Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

The Jade Man's Eyes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Jade Man's Eyes

Good to see you back on site, Mike. I'm going to sneak this in, in the hope that you are around to answer it. The topic has already come up in a discussion off-site.

I recently got hold of an issue of Golden Nugget, and in the SF review column by Bill Barclay (your good self I assume), it states that a new Elric story, The Jade Man's Eyes is due to appear shortly in SF Impulse. Now this dates from 1966, and the story didn't see print until the Unicorn edition of 1973. So I'm curious whether:

Jade Man's Eyes was written in '66 but lay around unpublished until 73. If so why, and how close did the story get to appearing in Impulse?

the title was conceived and an outline or draft was done but the story proper wasn't written until the early 70s?

It was quite a surprise to see this title mentioned a full seven years or so before the actual publication date.
    'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

That is weird, I agree. For the life of me, I can't remember. Must have had the title in mind for that length of time. Also Bonfiglioli hated Elric and was determined to run no further Elric stories when he took over Science Fantasy. Keith Roberts, however, would't have had the same prejudice. But it's possible Science Fantasy/Impulse folded before the story could appear and it DID lie around for a while before Bill asked for a story to kick off his Unicorn Press. I would frequently do stories for small presses in the hope it would give them a start, since I identify still with idealistic presses like that one. Could be that Bill, who could be a bit tardy, took his time publishing the story, too.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Well in another twist, a note on the front page of Flashing Swords: Volume 2, edited by the late Lin Carter and published in 1973, says, "Their Appearance in this book, is the first appearance in print of the four stories herein, which were which were originally written for this anthology."
      Within are four novellas, one being The Jade Man's Eyes.

Comment

And no, Lin didn't say "which were" twice. I just can't type.

Comment

Just been checking back on the actual column, since the original post was done from memory. This is a partial quote:

'..readers of the old Science Fantasy will be pleased to see the return of Michael Moorcock for the first time in nearly three years with a new Elric adventure The Jade Man's Eyes.'

and it appears that the story was intended to feature in the first issue edited by Harry Harrison, which featured his story Make Room! Make Room!, all of which suggests to me that the story was written and ready to be published. It would be interesting to know why it wasn't.
          'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Comment

That was the transition from Bonfiglioli ultimately to Harrison, but Ballard was editor for about three weeks until it was discovered that he and Keith Roberts couldn't get on. Harrison didn't like heroic fantasy and so it's possible I never wrote the story at that time or maybe did The Ice Schooner instead (essentially Keith Roberts was doing all the real work on those issues, since Harry wasnt in the country) because Harry's policy was to run sf rather than fantasy.

The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
            Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
            Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Interesting Mike. Because of the Harrison connection I sent an email to his official site, to see if any further information could be provided. But if, as you say, Harry wasn't really editor at the time I may not be able to find out much from there.

Going back to Thongor's comment, I wonder why Carter in Flashing Swords claimed that the stories were all written for the anthology, when Jade Man's Eyes obviously wasn't...

The other thing that occurs to me about this, is that were obviously thinking of resurrecting Elric much earlier than the early 70s, when the 'new' Elric stories started to appear. Carter in his Flashing Swords intro says that you thought you'd made a 'tactical error' killing off Elric so soon. So you must have been thinking of bringing him back not too long after Doomed Lord's Passing appeared? I don't suppose the majority of the Golden Nugget readership caught the significance of this piece tucked away in your column, and it's so long ago now you probably won't remember if it brought any comment.

p.s. does anyone have a run of Impulse to see if Jade Man's Eyes is mentioned in there anywhere?
              Last edited by Marca; 10-15-2006, 01:30 AM.

Comment

Well, I have a run of Impulse in Texas, but not here! I strongly suspect it wasn't mentioned. Lin was inclined to make claims that weren't always exact. It is however possible that I only had the title and the rough idea of the story when I was asked by Keith Roberts for an Elric story. Knowing Harry, he probably would have overriden Keith's request and I might just have had the manuscript hanging around waiting to be written.
                Also I WAS asked by Ken Bulmer for an Elric series for the magazine Sword and Sorcery, which never actually saw the light of day, so I might also have done it for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Marca
                  p.s. does anyone have a run of Impulse to see if Jade Man's Eyes is mentioned in there anywhere?
                  Can't see anything at all about JME, but no.9 does state that Kyril Bonfiglioli commissioned The Ice Schooner before leaving Impulse.

Comment

Working...
                  X