Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Nium Who Knew All

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nium Who Knew All

I've recently read Elric of Melnibone (the short story; I'm working my way through the book at the moment) after being hooked on Elric by the Fantasy Masterworks collection.

I was intrigued by the character of Nium Who Knew All, who Elric meets while pursuing Stormbringer. Is this the only reference to Nium in Moorcock's work? Or does he appear elsewhere, and if so where? I was just facinated by the character and his curse, and would like to read more about him if he appears elsewhere. I'd greatly appreciate any pointers.

Thanks.

Hmm, I'd forgotten about him. He, of course, can't have forgotten about me. As far as I know, he doesn't turn up in any of my other books, but now you've mentioned him, he sounds interesting. I'll check him out (as you probably know, I've read very few of my own books) and maybe get him a bit part in the very last Elric novel, The White Wolf's Son, which I'm currently writing! Which book is he in exactly ? If he does turn up, it will be thanks to you!

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

<<BOOT LICKING ALERT>>
      You know, much is made of the Multiverse and the Eternal Champion showing in various incarnations in your work, and you have commented much on that. But this isn't the first time that someone has asked a quesiton about a relatively obscure place or character or object in one of your stories and had it trigger something with you. I think these little things are probably the best indicator, on several levels, of the high quality and continuity of your work.

On a fundamental level it is simply indicative of the disproportionately large number of original thoughts and ideas in your work that you don't have to latch onto the "few that work" and beat them into the ground. (There are bands like this as well; Led Zeppelin for instance. Page had so many great ideas he could drop these killer riffs into one song one night in concert and never play it again ever, but that riff was probably better than anything in the entire catalog of many other bands).

On a higher level, it is incredibly realistic and indicative of the scope of the world(s) you created. How many of us have all these chance, random interactions in our life; some come back around repeatedly, some infrequently, and some never again, but all have an impact and an influence on our life. Too many books (and movies) present these cloistered, finite worlds and life isn't like that.

Thanks, Mr. Moorcock.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
        Hmm, I'd forgotten about him. He, of course, can't have forgotten about me. As far as I know, he doesn't turn up in any of my other books, but now you've mentioned him, he sounds interesting...

Which book is he in exactly ?
        Thanks very much for the response! It says a lot about you that you're willing to the minor queries of fans (and very quickly at that).

Nium appears in the short story Elric of Melnibone. After passing through the Shade Gate, Elric is racing Yrkoon to the runeswords. While looking for the Tunnel Under the Marsh he and Rackhir the Red Archer are attacked by Yrkoon's demons. Nium aids them against the demons and then points them in the right direction.

I just found the snippet of information we're given about Nium's history facinating.

Again, thank you for the response.

Comment

I like the snippets like that too. Hearkens back to writers like Dunsany and Conan Doyle, who made allusions to stories they never actually wrote.

Wasn't there another character who won a kingdom and then lost it? Was that Esbern Snare, the northern werewolf? And who can forget all the brave heroes who fought alongside the 4 who are 1 against Agak and Gagak? Hown the Serpant Tamer is my favorite.

Comment

I had a great fondness for Esbern Snare the Northern Werewolf. His situation was similar to that of Elric's in many ways, what with the anmal influences of the enchanted wolf hide he carried. He had rather a profound effect on Elric as well I recall. I wondered if he was some other incarnation of the Champion and I've been toying with ideas for a story centered on his travellings.

Don't think there was anything about him having a kingdom and losing it, though I think he had some social status. If I remember correctly,he was native to a sphere that either was or resembled dark age Europe.

Does Snare have his own story in the Champion cycle?

Comment

I'm probably getting him mixed up with another character. It just stuck in my mind, the man who won a kingdom and lost it. Sounded like a tragic figure.

As far as Snare, I think Revenge of the Rose is his only appearance.

Comment

Snare is the subject of a poem, probably by Swinburne!
                Check him out. I'll try to do the same. I just can't remember
                where I found him. He's unusual for me, since he is part of Norse mythology and not my own invention. Wheldrake is based largely on
                Swinburne, so that seems the most likely source, but it could be Longfellow. I'd have to have a look at it and I don't have a copy handy
                at the moment. I think we had a Scandinavian reader here who knew who Esbern Snare was. Quite likely some of the verses are by (say)
                Swinburne and some by me. This is not a deliberate deception, but
                quotation, to link invented characters with real ones!

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/whittier.html

The poem Kallundborg Church recounts the bit of Snare's tale where he dupes a troll into building a church in which he can wed his lover.

Comment

Working...
                  X