Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Elric fanart by Malachi Robb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elric fanart by Malachi Robb

Hi! I'm a recent arrival to the forums, been lurking a while, but recently decided I should come out of hiding and share some of my fanart with the other fans here. One of the admins suggested that I post up a notice here to mention it- considering the size of the site, this seems a very good idea.

I'm a surrealistic artist specializing in dark fantasty and Lovecraftian horror art, and one of my main fandoms is Moorcock's work, and I often draw fanart of Elric. I should likely pay some other characters some attention soon, but, there's something about the doomed albino which makes him a pleasure to draw.

Currently, the pieces are floating around in Limbo-

Through the Shade Gate (older work)

The Ruby Throne

Farewell, friend

To Call the Chaos Lord

Hope some of the other fans around here might enjoy them.

Hey, this Image Hive software is good. I moved those pics and the links are still good!

Very nice work, t-l.
    You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Compelling images. I can't believe how well this works. Great on so many levels.
      Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

Wow! Very impressive!

Comment

Great stuff. Thanks for putting them up

Comment

Striking images. I like them too.
            'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

I really appreciate the comments, thank you all very much!

I've got some more Elric art planned for the future- the hardest part is picking which scene to work on next. Corum has also been a tempting subject, he doesn't get nearly as much attention as Elric and needs more. Suggestions or thoughts are welcome.

Mike- Thank you very much for taking some time to look and comment, it's deeply meaningful and encouraging. Your worlds are a marvelous gift for the artist, abounding with inspiration in every corner. Sure you've heard the sentiment from many other before, but, the Multiverse is something to be grateful for. And it's a day designated for expressing gratitude in the US, and I'm here. . . so there it is. *hides so he doesn't end up sounding silly*

Comment

Perhaps some of the climactic scenes involving Corum, near the end of each of the 6 books; Arioch's heart, Xiombarg's defeat, the release of Kwll, The Palace of the King of the Swords. Killing a Fhoi Moire, his death scene with Mehdeb?

I wonder how difficult or effective it would be making our own home movie about Corum?!

Comment

I've always wanted to see someone's interpretation of Corum using The Hand to withdraw enemy forces from The Eye.
                  Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas, I'm definitely thinking Corum is due some attention, and, Corum using the Hand and the Eye to summon his allies is one I've contemplated. I think it's a must-do, along with some of the other climactic scenes, and intend to start re-reading the Swords to immerse myself in the mood.

. . .But there's one thing about Corum's physical appearance, all Mabden appearance really, that I'm confused as hell about. I'm unsure whether to interpret his remaining eye as having a purple iris and yellow pupil, or, if the whites of his eyes are the part which are purple, with a yellow iris. . . I -think- it's a purple iris, yellow pupil, but, don't want to get it wrong. . . can anyone help?

Comment

Well Corum was described as the last of the Vadhagh and hence is not a Mabden. I know his eyes were coloured, but I cant remember the details without re-reading the books. I will do so at some point for sure, but I need to wait until their memory has faded further first...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corum

For a great colection of Corum related images click here:

http://images.google.ca/images?svnum...corum+moorcock

Also just found this site for a full discription analysis and commentary of each of Mike's series of books:

http://www.novymir.com.au/terminalcafe/novels.html
                      Last edited by Tales from Tanelorn; 11-28-2006, 12:35 PM.

Comment

I think your images are beautiful. Please do consider contributing to the PX calendar?

http://www.multiverse.org/fora/showthread.php?t=4586

Comment

Thanks very much for the idea, Carter, sent an email off to the project organizer.

. . . And I did mean Vadhagh of course, hehe! I can be awful with names, especially when I'm not fully awake.

Seriously, if anyone knows for sure which part of Corum's natural eye is which color, it would be immensely helpful. I'm hoping to be able to derive it from a re-read, since there's a couple possible interpretations, but recall failing last time. Either would create an interesting effect, but, I'd rather get it "correct", or at least use the most common interpretation- which appears hard to see on any existing images. After finishing up another Elric (vs Pyaray), I'd like to start working on the Prince in the Scarlet Robe, I get excited about drawings, and grow impatient, heheh.

Comment

Originally posted by tekeli-li
                            . . .But there's one thing about Corum's physical appearance, all Mabden appearance really, that I'm confused as hell about. I'm unsure whether to interpret his remaining eye as having a purple iris and yellow pupil, or, if the whites of his eyes are the part which are purple, with a yellow iris. . . I -think- it's a purple iris, yellow pupil, but, don't want to get it wrong. . . can anyone help?
                            This is tough! "Yellow centres and purple surrounds" suggests that what is our "white of the eye" is purple in the Vadhagh, and our vari-coloured iris is yellow. This is how Mike Mignola interpreted Mike's prose in the comic version.

But later Corum's father is described as having eyes that have "mellowed to a kind of reddish purple with pupils of dark orange." This suggests it is the pupil that is yellow, the iris purple, and leaves open the possibility that the "white" of the eye is white in the Vadhagh also.

I remember disagreeing with Mignola's interpretation when I first saw the comic. I still prefer my second version above. Sounds as if you do too.

Mike, what's the real skinny here?

PS those paintings of yours are great!

Comment

Working...
                            X