Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

I'm just starting the Runestaff series and have a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think most of these references have been covered in the FAQ but you might be interested to know that the Dark Empire figures quite a lot in the forthcoming Elric/von Bek The White Wolf's Son. Here we learn a little more of their origins and history. For instance, one character speculates that the masked Orders of Granbretan are based on football 'tribes' -- the Wolves, for instance. I couldn'[t get any references into the Hammers, the Gunners or ManU, but you might enjoy some of the other ideas.
    Oh, Bastable's in there, too.
    And it all ties up pretty neatly, I think. But I might have a different view of the book in a couple of days, after the euphoria is over. I'm still working on the first polish.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

On a recent re-reading it ocurred to me that "The Black Corridor" seemed to be describing (in the pieces set on earth) a society that would eventually lead to the one portrayed in the Hawkmoon stories, while still being recognisably one which has developed from ours. Would anyone agree with this observation?
      You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Actually I got New Orlands and America... the Dark Gods were the hard ones... because there are so many historical figures to chose from....
        Where in the faq would I find that infromatiion?

Comment

Originally posted by Kitsune
          Where in the faq would I find that infromatiion?
          i would also like to know :)

Comment

[quote="Michael Moorcock"]For instance, one character speculates that the masked Orders of Granbretan are based on football 'tribes' -- the Wolves, for instance. I couldn'[t get any references into the Hammers, the Gunners or ManU, but you might enjoy some of the other ideas.
            quote]

I seem to recall the Order of the Pig are the gaolers....not very subtle, Mr M.

(For our foreign readers, "pigs" is a common derogaroty term for police officer.)

Jeremiah

Comment

Working...
            X