thing! :lol: thanks again folks!..lee(cossie451)

Comment

pictures of me !!

hi,thank you to everybody for finding pictures of me huillam,they are brilliant,i'm only 8,but i will read my dads books when i'm a bit older.thanks for answering mr moorcock.from Huillam. :D :P

Comment

You're welcome, Huillam. There are also, of course, the Cawthorn comics, I don't think we've mentioned. Cawthorn's version was much closer to my conception of D'Averc than any of the others.

Comment

Originally posted by Governor of Rowe Island
                            What a wonderful gesture!
                            I think you have embodied the spirit of this site in that one action. Generous, welcoming, accepting...
                            Well put, Guv. Indeed, 'tis a kind and noteworthy thing Guy has done. Way to go, Guy, and thanks for all your work on the Image Gallery. :up:
                            "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
                            --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                              You're welcome, Huillam. There are also, of course, the Cawthorn comics, I don't think we've mentioned. Cawthorn's version was much closer to my conception of D'Averc than any of the others.
                              Aha! I'd forgotten about the Cawthorn books as they are very big and don't fit on the shelves with the other books and comics.

I shall have to find them now Mr M has reminded me about them!

Comment

Working...
                              X