Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

New Elric editions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• devilchicken
    replied
    Speaking of hot spells - I've just had 3 days of Alien Heat, showing a visiting friend around an extremely hot and humid NYC. Wouldn't be surprised if I've lost half my body-weight in water.

Leave a comment:

• lemec
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael Moorcock View Post
    Cheers, Lemec -- I hadn't seen those. That would be a good time to be in LV, maybe ? Our proposed trip this year seems to be getting more distant as we are still tending sick animals and have already had to cancel travel plans.
    Hello Mike!

Yes,I agree. It is best to handle things as they come.

The weather will be alot better in the winter. We had those severe heat warnings out here and it can get pretty uncomfortable.

In February or later,when the books are out,would be a great time!

I can get additional signing information from the local bookstores,if you need it.

I am sorry that you had to cancel your plans,I hope you still get to go everywhere that you want to go at a later date.

I fully understand that you have many important things to take care of,so I'll catch ya one of these days.

Please take care of those cats!

I hope everything goes well for you.

Best Wishes,

Joe (Lemec)

Leave a comment:

• Miqque
    replied
    Traipsing through the supermarket and the Wallymart it seems like 90% of the books have the author's name in GREAT BIG LETTERS while the actual title is quite secondary. More of that brand-name-identification stuff.

BTW, you got confused with one Michael Moore by my housemates. I had to explain that you weigh a whole lot less and have a much better beard. (One does not get into political specifics or field of endeavour with them. I am grateful they noticed something vaguely similar.)

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Cheers, Lemec -- I hadn't seen those. That would be a good time to be in LV, maybe ? Our proposed trip this year seems to be getting more distant as we are still tending sick animals and have already had to cancel travel plans.

Leave a comment:

• lemec
    replied
    Ah! It's great to hear about the auction!

About the new Elric edition....

I already pre-ordered a copy!

I will purchase more books for my shelf from the stores when they are in print,hehe!

Anyway,I thought I'd drop in and give some links that might not be listed.

Elric The Stealer of Souls

Written by Michael Moorcock
    Fiction - Fantasy - Epic; Fiction - Fantasy | Trade Paperback, 480 pages | January 2008 | $14.95 | 978-0-345-49862-5 (0-345-49862-3)
    http://www.randomhouse.com/delrey/ca...=9780345498625

ISBN: 9780345498625

(est. ship date Feb 1, 2008) -The shipping date they gave me.

Random House,Inc

Written by Michael Moorcock

Category: Fiction - Fantasy - Epic; Fiction - Fantasy
    Format: Trade Paperback, 480 pages
    Publisher: Del Rey
    On Sale: January 2008
    Price: $14.95
    ISBN: 978-0-345-49862-5 (0-345-49862-3)

Available
    January 29, 2008
    http://www.randomhouse.com/gm/result...uth_isbn=elric

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    I designed the UK edition (with Robert's help) myself. I do happen to think it's the best.
    I was lying about Dancers US editions. I have no Alien Heats left, maybe one Hollow Lands and some End of All Songs and Legends from the End of Time.
    But I will put what there is up for auction!

Leave a comment:

• tvissoc
    replied
    I agree. My US paperbacks are even more different. Except, I think the ROTR paperback uses the same graphic in the center of the US one, but different on the rest of the cover.

Like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Revenge-Rose-M.../dp/0441001068

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    replied
    Originally posted by Doc View Post
    Perhaps these didn't sell particularly well because everyone wound up with the book club editions?
    To be honest, I think the covers of the US editions rather unimaginative compared to the wonderful UK ones:

UK:

US:

(Apologies to anyone for whom they're your favourite covers. )

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied
    Auction! Auction! Auction!

Your shed of shame contains more good stuff than most sheds of success

Perhaps these didn't sell particularly well because everyone wound up with the book club editions?

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    They didn't sell especially well in the US. I have some US firsts in the Shed of Shame. Maybe I should contribute a set to the next auction ? What do readers think ?

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied
    I have to agree with you, johneffay. I am a bit of a collector. A first edition usually means something to collectors, particularly if it is scarce in that state. Bookclub editions are rarely scarce enough to be desirable (outside of their reading value, of course--which is their primary purpose! ).

An exception to the scarcity rule that I know right off the top of my head are the Karl Edward Wagner Kane books that Night Shade did a few years back. The book club editions are as rare as the publisher's editions. For what it is worth, I have copies of both, and you can really tell the difference in the paper quality of both the text and the jackets.

I find it interesting that I have seen far, far more second hand book club editions of all of the Dancers books than I have of the publisher's editions. I actually had a dealer in Ohio tell me that they were not released as publisher's hardcovers in the US. He was quite surprised when I showed him mine. Similarly, I think I have seen about a gazillion book club editions of the US editions of Revenge of the Rose and Fortress of the Pearl.

Leave a comment:

• johneffay
    replied
    Originally posted by Prof. Faustaff View Post
    I'm interested in the perceived snobbery (of which I'm guilty myself, btw) towards bookclub editions of books, particularly amongst collectors. It's almost as if they're not 'real' editions. Does their 'lower quality' play a part towards this attitude? Or is there some other factor?
    Well, it's all part of the obsession with first editions, isn't it? Even when they come out at the same time, bookclub editions are not 'proper' first editions as they don't have the original publisher's name and location on them. Also, they don't have prices on the inside of the dustjacket, and we all know how much 'price clipping' can devalue a book.

The best thing about bookclub editions is that people often end up with unwanted items because they have to buy something every month. As they are not worth very much but weigh rather a lot, they are not really worth putting on eBay. Result - unread hardbacks in the charity shop for 50p! I've had quite a few nice bargains that way, although you have to dig through an awful lot of those Readers' Digest 'three abridged novels in one' to get to the good stuff.

Leave a comment:

• devilchicken
    replied
    Out of curiosity - is Elric at the End of Time going to appear in the new collected editions?

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    That was especially written for Rodney to give him lots of room for his talent.

Leave a comment:

• devilchicken
    replied
    I know Del Rey did a hardcover version of one of the Conan books (the first one I think) with color plates of the interior illustrations for twice the cost of the TPB. Very nice edition, though I was a little surprised that they didn't follow suit with the others.

My parents used to be in one of the bookclubs in the 80's - and one of the new member selections (bought for me) was the Rodney Matthews illustrated HC version of Elric at the End of Time. I think that was actually the first of Mike's books I ever owned - though being around 7 or 8 at the time I didn't read it until many years later. I did like the pictures however ;)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X