Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Elric portfolios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elric portfolios

Now that the kids are moved out and we're unpacking boxes going allllll the way back to 1977, I'm finding some mysteries. For instance, there's a nice Elric portfolio which is sealed in an envelope I'm not going to open... I have no idea where or when we picked it up or why I never opened it (probably because we moved almost immediately after buying it). The cover looks like Chaykin, but it's strictly a guess on my part.

I wonder if there's a list of Elric portfolios somewhere. It's not the Brunner portfolio -- the cover is one color (tan/sepia) and numbered 170.

*jeep!
    --Chet

If the cover has the word, "Elric" at the top and a picture including a portrait of Elric and of him upon his dragon in flight, then it's the Howard Chaykin portfolio. The number would be on the upper left-hand corner of the cover. It's from 1975-1976. The portfolio contains a certificate of authenticity, and seven high-quality prints, the first of which is signed and numbered by the artist. It was limited to 1000 copies.

Two Man Horse/Dark Eagle put out a very nice 8-piece portfolio of Robert Gould prints in 1977. It includes a booklet with the prints describing each scene. These images were used in the Blue Star edition of 'Elric of Melnibone.' The first print is signed and numbered by thye artist and the set was limited to 1000 copies.

Frank Brunner put out a color print portfolio called 'Stormbringer.' I'm not sure of the date. The first print is signed and numbered and the set was limited to 2000 copies.

Rodney Matthews did an illustrated book called, 'Elric At The End Of Time,' which was published by Paper Tiger in 1987.

I'd also be interested in hearing of and seeing more. If anyone has more info. on other art collections or portfolios inspired by the works of Moorcock, please list them. Also, I'm curious what the seventh print from the Chaykin portfolio looks like....I'm missing the 7th print....

Here's a link to a website that lists some of the art and has images:

[broken link]

Here's a link to a related thread:

[broken link]
    Last edited by Rothgo; 04-21-2010, 02:11 PM.
    \"No, I think Space is a dimension of Time. My theory is that Time is a field and that Space exists as an aspect of Time.\" Michael Moorcock

\"All I know about anything is \"I wasn\'t. I am. I will not be.\" Michael Moorcock

Comment

Thanks, MJR!

That describes it perfectly! I rather THOUGHT it looked like Chaykin. I'm avoiding tearing it open, since I have to get rid of SO MUCH STUFF (whine!) so that we can move into a much smaller place about 500 miles from here. (whine, grumble) And since I have to get rid of it, I might as well put it up on (choke, gag) ebay. (Don't get me wrong. I prefer capitalism to most alternatives, and I don't begrudge ebay making a profit -- but it's gotten way too complicated and more costly than it had to be...)

Although I'm realllllly tempted to open it up and see what that 7th print looks like!

*jeep!
      --Chet

Comment

Glad to help....

ummm.....email me before you put that up on ebay please....8)

the seventh print might actually be the picture I described above from the cover. The other six are different...

Go ahead and open it.....

So......it turns out the seventh image referred to on the certificate is the cover image. Thank you Chet for looking!
        \"No, I think Space is a dimension of Time. My theory is that Time is a field and that Space exists as an aspect of Time.\" Michael Moorcock

\"All I know about anything is \"I wasn\'t. I am. I will not be.\" Michael Moorcock

Comment

Working...
        X