Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

the flow of elric?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the flow of elric?

Is it me, or do the white wolf versions of Elric seem to be a little chopped up and don't flow very well. :? Anyone else feel that too?

I haven't read the WW editions yet, but the other week I did notice the absence of the Aubec story from the current Elric content - that seemed like a huge motherfucking mistake to me. Of course, it has now seen publicatin as part of the WW Aubec collection (which I do not yet have). So, seen as a whole, the WW set is a different ordering of the textual materials - maybe it needs to be read as a unit before offering opinions only here and there. Still, a 15 volume commitment might be too much of an author to ask of a would-be reader - plus there is now the difficulty of collecting all of the volumes of an out of print set.

Comment

Originally posted by krunky
      Still, a 15 volume commitment might be too much of an author to ask of a would-be reader - plus there is now the difficulty of collecting all of the volumes of an out of print set.
      15 volumes is alot easier to collect than the 100+ it would be attaining each individually + all the short stories. And thank heaven for places like Jayde design! Otherwise some of us would never be able to finish the collection :D [/quote]
      "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
      --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

Re: the flow of elric?

Originally posted by Wormwalk
        Is it me, or do the white wolf versions of Elric seem to be a little chopped up and don't flow very well. :? Anyone else feel that too?
        They are published in a linear sequence in the WW editions, but they were written in a much different order. The Dreaming City for example, was the first Elric tale, but it fits into the middle of the series because Mr. M went back and wrote prequels. Obviously his writing improved over time so some people find the earlier stories harder to read. I like all of them. The Elric series is one series I like just the way it is, warts and all...

Comment

I prefer the earlier Elric stories than the much longer ones present in the two volume collection such as 'Fortress of the Pearl' and 'Revenge of the Rose' which didn't do much for me, enjoyed 'Fortress' but again, felt too long.

Comment

People all have their preferences. Some people think the current stories are the best (or at least as good as the very first ones), others think the first stories were the best and so on. I get a very wide variety of response. However, EArl Aubec wasn't originally in the Elric collections, so I felt it reasonable to set him at the end of the sequence as I'd set the Eternal Champion at the beginning. We're still debating how to show the struggle between Chaos and Law in the movie, but I suspect the Aubec
            story functions well that respect and there might be some kind of credit sequence which will reflect that. One thing I have been anxious to do and that is keep the stories vital. I've tried to achieve this by a number of means, not least by making the stories more complex. Personally, for instance, the ONLY Elric story I've been really disappointed in was Fortress of the Pearl, yet you, krunky, think it's one of the best (and you're not alone). I felt Fortress didn't do anything to expand the Elric mythos (if I can so dignify it), whereas I felt Revenge to be a much better book, much closer in spirit to the originals.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
            The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
            Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
            The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
            Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Not me, MM - I haven't read it yet.

My favorite Elric story is probably "Stormbringer," which I think you claim is the first thing you wrote (with encouragement from one of my other fav authors - Mr. Ballard).

Strange that you should begin to write with the ending in mind. At least you know where you'll end up, eh?

Oh, one last thing - when you say that Aubec wasn't originally part of the stories do you mean as serialized in magazines? It was certainly in the old DAW editions IIRC. Either way, sweet piece if writing MM! Revealing and mythic all at once.

Comment

I don't know if I'd call it the best of the Elrics, but Fortress is one of my favourites. I love the idea of the dreamthief first off. And secondly, well, it was nice to know that Elric's blood doesn't die with him.
                "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
                --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

I think I need to go back and reread 'Revenge of the Rose' because when I was reading that book, I was coming down with a rather bad cold/flu type thing and I rushed through the Stormbringer Omnibus like there was no tomorrow. I can't remember much except Gaynor was in it, as was a Rose and Elric made peace with his dad, oh, and Wheldrake.

The Elric series read in full does feel rather uneven with huge novels which act as sidestories and the main plot which takes place in small segments.

Comment

manmiles:
                    The Elric series read in full does feel rather uneven with huge novels which act as sidestories and the main plot which takes place in small segments.
                    True, but I think that's fitting to the whole multiverse concept-- law and chaos, perspective being different from one plane to another (I love Oona with her little Miggea-in-a-box), timestreams and moonbeam roads-- it wouldn't seem right if it were written in a totally conventional way.

Mr M, you didn't care for how Fortress of the Pearl turned out? It's one of my favourites! I'm not sure why, but many of the images from that book really stuck in my mind, they are imbedded there on a subconscious level. I loved the whole idea of dreamtheives. I loved the character of Oone because she was confident and she had this strange and mysterious talent. It was also interesting that things (and people!) from dreams were made reality. Even the Pearl itself was interesting, lots of symbolism whether you intended it or not. It was so big and shiny on the outside and so many coveted it, but what is a pearl really, but a grain of sand coated with, well, oyster spit? Just like the people in Quaarhasaat-- they were greedy for gold and silver and horded water in a desert, wore fine clothing, etc., but on the inside they were common as grains of sand and no more substantial. Lots of other things occured to me as I read FotP. I got a lot out of that book.

I really liked The Revenge of the Rose, too. I just finished reading it a couple of weeks ago.
                    WWED -- What Would Elric Do?

Comment

Originally posted by manmiles
                      I prefer the earlier Elric stories than the much longer ones present in the two volume collection such as 'Fortress of the Pearl' and 'Revenge of the Rose' which didn't do much for me, enjoyed 'Fortress' but again, felt too long.
                      The Fortress of the Pearl is a great book and it is barely over 200 pages. Most of the Ace books are pretty close to 160 pages and Stormbringer is about 220 pages.

Comment

Originally posted by thefub
                        Originally posted by manmiles
                        The Fortress of the Pearl is a great book and it is barely over 200 pages. Most of the Ace books are pretty close to 160 pages and Stormbringer is about 220 pages.
                        It FELT long while Stormbringer passed at a cracking pace. I think it's the progression and maturity of Michael's writing between the two as Fortress is a lot more detailed and discriptive compared to the fast paced Stormbringer.

Comment

I was, of course, aware of the symbolism of Fortress of the Pearl, including the journey itself to find the Pearl, just as I am in all the Elric books. The symbolism isn't meant to be there to be interpreted, of course, but just to add to the substance of the book. You know my old maxim that I didn't know any better -- I thought ALL books had to tell at least two stories, probably three. It was reading Pilgrim's Progress so young!
                          Thanks for your comments, pards. I just thought it was interesting to let you know how I saw the books. Fortress for me didn't add enough to the Elric mythos, if you like, though I have nothing against it for its own sake!
                          And, yes, even the longest Elric books are pretty short by most modern standards.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                          The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                          Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                          The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                          Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Working...
                          X