Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

pronunciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pronunciation

does anyone have any idea how to pronounce any name of anything in the Elric Saga? particularly r'len k'ren a'a

Personally, I've always pronounced it "reh-lin-kren-ah". I don't know if there's any "official" pronunciation, or what the alternatives would be - that just makes the most sense to me.

Comment

I also thought it was "reh-lin-kren-a" I guess that works.

Comment

being french and not pat to foreign accent, i prononce everything french way : r'len k'ren a'a

Comment

Not being French and only comprehending English, Spanish, and Korean, I dont understand; how do you pronounce that the French way?

I usually try to pronounce things with the Japanese particles, which comes from watching as much anime as I do. However, r'len k'ren a'a does not compute.

Comment

Hmmm

Originally posted by Shazane Koronova
            does anyone have any idea how to pronounce any name of anything in the Elric Saga? particularly r'len k'ren a'a

I know naught, dear comrade... What about Arioch? How does anyone pronounce that? I always wanted to know if I was pronouncing it right... My computer pronounced it as Airy-Otch... Airy otch? No, I will not pronounce Arioch's name as: Airy Otch... I pronounce it as Ahri-oak... Or even Airy-oak... Perhaps I am right... It would be pure damnation to find that his name is pronounced: Airy otch!!
            They're all true... Especially the lies.

Comment

I always called him "ah-ry-ok"

What about Melnibone? The accent implies the emphasis is on the last sylable, but it just feels right to put it on "Mel" or "bon"

Comment

Originally posted by Shazane Koronova
                I always called him "ah-ry-ok"

What about Melnibone? The accent implies the emphasis is on the last sylable, but it just feels right to put it on "Mel" or "bon"
                Ah ry ok? I also thought of that... I thank you for not saying: Airy-otch!! I pronounce Melnibone as: Mel-ni-bone-eh... Thank you for the reply... I hope I recieve yet more... I want to know how everyone pronounces it...

Comment

Everyone else who replies, also say how you pronounce Yyrkoon and Dyvim Tvar.

I've always though "Yer-kun"

Comment

I pronounce it as :Year-koon, if that is what you mean... I also pronounce Dyvim Tvar: Di-vum T-var... It is not like we have a dictionary of all the names anyway, eh?

Comment

yes, I meant year-koon, and I pronounce Dyvim Tvar the same way as you

Comment

Shazane, you might appreciate Mike's 'official' response to how to pronounce names and things in his books:

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                        Yep. How do you prefer to pronounce Chichester, for instance ? Or, shall we say, Leghorn ? Or Peking ?
                        While I have certain preferred pronunciations of my own, however you chose to pronounce the names is fine by me. Accents are usually there to function in ways normal to French or German, for instance, and that's about it. If you want to produce Yyrkoon Eerkoon or Yerkoon of Yrrrrkn or however is up to you and your ears. In a world where half the people pronounce Iran Eye Ran and the others pronounce it Ear Ran and the Iranians pronounce it slightly differently depending what part of their country they live in, it seems natural to me that you should pronounce a name according to your own taste. I am, after all, not describing reality here and there are not likely to be any Melniboneans turning up to complain you've hurt their feelings by not producing Hishgegrowinaaz right...
                        That was originally posted in this thread.

See also this thread and this thread for more pronunciation queries.
                        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Question on 'Tanelorn'. I seem to remember a character from an MM novel (can't remember which one) trying to pronounce Tanelorn - can't remember if they were saying 'tayne lorn' or 'tanell orn'. Anyone remember the novel or pronouciation
                          Apologies in advance if this has already been asked but I couldn't find a reference to it.
                          I favour 'taynelorn' personally. cheers.

and over in the big black booth near the edge of the fairground, the last band is playing...

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Mage Of Melnibone
                            I pronounce it as :Year-koon, if that is what you mean... I also pronounce Dyvim Tvar: Di-vum T-var... It is not like we have a dictionary of all the names anyway, eh?
                            I've always thought of them as being Dy-vim and Ear-koon, myself.

As for Tanelorn, I started off thinking of it as Tayn-lorn, and later changed to Tah-neh-lorn.

Let's see how nit-pickingly exact we can get, shall we?

Comment

i agree with Hawksun i have the same way ....

my mastering of english prnonciation is not up to the task to give you others examples ...

Comment

Working...
                              X