Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

New Elric cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Elric cover

In absolute preview for you:
    The new Elric cover for Audio Realms and the new Conan cover too...
    Elric has to be finished. He is in progress again...

Hieronymus

- Dalmatius -

"I'm forbidden to reign, but I'll never yield before the facts: I am the Cat"

The White Wolf's never short of a pair of cool boots. Lucky man in that regard at least.

It's looking good from what I can see, nice pose and colours.

Comment

Yummy!
      Free the West Memphis Three

Comment

Looking Good

Well that art work is something to be revered. Immaculate even. Conan & Elric are both fantastic, shame they never get to meet each other.
        Last edited by thisisatest; 08-15-2007, 01:52 AM.

Comment

Au contraire, mon ami, but they have.

Co-plotted by M. Moorcock himself, no less.
          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

David says right.
            I this case are simply two different cover.
            One is for Conan tales other for the "White Wolf".
            I've finished this one a few minutes ago...og boy I'm tired.
            Painting Elric is ever more difficult than other characters ( like Conan for instance ), but he gives me a great satisfaction when he is well done.
            I hope Mike likes it
            Hieronymus

- Dalmatius -

Comment

Cross over beetwen Conan and elric have been recrently published in French :

Conan l' intégrale volume III aux éditions soleil, dessins de Roy Thomas, histoire : une épée appelée Stormbringer .. .

Comment

It's a second edition. First was published by Arédit in the 80's.
                Free the West Memphis Three

Comment

Hieronymus,

I love them!

Your art is absolutely marvelous!

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                  - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Thanks Lemec, too much kind and thanks all of you.
                    Actually I'm fighting with my camera because it doesn't to focalize just the Elric...
                    Hieronymus

- Dalmatius -

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
                      Au contraire, mon ami, but they have.

Co-plotted by M. Moorcock himself, no less.
                      Is there a high price on them I wonder ?

Comment

Originally posted by Elric-ana View Post
                        Is there a high price on them I wonder ?
                        There can be, although the issues have been reprinted in a number of formats (none as good as the original comics according to our own Guy Lawley iirc).

There's a few copies up on eBay at the moment, with reasonable (and not so reasonable) starting prices:

Conan the Barbarian ##14 (1972)
                        http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CONAN-THE-BARB...QQcmdZViewItem
                        http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Conan-the-Barb...QQcmdZViewItem

Conan the Barbarian ##15 (1972)
                        http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Conan-the-Barb...QQcmdZViewItem

(Note: the first auction in each group is for UK 'pence' copies rather than US 'cents' ones. This matters to some collectors apparently.)

I make do with my Giant-Size Conan reprint personally. The convenience of having both issues in one cover outweighs any reprinting issues for me.
                        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I'll have to take a look whilst I'm still logged on. Thanks for that.

Comment

You can see all the various appearances of the Elric/Conan story in the Conan gallery.

Some of Guy's comments on the various versions follow:

Originally posted by GuyLawley View Post
                            Well, pards, I bought the Dark Horse reprint book The Chronicles of Conan vol.3, with the re-coloured version of the Elric stories, and I have to say this (and I have to say it at some length!):

(1) The black films used to print the two Elric issues are pretty poor. Comparison with the original comic shows that a lot of the cross-hatching and other line work has "blacked in." This makes the black artwork look considerably cruder than it did originally. The only thing in this book's favour is that the black plates used for the 4-colour reprint in Giant-Size Conan Annual 5 are even worse!)

(2) The new computerised colouring is very slick and sophisticated and all that, but this does not sit well to my eye with the original art style. Barry Windsor-Smith and Sal Buscema were drawing for 4-colour reproduction (albeit to a higher standard than a lot of the comics of the time). Given that the black line art looks cruder than it ought, the slick colouring is even more out of place. Simple black line art with fancy "air-brush" effect tones added can look OK, but it needs skill and restraint to get it right.

(3) There is far too much use of muffled grey and brown colours.

Page 29 is a good example. Two brown humans on brown horses seen against a brown mist and a brown tree, and even the background of the title logo banner is brown!! Elric has a brown hat, an almost brown cape, and a greenish-blue jacket that is tinged with grey.

Elric's clothes throughout the story are made a dim dark green / brown instead of bright green and red. His armoured gauntlets, beautifully drawn by BWS, and originally yellow/golden, are rendered here as dark greyish blue. In many panels his greyish blue arms are seen against blue-grey backgrounds. Result: hardly any tonal distinction between background and foreground elements.

An example of this: page 32, panel 1. For no good reason, the panel background and Elric's clothing are almost exactly the same colour. Result: the Elric figure has no graphic "presence" at all. He almost fades into the background, literally. The Conan figure is painted in such a brownish tinge of flesh colour that he too fails to stand out as he should.

(4) The colourists have done some clever computer tricks which they must think enhance the art but in fact sometimes IMHO do the opposite.

Examples: Stormbringer is in several panels given a sheen of white/blue-ish "lightning" or electric haze/spark effect. This might be clever in full colour art (except that Stormbringer is supposed to give off black light not white). But whereas in the original comic, the sword was seen as a shape, clearly defined, with this shimmery haze over it, the sword loses its shape and its definition. As a graphic entity it loses power, not gains it. (Page 31 panel 7 is a good example; also pg.26, panel 2.)

Another clever trick: they drop the blacks from some pictorial elements, such as the clouds of smoke or dust behind Terhali on page 37, where the black is replaced by brown. Taking out the black from some elements, in a picture where most of the shapes have black outlines, has the effect of dropping the non-black elements into the background. In this case, it works fine, as the clouds of dust are behind the foreground elements.

On page 33 they pull the same trick with the water of the lake, making the black lines into a greenish grey. Here they achieve the master-stroke of taking a foreground element and making it appear to drop into the background. Not so clever.

(5) Some of their other errors of judgment are simply impossible to understand. Why did they colour the dawn scenes (clearly stated as such in the text) on page 7, 8 and 9 like a sunset? They pull the same stunt on page 45.

Why take Xiombarg from her eerie demonic red colours, which made her look like a true goddess / demon queen, to the colours of an ordinary woman with overly-bright red lipstick on? `

Why take Gaynor from his original silver armour (which stood out against the backgrounds) and put him in blue-grey suit which drops back into so many greyish backgrounds?

(6) Reading the book in bright morning sunlight, rather than my first look under electric light, makes many of these defects less bad, but they are still poor use of colour. The original, anonymous, colourist of the comics did a much better job. He or she understood that colour in a comic book has a job of work to do, to aid the flow of the narrative. Unless they happened to be really talented in their own right, the new colourists should have been given a simple brief: follow the original colours but tone them down where the results would look garish on this glossy paper stock.

If they had any decent original ideas (e.g. make Elric's clothing nearly all black or dark grey to fit more with Moorcock's descriptions) they should have been capable of working the colours of other pictorial elements (especially backgrounds) to preserve graphic clarity.

These guys, I must conclude, have zero understanding of how colour should function in a comic book narrative. As with the artwork itself and the placement of the word balloons, colour is there to serve the narrative. It must aid the graphic clarity of the panels. The eye needs to read the artwork within a split second each time a panel is read. Every pictorial element needs to be clearly seen in its place. If the eye has to linger over the panel, working hard to figure out what each pictorial element is and how they relate to one another, either the artist or the colourist has failed the prime directive.

This is not some dry and academic exercise. A comic narrative exists to be read (probably more often by electric light than by bright sunlight) and has to be clear to the eye.

I am sorely disappointed to find that the "highest quality" printing so far of this well written and well drawn comic story should have been so badly coloured that it is not actually good quality at all.

I have revised my former opinion. So far, the best way I can see to read this story is in the original Conan comic no's 14 and 15. Copies in less than great condition might be picked up at reasonable prices still!

I am trying to find copies of the various B&W reprints it has had over the years. If one of them is particularly sharp it might win out!

Watch this space.

Yours,

Guy Lawley
                            (alias Pedantic Stan The Comic-Book Fan !)
                            Originally posted by GuyLawley View Post
                            Re: quality of reprints of the 1972 Conan comics (no's 14 & 15) in which Elric meets Conan:

At today's ABC mart in London* I finally picked up copies of the English Savage Sword of Conan weekly, no's 15 & 16, from June 1975. These reprint in black & white the original Conan issues. They are pretty hard to find, but when you do find them, they should be pretty cheap (£1.00 would probably be over-charging!). For UK readers these comics are not a bad way of adding the story to your collection. They do come up on eBay now and then.

Over all, Savage Sword 16 does a marginally better job of reprinting the second part than the more expensive Conan Saga (see below) even though a few pages are markedly inferior. No.15 is about equal to Conan Saga 5, though not quite so good on detail.

Conan Saga is a US monthly B&W mag from 1987, each issue reprinting 3 issues of the old colour comic. No.5 (Sept 1987) has a lovely reprint of Conan 14. Unfortunately the reprinting of Conan 15 in Conan Saga 6 is a bad job, with a lot of lines dropping out or running together. Some pages still manage to be better than the UK Savage Sword weekly 16, but most are worse. Copies of Conan Saga seem to cost about £2.00 at UK marts. They have the advantages of new Barry Windsor-Smith covers, two other Conan issues each, and better paper than the UK weeklies. The weeklies are browning noticeably.

To sum up: the best way of appreciating the art is still the original comics, but they could cost in the region of £10.00-15.00 / $15.00-25.00 or more each, depending on condition. The Dark Horse reprint book is good value for money and will last a long time on your shelf, but really does suffer from poor black reproduction and unfortunate re-colouring.

The Conan Saga two-issue set is a great way to own the first half of the story, but part 2 is a let-down printing-wise. Still the best reprint version over all, I'd say. If only both parts had printed as well as the first (sigh!).

The weekly comic from 1975 is a fairly good artefact if you have one in your attic or come across one before any of the other versions. Only a few pages in part 2 really let it down.

Avoid the colour reprint in Giant-Size Conan / Conan Annual no.5, unless it's the only printing you think are ever going to be able to read, and/or it is very cheap indeed.

But- the story is awaiting its historically definitive reprinting.
                            And you can read more - including some contribution from Mike - in the Elric meets Conan? thread (from whence Guy's posts are taken).
                            Last edited by David Mosley; 08-15-2007, 03:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X