Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

ReelArt Studios licensing request for Elric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ReelArt Studios licensing request for Elric

Hi Michael,

My name is Michael Hudson of ReelArt Studios, a producer of licensed collectible statues of movie, pulp and comic book characters. I would be honored if we could discuss the opportunity of licensing Elric as a collectible resin statue. Our web site is located at www.reelartstudios.com. We produce the works of many major artists such as Frank Frazetta and William Stout and Elric would be a perfect fit with the types of works we produce. Our products are marketed worldwide by Dark Horse Comics and I am fully prepared to submit a proposal and contract for your perusal. I can be reached at 727-343-2152 or at [email protected]. I hope we can make contact with you as I know we can do a wonderful job with your property.

Best Regards,

Michael Hudson
    President,
    ReelArt Studios
    Last edited by reelartstudios; 01-06-2007, 03:53 PM.

Is it me or does Frank Frazetta's Silver Warrior bear a passing resemblance to Urlik Skarsol?

Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Good eye...Yes! The licensed Frazetta art titled Silver Warrior was used for Mr. Moorcock's book of the same title. So I guess in essense the art does represeent Urlik Skarsol. Another version of the Eternal Champion, much like Elric, Hawkmoon, and Corum and so on. Basically they share the same soul and their duty is to restore balance to the warring factions between Law and Chaos.

While we would love to use Mr. Moorcock's name and the name of the character in our marketing when the piece gets produced we do realize that we can't since it was solely licensed with Mr. Frazetta. At the time of our licensing with Frank I was not aware that this was used as a cover for one of Mr. Moorcock's books.

On that note, we would be honored to comp Mr. Moorcock a copy once the product is produced.

Michael
      ReelArt Studios

Comment

Nice stuff President Hudson!
        "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

Originally posted by Talisant
          Nice stuff President Hudson!

Thank you Sir Talisant! 'Tis okay to call me Michael...LOL

Comment

I'm waiting for that Tarzan and the Golden Lion statue. Yessir.

Comment

What a wonderful partnership this would be. Having read almost all of Michael Moorcocks novels I have been hoping that someone could do justice to the characters that Mr. Moorcock has created in a three dimensional form. Speaking from experiance I know that Michael Hudson and ReelArt Studios could bring these characters to life in a form that would make all of Mr. Moorcocks fans happy.

Comment

Yes, Frank painted that cover for what was known as The Silver Warriors in the US but appeared under my original title Phoenix in Obsidian in the UK. (Silver Warriors was my working title for the novel). Strange how that image was so powerful that they ripped it off for the Narnia movie, though, of course, it wasn't in the original.
                Bit of a shock for both me and Frazetta! But, then, it's not the first time either of us have had a similar experience...
                You behaved like gents over that one, Michael, so I'd be very happy to work with you, but you'll have to approach Universal who at present own the rights on Elric 'marketing'. If you can sort it out with them, I'll be glad to work with you on producing the best possible representation. This would probably be a good time to be doing one, maybe to coincide with the issue of the new 'Collectors Edition' Elric books which Del Rey are having illustrated throughout by the likes of John Picacio and Michael Kaluta, in early 2008.
                Perhaps you could get in touch with my agent Howard Morhaim who can help you contact Michael Prevett at the Gotham agency on Sunset. He would then be able to put you in touch with the right person at Universal.
                Sorry if this sounds complicated, but that's the protocol!

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                  Yes, Frank painted that cover for what was known as The Silver Warriors in the US but appeared under my original title Phoenix in Obsidian in the UK. (Silver Warriors was my working title for the novel). Strange how that image was so powerful that they ripped it off for the Narnia movie, though, of course, it wasn't in the original.
                  Bit of a shock for both me and Frazetta! But, then, it's not the first time either of us have had a similar experience...
                  You behaved like gents over that one, Michael, so I'd be very happy to work with you, but you'll have to approach Universal who at present own the rights on Elric 'marketing'. If you can sort it out with them, I'll be glad to work with you on producing the best possible representation. This would probably be a good time to be doing one, maybe to coincide with the issue of the new 'Collectors Edition' Elric books which Del Rey are having illustrated throughout by the likes of John Picacio and Michael Kaluta, in early 2008.
                  Perhaps you could get in touch with my agent Howard Morhaim who can help you contact Michael Prevett at the Gotham agency on Sunset. He would then be able to put you in touch with the right person at Universal.
                  I could not begin to express how incredible it would be if something could be done here. I have the Elric bust that was done a number of years ago, but the possibility of full size statues of Elric and other characters from your books would be beyond words for me to describe. And I know with all certainty that Michael Hudson and ReelArt would be my first choice for this.

Comment

Has anyone seen the Amano-based Japanese Elric figurine done about fifteen years ago ? At present, that's the benchmark for me, but I doubt if that's still available (it was very expensive) and it would be wonderful to see another figurine done to the highest standards, which I agree ReelArt are ideally suited to produce.

The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock

Michael,

Bless you sir for your response! Working with Frank (Frazetta) and the Frazetta family has been nothing short of a delight. I'm with you on the fact that so many creators get ripped off. I work with many artists and writers and hear this over and again. I think it is a travesty but we all know that it will never stop. Shamefully, there are those who will always hitch a ride freely on the accomplishments of others. ReelArt Studios positions itself a bit differently than some other companies in that we place a great value on the artist/ writer from whose work we produce our sculptural representations. You are not just a commodity with us! I love the characters, the writing and the art that we look to do and that is why I'm in this crazy business. I am a fan, first and foremost. I always repect that you as an IP holder have many choices from whence to go other than us and that the fans have many other places to spend their hard earned buck.

Michael, I will contact your agent as you suggested. As for Universal, it shouldn't be an issue, I hope. I am familiar with their licensing dept.

I have always thought Elric to be an iconic character. My feelings with wanting to produce an Elric statue is that with the resurgence of sword and sorcery/fantasy of late, especially the REH line, there would be no better time to represent Elric in three dimensional form to your legion of fans.

I'm sure we'll be speaking again and I want to offer you my heartfelt thanks for your kind words, your candid response and for directing me in how to get my goal accomplished.

Until later-

Michael Hudson
                      ReelArt Studios
                      Last edited by reelartstudios; 01-07-2007, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Thanks, Michael. I think Del Rey agree with you about it being an opportune time. Betsy Mitchell, head of DR, is putting a lot into the production and she, too, is a joy to work with. John Picacio and I have a friendship and association which goes back to the beginnings of John's book work. Doing the Elric books is giving me a lot of pleasure, and I agree it's far better (and generally more profitable!) to work from one's enthusiasms.

Comment

Working...
                        X