Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

2 more Elric & Corum Model Kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DyvimTvarsBodyguard
    replied
    Yeah, Ive been seeing that kit for years, too.
    They always seem to be from Asia and want anywhere from
    $25.00-$75.00 just for shipping.

Looks like enough-is-enough and the hammer is about to fall.

The long arm of the law now has deep pockets.

Leave a comment:

• Jerico
    replied
    Mike,

Hopefully you know about this, but...
    There's this guy on eBay, user name "cyber model" who seems to have
    limitless amounts of your Elric resin model, modeled after the Amano artwork. There seems to always be an auction of it from this guy. I'd say I've seen at least 3 different auctions so far from the same guy selling the same thing, although the pictures and name of the product vary slightly. One is called Albinone and the one up for bids now is called Elric the Stormbringer. Are any of these authorized? Where is he getting them from?
    Hmmmm...... smells real fishy to me. (I could be wrong, but...)

I'd say your lawyer needs to keep track of this guy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=4249

Leave a comment:

• DyvimTvarsBodyguard
    replied
    Is that a hint that we can expect some new licensed t-shirts soon?

In the sacred halls of history may you be remembered as a great author, musician and humanitarian,
    and your humble generosities be repaid tenfold!

Integrity over dollar signs,
    z

http://argoatv.com/

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    I suspect it's not the artists but the publishers who take off the references. I've heard from the guy who is Blix Studios and that's cool.
    He's made a few models for his own pleasure. This really isn't a problem.
    It would be even less of a problem if people contacted me in advance and told me what they wanted to do. Many writers do expect a royalty from artists who use their characters for posters and so on. Robert Gould, for instance, always insists on giving me a check when I sign a limited edition of his posters, though I have never asked him for money.
    I am so aware of how badly treated, compared to writers, artists are, that in many cases I've made sure the artist had all the money. This was the case, for instance, in Swords of Heaven, Flowers of Hell, where
    all the money went to Howard Chaykin. If, at some stage, there's a reprint or other editions or whatever, that's when I'll accept a royalty,
    but it's never been my habit to penalise fans for their enthusiasm.
    That's partly why I get my feelings hurt when some publisher decides to retitle a piece of work that's evidently Elric, say, presumably because they think I'll demand money from them or the artist. I would prefer to have some control over work done with my characters, of course, especially where, for instance, I have given exclusive rights to someone to do T-shirts.

Leave a comment:

• DyvimTvarsBodyguard
    replied
    From my own experience, and reading the ''multiverse.org Q&A'' since it's conception,
    Michael has been more-than-fair and extremely lenient, in all his correspondences. He is very accessible, for a celebrity of his stature, and has been amazingly generous with all ''reasonable'' requests.
    I can't imagine a superior artist like brom purposely disrespecting someone who has been such an obvious influence.
    I hope it was an unwitting oversight, not a legal or monetary decision why MM was not credited in his book.
    '' Offerings''
    It's very perplexing situation to me, since brom has always spoken highly of Mr. Moorcock and hiding behind a transparent wall of denial doesn't fit his M.O.
    I can't speak for anyone, but I think brom's intention was to honor, not capitalize, on ELRIC.
    But above and beyond all else, credit must be given where credit is due.
    What value does a tribute hold, if you don't seek the blessing of it's creator?
    Eternal Applause,
    Z

Wicked Cool Metal Wear ~Movie Styles~:
    http://perso.wanadoo.fr/satanas/p-styl.html

Leave a comment:

• Krieghetzer
    replied
    I have been taking up sculpture and recently did one where Frank Frazetta was crossed with a frog... "Frank Frogzetta" (school project). I really have been thinking of doing a few sculptures of a few Eternal champions as well. If they do turn out alright, I would like to make casts of them... but I guess I'll ask for rights etc when I get one finished. Btw, I'm also getting ready to do a death dealer one as well.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    It's only been going on in fairly recent years. I, of course, introduced a book by Whelan and have every admiration for him, but at some point
    it became clear that somone (not necessarily Whelan) thought they might have to pay for the use of the name and started dropping it off artwork,
    as has happened with one or two other artists in recent years. It's an
    irritation, not a matter of litigation.

Leave a comment:

• Jerico
    replied
    I recall in the "Who's the best Elric artist" thread, Mike said
    that Whelan hasn't properly credited the source (him and Elric), and
    now says Whelan has denied that [some?] of the paintings are Elric.

I have The Art of Michael Whelan (1993 Bantam Books NY, NY)
    and all the Elric Art is properly credited to Mike.
    Most of Whelan's best Elric are on the covers of the DAW Elric books,
    so there is no question there. ?
    Whelan's art is also in the hardcover of The Vanishing Tower so no
    question there. ?

So, Mike, what's the origin of the beef? (so to speak)
    It must have been pre-1993. ?
    Can you give the specifics?

I'm not trying to defend Whelan or anything. I like his artwork,
    but you are Da Man!

It's possible Whelan is an arse. And we all know the word wouldn't even
    bounce off of Mike, it would be repelled like a supermagnetic field would starting at
    a 15 foot radius. ("15 foot radius"-- using D&D type of description here.)

I'm guessing that a big part of Whelan's success is because of
    Elric and so he more than owes MM a sincere "Thank you!" :?:

Leave a comment:

• VonWeiner
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
    I am just fed up with the exploitation. It's not that I want the money these things make, but I don't like people being sneaky about it. On many occasions I've given permission for people to do things free.
    Sometimes that permision has been exploited in a way I can't condone.
    Even now, if people came to me for permission, I'd very likely grant it and the fee would be nominal, as has often happened in the past. What I especially don't like is people trying to exploit my characters by pretending they are not those characters (both Toy Vault and Blix are guilty of this and it's why I feel sour about Michael Whelan). If Toy Vault had asked to renegotiate their contract, in fact, they would not find themselves about to be sued now.

Was Whelan involved in any of these disputes? I liked his art but if he has been part of these things than that's sad. I am sure he would not appreciate anyone using his artwork without consent. Glad you are moving foward on the Toy Vault issue. I still have all of their content saved on my machine (the complete web pages) if they somehow "disappear".

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    I am just fed up with the exploitation. It's not that I want the money these things make, but I don't like people being sneaky about it. On many occasions I've given permission for people to do things free.
    Sometimes that permision has been exploited in a way I can't condone.
    Even now, if people came to me for permission, I'd very likely grant it and the fee would be nominal, as has often happened in the past. What I especially don't like is people trying to exploit my characters by pretending they are not those characters (both Toy Vault and Blix are guilty of this and it's why I feel sour about Michael Whelan). If Toy Vault had asked to renegotiate their contract, in fact, they would not find themselves about to be sued now.

Leave a comment:

• Bill
    replied
    But some of us (including here) would make that theft legal.

Go figure.

Leave a comment:

• dlackey
    replied
    I'm not surprised at this blatant theft of ideas. Look at the society we live in- everyone thinks they have the right to everything free now. Cds, books, video games, movies, everyone is stealing intellectual property left and right these days.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Yep, looks like Blix haven't read all that stuff about
    likenesses of characters as well as names. I'll turn it over
    to my lawyer. Thanks, pard. I'd seen the figure but hadn't been able to trace it. Again if it's just one or two that the guy's doing, he won't get
    any flak, but if he's selling it on a commercial scale, he's going to have
    to answer for it. It's just reached a point where I can't any longer afford to overlook this stuff. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Jerico
    replied
    I didn't see anything about trying to sell them though.

Maybe I missed it.

If I were doing sculpting, I'd be interested in doing
    Corum and/ or Elric. Problems should arise if I decided
    to mass produce and sell them though.

At least we are aware, and Blix Studios can be watched.

--Jer

Leave a comment:

• VonWeiner
    replied
    Ah-oh, looks like we have another problem (maybe)

Check out this thread:

[broken link]
    Last edited by Rothgo; 04-08-2010, 02:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X