Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Dumb question about the Count Brass series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb question about the Count Brass series

I'm reading the three Mayflower Count Brass books.

The 1st is Count Brass, The 1st chronicles of Count Brass.

The 2nd is The Champion of Garathorm, The 2nd volume of the chronicles of Castle Brass.

The 3rd, The Quest for Tanelorn. The 3rd and final volume of the chronicles of Castle Brass.

Is the "chronicles of Count Brass" of the 1st book a typo?
    Should it be the chronicles of Castle Brass?

Charlie

Heh heh!

We've been here before, amigo!

It's something that has always amused me.

Yes, there were Mayflower printings of both Count Brass and The Quest For Tanelorn which had the typo “The Chronicles of Count Brass� where they should have read “Castle Brass.� There are also printings where they got it right. (The true collector must of course own both! :) )

Mayflower/Granada also published a boxed set with the wrong wording on the box itself, later replaced by a version where it is correct.

I’ve never seen a copy of Champion Of Garathorm with this typo. This is odd since Tanelorn was published after Garathorm. It means someone in the production dept (possibly someone with a sense of humour!) went back to the wrong wording after Mayflower had published a correctly worded Garathorm.

I've added a new album of the corrrectly titled boxed set here:

[broken link]

and a new cover scan of the wrongly sub-titled Mayflower Count Brass here:

[broken link]

along with new scans of Walter Simonson's lovely cover for the White Wolf hardback compendium of the chronicles, titled simply Count Brass
    Last edited by Rothgo; 04-12-2010, 05:14 AM.

Comment

Thank you. So, it should the the cronicles of castle brass.

This is the the book I have:
      [broken link]

The other two, Garathorm and Tanelorn say "castle brass".

Charlie
      Last edited by Rothgo; 04-12-2010, 05:15 AM.

Comment

Opps, forgot to login. ;-)

Comment

Confusion of that kind is more to do with tired publishing staff not noticing what they're up to. Some blurbs for instance show that whoever wrote them took them from early outlines of mine which changed in the writing. I wasn't involved with most of those editions and only around 1980 did I start approving covers and cover copy when they stopped using Bob Haberfield and for a while got lazy. My policy was to agree the artist and then give them a free hand. At some point Granada stopped submitting artists. By Revenge of the Rose I'd become impatient with bad generic covers and insisted on Gould. I also began to check cover copy.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
          The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
          Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
          The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
          Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Speaking of Count Brass / Chroicles of Castle Brass, I recently bought a cheap copy of the hardback collection (White Wolf US edition, Eternal Champ vol.15) off a UK dealer. Only آ£1.99 plus postage.

It was as new, still wrapped, and it has a great Walter Simonson cover and interior art.

Copies still available from same dealer:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...192782894&rd=1

Recommended for UK buyers, maybe Europe? (postage to US / world doubtless makes it not such a good prospect)

Comment

I've been watching the auction that Guy linked to. Then I just found the seller had a copy to buy at آ£1.99. Should have checked a few days ago. I got it anyway with the Buy It Now, so thanks for the tip. The other buyer (anyone here?) got his for آ£2.19, so he did well too. I'd have thought there would be more demand for these books at auction. Strange. :?
              'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Luckily, I have all of the White Wolf editions. My only regret is that my Von Bek and Nomad are the trade versions. One day I need to ebay them, but I usually end up biying comics instead. Argh.

I can't afford to be a collector, to buy every edition, etc. In fact, when I bought the WW editions, I gave away my mass markets to the local used book store. This was before Ebay, or my knowledge of it.

And one day I hope to find (probably on a British bookstore), a nice all in one Glougauer edition. I only have Breakfast in the Ruins in mass market, and the one copy I found of Behold the Man at a used store had food stains on the pages. I read it and trash it. I missed out on the Mojo Press edition, and can't afford the Ebay price.

Luckily, I can afford my employee discount for the new White Wolf's Son. I'll just have to tighten the belt a little, literally, of course.

I was in a Hawkmoon fugue last year and re-read both volumes.

Jeff

Comment

It's probably worth getting those WW editions while you can. Technically, WW sold out all their editions and didn't reprint, so there wasn't any remaindering done. It's a mystery where these odd copies come from (maybe shops that have gone out of business) but they are getting a lot scarcer.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                  The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                  Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                  The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                  Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

There's a copy of Earl Aubec still going for آ£2, if anyone's interested. http://www.marketworks.com/StoreFron...i=y&i=18915813
                    \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

For anyone interested I thought I'd resurrect this thread to say that Archeron Games, the seller mentioned previously is still selling the White Wolf editions. So far I've bought from them:

Sailing To Utopia (paperback)
                      Kane Of Old Mars (hardback)
                      The Dancers At The End Of Time (paperback)
                      Earl Aubec (hardback)
                      Count Brass (hardback)

Most of the titles turn up in the seller's shop for around آ£2-3, with postage آ£2.50-3.00 per book. A great bargain. If you search the shop, you should search under 'Moorcock' or 'Moorcocks', since some titles are listed under one or the other term.
                      'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Working...
                      X