Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Your Perceptions of Arioch's forms.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McTalbayne
    replied
    Im just tired all time, period. No matter how much i sleep i just need more. I wonder if theres something wrong with me?

Leave a comment:

• EverKing
    replied
    Back in highschool I used to write avidly. I used that same method, though I never really thought of it as such. I'd someties stay awake for three days straight without so much as a cat nap and very little food. It killed my grades and I never really wrote anything that I'd call good...but I grew the framework for a number of good sounding ideas that I hope to someday write. Never had any visions though. I'm probably just not cut out to be an author. Problem is, some of these ideas are practically screaming to get out of my head and on paper.

Mike, you ever get that? Where you have an idea that won't rest until you share it with the public.

Leave a comment:

• VonWeiner
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
    Being There was a Jerczy Kosinski book, as I recall. Sounds like a good Slavic joke to me.
    You may be aware of this, but it was actually made into a movie, staring Peter Sellers as Chance. That's the one I saw. I'll have to get the book though.

Being There:
    http://imdb.com/title/tt0078841/

Leave a comment:

• Jerico
    replied
    I'm not sure how old Michelangelo was when he died, but a friend of mine used that method and died at 58!
    :lol:

I believe Michaelangelo was in his late 80's before he expired. I will add that the 15 minute power naps is what I do during the day, but at night-- I usually get at least 4 or 5 hours of sleep. On infrequent occasions I sleep for only a couple of hours-- perhaps I'm on a good writing groove, the muse prodding me-- and then power naps become essential! If I go a whole day without sleep, then my body will 'shut down' at some point and I will sleep for 7 or more hours (which is infrequent) and it doesn't matter where it is. Put me inside a crate and mail it off, I'll sleep.

Something rare for me is remembering dreams. Billy Joel claims he gets his musical ideas from dreams, and what he comes up with is never as beautiful as that in the dreamworld. In contrast, my dreams are always trivial in content, and can be related to some dilemma in real life. I actually remembered some of what I dreamed last night. My cat was in some sort of trouble and I worred about him (he recently had to have surgery for a bite wound from his battle with the neighborhood nocturnal forager-- the skunk), then I woke up with him sleeping beside me.
    I'm hoping I'll be able to sleep more when I'm older. And not as worried about where I am in life and so more content and relaxed. ::crossing fingers::

So everyone, what are dreams like for you? (This might be interesting)

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    I'm not sure how old Michelangelo was when he died, but a friend of mine used that method and died at 58! The getting high on tiredness method also worked for me when I was younger, but these days I have to get high on the material or not at all. Being There was a Jerczy Kosinski book, as I recall. Sounds like a good Slavic joke to me.
    Some of my earlier stuff was virtually written as you describe. All you need is the right frame for the book and it works a treat. I suspect Phil Dick found it worked for him when he was speeding faster than an express train and letting the books write him. Which is how it feels when you write really fast. The fastest books I've written (Kane novels in two days a piece) really felt like that and I got this peculiar hallucinogenic
    high on tiredness and the images I was using. I've also had very complex 'visions' when very tired -- heavenly choirs of angels coming down from the clouds when I was out in the Yorkshire Dales. I always knew it was because I hadn't had enough sleep, not because I'd been picked by the Lord to spread his message... Anyone seen Calendar Girls yet. There's some very nice shots of where we used to live in
    Yorkshire. Made me feel homesick.

Leave a comment:

• VonWeiner
    replied
    I'm knackered. Don't seem to be sleeping much in recent days. I wouldn't be surprised if some of my published stuff will take on a surreal character...
    Maybe it will similar to that movie Being There (I think that's the movie title). You'll be so tired, that you'll write gibberish and your publisher will exclaim, "Wow Michael! This is really fresh stuff! A whole new approach. I mean, the way the man is at the gas station in New Mexico, then suddenly he's talking to a monkey while eating a muffin in Istanbul, wow!"

Michael says, "What the hell did I write? Istanbul?!"
    :lol:

Leave a comment:

• Jerico
    replied
    I heard that Michaelangelo took 15 minute naps. I try to do the same. Sometimes I have 5 minute naps. For me they range from only a few minutes to half an hour. "Power naps!" I don't have that problem with feeling worse after such a short slumber. It's amazing how much I can feel refreshed afterwards. Even if I don't go unconscious, just laying down and getting more blood to my brain helps!

I heard that there's a pretty good biography on Michaelangelo, called
    "The Agony and the Ecstasy" I believe?
    Anyone read it?

--Jer

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Although I'll be doing SOME work, I intend to take a break in Europe this summer which might even last through to November! It's been a long time since I had a holiday. But before that I have the last Elric book to finish and also the final Elric script in the graphic novel. Plus one or two other things. It will be a welcome holiday.

Leave a comment:

• Tales from Tanelorn
    replied
    Mike, dont try to do too much, a break never did anyone any harm.
    Best
    C

Leave a comment:

• lordmarioh
    replied
    I just read the comics for Elric of Melnibonأ© and the Arioch there is the one Michael described (without the mouth stuf... hehe). I thought that very nice... Anyone who already read Garth Ennis' Preacher will see a familiarity with the image of God (The Almighty - no, not Bruce).

So, Aricoh is God? :lol:

Leave a comment:

• Arioch
    replied
    Haha, i thought maybe what you were saying was going way over my head. Ive never heard the term "In mouth" before. See, even the best of us need sleep every now and again. Hehe.
    Exactly what i was thinking lol.

Leave a comment:

• VonWeiner
    replied
    I always pictured him as a young man with ancient eyes. But I know he could take on any form. He would choose the one that is most "useful" at the time

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    I'm knackered. Don't seem to be sleeping much in recent days. I wouldn't be surprised if some of my published stuff will take on a surreal character...

Leave a comment:

• McTalbayne
    replied
    In mouth ? I think I meant in both! Sorry. Teach me to type when too tired....
    Haha, i thought maybe what you were saying was going way over my head. Ive never heard the term "In mouth" before. See, even the best of us need sleep every now and again. Hehe.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    In mouth ? I think I meant in both! Sorry. Teach me to type when too tired....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X