Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Sailor on the Seas of Fate: Thank You!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Oddly, I never thought of what I wrote as 'dark'. But perhaps there was so little fantasy being produced when I was young that the distinction wasn't being made. I suppose Tolkien is light and Howard is dark. I
    always preferred Norse myths, for instance, and they aren't exactly cheerful (as indeed most myths aren't, since they reflect reality).
    I think that would be the influence, anyway -- mythology first, but I loved Brackett's science fantasy, Howard's work when I was young, and the
    darker bits of Edgar Rice Burroughs (Iss and so on). But I'm rather optimistic by nature. Maybe I'm trying to balance my own fairly sunny
    nature (some would call it shallow) by writing about fairly sunless places, as it were ? Also don't forget I was very conscious of the Freudian symbolism in fantasy when I started writing it, thus the tendency to deal with 'internal' locations, either representing the inner self or, indeed,
    the sexual self.

Leave a comment:

• Jerico
    replied
    Hi Michael
    I have chosen to write on Ghost's thread just in case you missed his(?)
    message, as well as to serve myself.

My thoughts right now revolves around "dark material."
    Ghost mentions S.O.T.S.of Fate. The opening sets the tone. It opens with describing a night sky like "a vast cavern" of "gloomy, unstable colours" above a "black and turbulent sea." Also coming to mind is the beginning of Warhound and the World's Pain where you describe a landscape scoured by the flames of warfare. I absoulutely love it!

So what would you say influences you to write dark material?
    Is the fact that you grew up during a war the strongest influence? Or is it merely because you are inspired by writers such as Lord Byron and the tragic stories of Shakespeare?

Speaking for myself I'd say I like dark stuff because I have always naturally gravitated to it. A partial but not extensive list of influences: Horror movies, The Elric Saga, Heavy Metal music including Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and other British bands. (It seems that British rock n' roll has what I consider the pioneers just as a certain British writer is one in sci-fi fantasy. ;) )

I just identify better with dark stuff. People who portray themselves as bright, shiny, happy-go-lucky often seem artificial or disingenuous to me-- such as the mood portrayed in daytime American TV; "Good Morning America" being a good example. I suppose what I don't like, is that this is a crazy world we live in (if not amazing) and it does amaze me how people seem so oblivious to things that should be salient just because it's unpleasant or "ugly truth." Perhaps this explains how corrupted American politics has been allowed to become. I'd say that I am a truth-seeker and I always want the truth no matter how ugly it is.
    Ok I'm rambling. I hope you respond, kind sir! :)

--Jerico

Leave a comment:

• ghost
    started a topic Sailor on the Seas of Fate: Thank You!

Sailor on the Seas of Fate: Thank You!

Dear Mr. Moorcock:

I have just finished SotSoF and all I can say is thank you. What a great story. I had read it for the first time as a teenager over 10 years ago (I cannot believe its been that long). I had bought all the new HCs as they were released in the US by White Wolf and have just now started reading them.

I loved the sense of wonder and loss that the story conveys throughout. I found intriguing the history of the ancestors of the ancient Meliboneans. It is amazing how the memory of the story started coming back to me as I was reading the story, bringing a smile to my face each time I said "Hey, I remember that" or "Oh, yea, he was a cool character".

Thanks again for the thought provoking stories and, ultimately, good times.

Nick

P.S. Looking forward to reading some of your works that I had not read, mainly those revolving around the von beks. Growing up I could only find books on three main ECs (Elric, Hawkmoon, Corum).
Working...
X