Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Elric movie status in 2007

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elric movie status in 2007

Mr. Moorcock, can you please give us an update on the Elric movie? It seems that your last post was in August of last year? Any specifics such as writer (s), director, and production start date? Thank you for your time.

Absolutely true. I try to get to the Q&A regularly to answer readers' questions, but don't get much chance to go elsewhere unless directed.
    I was, as it happens, talking to the producers only a week or so ago. Now that work is finished on The Golden Compass they're re-engaging rapidly, they said, with the Elric movie. We've changed approach once or twice as far as the production is concerned -- I think for the better. The 'fantasy noir' idea is paramount at the moment. I'm afraid I can't say much else at this stage, but we're still moving slowly ahead! There's no doubt that the relative failures of some over-budget fantasy movies like Riddick, Van Helsing, even Kong, made Universal take the movie off the front burner for a while, but since then they've had successes with dark, more thoughtful fantasy movies, including Pan's Labyrinth and Children of Men, which, in my view, Elric is closer to in mood.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Marvelous news!

I am very happy to hear that it is moving along.

The 'fantasy noir' concept sounds admirable.

I'm positive that will set a new standard and be an achievement in movie-making.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
      - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Yay! Hopefully the movies mentioned will make it feasable for a decent Elric movie to be made. Pan's Labyrinth is the only one I've seen, but it is indeed a very dark, very imaginative movie, of the sort that I think would set a suitible atmosphere in which Elric could work. If The Golden Compass is anything like His Dark Materials, then that film should only improve matters.

Comment

Good! I hope the quiet success of Pan's Labyrinth eases the way towards quicker production!

Miqque
          ... just another sailor on the seas of Fate, dogpaddling desperately ...

Comment

thank chaos!!!!!!!!

I don't wanna be to excitable here, but it is so great to hear, if this project is
            moving forward.

MY OPINIONS :
            Paul Bettany would be perfect!

Pull no punches with the quality/expenses!
            (Money does help a films quality.)

Colorize the film like that sparta/300 movie. It looks tremendous!

Actors are sometimes only as good as their directors abilities!

Make it believable, and make it rated R if you can.

I hope all this makes sense and is well received.

Mebbe i'm not expressing exactly what i'm trying to say, I just don't want a battlefield earth, spawn, or underworld -
            I as a fan want a goodfellas/lotr/gladiator/gangs of new york. (yes I liked those films and they were great even if you don't think so.)

Comment

Oddly enough we discussed The 300 as an idea for mood and colour. Paul B has now done his albino thing, I'd guess. Think it would send the wrong narrative message if we used him now...

The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
              Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
              Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

What a shame! Mister Betany would have been the perfect man. But you are right, he would remind us too much a good rôle in a bad film... A famous stranger, that will be great! no attach, no reference. Make a star!

Comment

Pan's Labyrinth! What a good film! What a vision! But Elric's movie must be more "baroque" and "grandiose". It must be a white stone in fantasy movie history! :)))

Comment

Originally posted by bob-e-bane
                    Actors are sometimes only as good as their directors abilities!
                    Very true. Just compare Natalie Portman's acting in Star Wars to...er, anything she's done since (especially Closer and Garden State)

Comment

Elric movie status

Mr. Moorcock that's good news! Thank you for your time. As you can imagine, I was getting worried; especially with those costly failures at Universal that you mentioned. Glad to hear that not only will this happen but it will be to your liking! Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock View Post
                        Oddly enough we discussed The 300 as an idea for mood and colour. Paul B has now done his albino thing, I'd guess. Think it would send the wrong narrative message if we used him now...
                        Ahh, too bad. He has such a great voice, and his wife would be an added benefit as Cymoril.

Comment

Hi Michael,

Thank you so much for the update on the movies progress. So good to know that things are still moving forward.
                          I absolutely agree that the film should follow the fantasy-noir direction. Pan's Labyrinth has to be the best film I have seen last year. Perhaps Guillermo Del Toro would be a great choice of Director (if one has not already been appointed?)
                          I have just checked out the website for The Golden Compass. Quite an impressive cast and crew. I am not familiar with Philip Pullman's work, but I shall make a point to check it out.
                          Interesting to hear what Chris Weitz has to say about working on the film - "I heard about a fantastic and life-changing British fantasy series of books. I was absolutely stunned by the imagination, daring and intelligence of the books.To me it is one of the great works of imagination in the twentieth century. I grew up on Tolkien but this, to be honest, leaves him in the dust as far as ambition and philosophical depth. At least, that is how I feel, and that is how anyone attempting to film a book should feel - utter commitment." I like that attitude

Anyway, I hope things start moving forward a bit quicker for you and ol' Elric now

Comment

Fantasy-Noir... the stuff that dreaming cities are made of...

I was just wondering, Mike, following on from your comment regarding DVD extras, if you would be tempted to do a DVD commentary yourself, when asked. Or will you leave that to the cast...

"This is where I fell over... oh, maybe I didn't."
                            "They cut that bit out!"
                            "Did they cut that bit out?"
                            "Yeah..."
                            "No, wait... this is the bit where I fell over..."

(Sphinxgod! Pullman's 'Dark Materials' books are very good indeed, and well worth a look... imho).
                            "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Pullman's Dark Materials trilogy is in my opinion his best work and one of the finest fantasy trilogies I've ever read. I have considerable admiration for it. The other YA series I really like is Holly Black's. Pixiepunk ? Faerie Noir ? Urban, gritty fantasy I can thoroughly recommend.

Comment

Working...
                              X