Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Elric & Albinism.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elric & Albinism.

Just wanted to start a discussion on Elric's albinism.
    Is it true that albinos really don't have red eyes?
    With the 'seemingly' upcoming Elric movie, i do hope people afflicted with this dissorder don't take it the wrong way or fuel other peoples missconceptions about them.

I think the movie's like 'Powder' got that kinda rap.

Does anyone else in here know a person who is afflicted with 'Type 1' albinism.

Has Mike got any bad rap from people with albinism concerning Elric in any way?

http://www.lunaeterna.net/popcult/index.htm
    http://www.rickguidotti.com/life1ful.htm

Excellent question, Theocrat. Here's my two cents...

Elric isn't human. He's Melnibonأ©an and as such, it would actually be he who was offended by the comparison. :lol:

Besides, he's the White Wolf and although I can't find any actual documented cases of albinism in wolves, it seems a book by Barry Holstun Lopez entitled Of Wolves And Men "reported one anecdotal instance of a white wolf with pink eyes shot by an aerial hunter in Alaska in 1957."

http://www.kerwoodwolf.com/BIOLOGY.htm
    "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
    --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

I haven't had any complaints from albinos. Rather, I've had generally a good response. After all, Elric is a hero (if somewhat flawed). Maybe the most famous albinos in music are the Winter brothers. They haven't complained. Some albinos, as I understand it, have red/pink eyes (white mice, for instance) and some don't. I derived most of my ideas about albinism from fiction and hearsay, I must admit, when I was a teenager and first conceiving Elric.. I certainly wouldn't want to offend anyone and am always willing to be put straight about misconceptions, yet in all my career I've had no actual complains, except from one or two non-albinos who say I associate albinism with anaemia (Elric's lassitude and so on). In which case I suppose I really ought to retitle him Elric the
      Anaemic. I guess you can be both an albino and anaemic. The important thing is not to characterise albinos (which I don't) as all being like Elric!

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
      The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
      Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
      The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
      Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

When I was at college there was an albino music student, who also had a an albino sister. Generally he wore sunglasses most of the time, so either his eyes were quite sensitive to the light, or he was just much cooler than the rest of his band. If I remember correctly, his eyes were pink rather than red. His hair wasn't white as such, but a sort of very pale yellow... and apparently the hair didn't retain dye very well, so that's pretty much the colour it stayed.

Having seen him and his sister around town a couple of times, I can't say I find albinism especially "exotic" as such... there isn't any sort of mystical allure going on.

Strange to think that growing up in this crappy little town I actually saw albinos as often as I saw anyone with Afro-Caribbean features!

D...
        "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

I work in scientific research. (Please don't stone me!)
          I work with albino rats, and albino rabbits.
          They have red eyes. I call the bunnies, "Elric bunnies!" 8O
          \"Bush\'s army of barmy bigots is the worst thing that\'s happened to the US in some years...\"
          Michael Moorcock - 3am Magazine Interview

Comment

Do these bunnies stare at you sardonically? :lol:
            When they had advanced together to meet on common
            ground, then there was the clash of shields, of spears
            and the fury of men cased in bronze; bossed shields met
            each other and the din rose loud. Then there were
            mingled the groaning and the crowing of men killed and
            killing, and the ground ran with blood.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

Yes they do :!: :idea:
              \"Bush\'s army of barmy bigots is the worst thing that\'s happened to the US in some years...\"
              Michael Moorcock - 3am Magazine Interview

Comment

I saw edgar winter backstage once, (daytime)
                he wasnt just bone white, he seemed almost transparent.
                He had a black haired babe on his side not the black blade,
                but
                his presence reminded me so much of Elric
                I was careful not to anger him.....you never know.

Comment

I'm into reggae. Yellowman is an albino performer. He didn't have a happy childhood.

http://www.lunaeterna.net/popcult/yellow.htm
                  The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

I did a bit of research for my own albino character, er "character with albinism" as some of the people at http://www.albinism.org/ prefer (some of them prefer the phrase "people with albinism", but many just say "albino" because it's shorter.) Apparently, the eyes of albino animals are pink or red, but in people with albinism the eyes are actually very light blue or grey (and even light hazel or brown), but they often look red, pink or purple depending on the light. Children with albinism might actually have pink eyes, but they get a bit of blue or grey pigment once they reach adulthood.

There are different types of albinism. It is characterised by partial or nearly total lack of pigment. Type 1 Oculocutaneous albinism is a complete lack of pigment --Ivory hair, very pale eyes, no tanning or freckling of the skin. Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome is a kind of albinism in which degree of pigmentation varies and the lungs and blood are also affected--the blood won't clot normally. Colitis is sometimes of symptom of HPS and so the excessive bleeding could lead to aenemia. There are other forms of albinism as well.

About 16 years ago, when I went to college the first time around, there was a man I met who had albinism. His eyes mostly looked light blue, but flourescent lighting often reflected off his retinas and made his eyes look red or purplish. Albinos have very little pigment in the eyes, so light often shines right through the iris. It's just like when your eyes look red in a photograph-- the flash reflects off the retina in the eye-- except their eyes look like that in regular light, not just from a flash.

Most albinos have very poor eyesight because when they are babies they get too much light coming through their irises and this affects the development of the eyes. Something to do with how the brain takes in the information through the optic nerve. There's more about that on the albinism.org site.

Some of the people there have read Mr M's books. Most liked them. I haven't looked at the site in a long time, but I recall there was a discussion about Elric and someone brought up the same point as PsychicWarVeteran did-- Elric isn't human, so it doesn't matter if his albino characteristics match those of a human.
                    WWED -- What Would Elric Do?

Comment

Thanks for that. Very useful.
                      Yes, I think we have to accept that whereas most human albinos have light blue or grey eyes, Melnibonean albinoes have eyes like glaring
                      rubies!

The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                      Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                      Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                        Thanks for that. Very useful.
                        Yes, I think we have to accept that whereas most human albinos have light blue or grey eyes, Melnibonean albinoes have eyes like glaring
                        rubies!
                        Well, if a person can accept the concept of the Multiverse or the Champion Eternal, then I think the mind'll be able to accept the idea of Melnibonean albinoes having ruby eyes... Makes a much better image in the mind.

Comment

Well, I had a post all written out for this thread and then it got wiped…bah….so lets try this again . . .

When I first got into Role Playing, AD&D *2nd edition* I decided to make my elvin character stand out and I made him an Albino. I find that to be very unique visually and I wanted my character to stand out in some way that was ‘legitimate’. His hair was pure white as was his skin. I made his eyes a very light, almost translucent amethyst though. Making him like this I also did a little reading on the condition and had it where he could not tolerate the sun to much extent. His eyesight was actually pretty good though but that was because he didn’t get over exposed to it when he was a child. (His childhood was far from how it should have been . . . but I suppose some good actually came out of that mess . . . being locked away had its advantages as in his eyes didn’t get burnt out so to speak). And he also had a blood condition. Odd set of similarities considering, looking back in retrospect, what I had created was spooky in many ways to a certain albino we all know. At the time, I had never heard of any of Mr Moorcocks books or the Elric series in the slightest but my DM was very familiar with the series and brought over his copies for me to read. Needless to say all I could say was WOW. To begin with what a story . . . and then what similarities I had stumbled across (and I thought I was being original).

Anyway, reading on albinism in some various encyclopedias and stuff when I was drawing up this character, what I read said there was ‘full albinos’ and then something regarded (at that time) as ‘half albinos’. They generally had more normal pigmentation but usually had some distinguishing mark in their hair (yea that sounds odd but that’s what I read I swear). I had a class mate that could have been one of those. She was pale in complexion, light eyes but brown hair with the front naturally very light blondish/white. She never dyed it. This was years ago and Im sure theres been much more knowledge gathered on it since then. I remember reading something about the ‘half albinos’ carried the gene and that if one parent had the gene, 1 in 4 births (on average but not always the case) would be albino and I think 1 would be half and then like 2 would carry the gene. Im really not good with anything like that and its been years since I read any of this stuff. Shoot what I read was probably so wrong anyway :P I probably only read enough and remember enough to convince most I don’t know a thing about it….errr…..

I have heard that albinos do not always have red eyes but that is a common color for their eyes to be. Ive also heard that not all true albinos have white or light blonde hair either . . . I always thought it was very cool that the ‘hero’ of this saga had something like that. Even though Im not one, I never thought anyone could or would take offense to Elric being an Albino. If anything, if I was one, Id think it would be cool that such a dynamic character in the fiction world could be ‘flawed’ like that. Then again, I don’t consider stuff like that to be a ‘flaw' persay. Its part of what makes that person who thay are. I found it refreshing to have a ‘hero’ character that had problems like Elric had. It seemed more ‘real’ to suspend belief on and accept when you were reading it. Having a main character not perfect was just . . . well . . . perfect . . .
                          Ultra Magnus to Sandstorm. \"I\'ve never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. . . Alright, give me the bomb.\"

Comment

http://www.lunaeterna.net/popcult/

I'm indebted to my friend Ian for this. I checked out the site and have also written to them. They use a very nice Robert Gould picture, too!
                            They aren't aware of Zenith the Albino, it seems, who can also be checked out at the Sexton Blake site and also at the Savoy site, where other links to Zenith can be found. In no way is Zenith lethargic, except when smoking opium. He's astonishingly strong and fit, in fact.

Comment

As long as my AD&D character took the necessary precautions he was pretty fierce as someone to go against. I went to that site on albinism and glanced around and I cant see where an albino could be /that/ fit and robust all the time without at least some precautions (in regards to the other fantasy character you just spoke of). I dunno, it just takes some sort of ‘believability’ out of it if you have a character with a known liability be unhindered by it at all.

When I first did my character up my DM advised against it cause it would leave him prone for various situations if I screwed it up. I welcomed the challenge and couldnt have been happier. It made the game and this characters development better IMO. And I didnt take them away after I realized the inadvertent similarities to the Elric series. As I said before, having the main character not nigh invulnerable is one of the most appealing things about him as a fantasy character IMO.
                              Ultra Magnus to Sandstorm. \"I\'ve never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. . . Alright, give me the bomb.\"

Comment

Working...
                              X