Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Which Character Of The Elric Saga Do you Relate To, And Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Character Of The Elric Saga Do you Relate To, And Why?

I would say Elric... Why? Because we're both moody, we have terrible luck, people think that we're diseased due to our pallid skin, and we both HATE Yyrkoon... (I have a family member that reminds me of Yyrkoon...) *Laughs*
    They're all true... Especially the lies.

Yes Elric, of course. I hate Theleb Kaarna.
    Hieronymus

- Dalmatius -

"I'm forbidden to reign, but I'll never yield before the facts: I am the Cat"

Comment

Technically,Hawkmoon,Corum and Erekosë are also in the Elric Saga.

So,my answer is:

Corum because he represents my need to learn to stand up and "fight" for myself and others, after only knowing peace for awhile.

Dorian Hawkmoon for feeling loss. For not being, (most of the time), phased
      by the chaos in the world. For being able to fight back.

Elric for his strong emotions,love,hate,sometimes introspective moodiness.
      His desire for revenge against his enemies. For being a skinny lad,at one time.
      For his intelligence and use of it to achieve his goals. His sadness and concern for others. For seeing and understanding my own faults and flaws.

Jhary-a-Conel represents my friendship and enthusiasm for adventure.

-------------------

Good Question!

Thanks!

-Lemec

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
      - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Wheldrake, because I used to spend a lot of my time drinking on Putney Heath.

Comment

I really took a liking to Von Bek in Warhound and the World's Pain. Er, and I was rooting for Stormbringer at the end of the novel of the same name. I also think that the Rose is quite amazing. She's proving to be quite an interesting character in Silverheart as well, tangential to the other multiverse tales as that novel seems to be.
          The name that can be named is not the true name.

Comment

I'd like to think I had more in common with Oswald Bastable, but suspect I'm probably the 3rd Brigand on the left having his soul sucked out of him by a black runesword during one of the climatic chaos battles in Stormbringer.
            _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
            _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
            _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
            _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley
              I'd like to think I had more in common with Oswald Bastable, but suspect I'm probably the 3rd Brigand on the left having his soul sucked out of him by a black runesword during one of the climatic chaos battles in Stormbringer.

Along with some pithy line of dialogue like "Die, dog of Melniboneeeaaaaah!! No, not my soul!!"
              The name that can be named is not the true name.

Comment

Since we seem to be expanding the question to all EC's...

In some ways I relate to Sam Oakenhurst. While I'm not nearly as tragic a figure, we both have been shaped by our past affiliations and reading the pulps, and have friends who are high stakes gamblers. We also share a hope for humanity...

I have at times related to JC at the end of The Condition of Muzak (minus that thing for my sister...)

But, like David, I think I may have the most in common with the inconsequential character who gets his sould sucked out by Stormbringe..

Comment

John Daker. Because I seem to remember everything, even when I'd really rather not.

Comment

Probably Moonglum, because, although I'm generally cheerful, I do have a tendancy to be a bit more pessemistic at times. However, as I've mentioned elsewhere on this forum, my life incudes far less womanising than Moonglum's - which, apart from anything else, given the trouble it gets him and Elric into, is probably a good thing.

Comment

Rakir the red bowman because he chooses ......

Comment

The Theocrat.
                        Because if you're gonna be evil, then stop whining about it and BE evil.

Comment

Some years back I reread the Elric saga specifically with an eye to analyzing why this series affected me so deeply, resonated with me so profoundly. I didn't have to read very far - it's all there on the very first pages of Elric of Melnibone. I could now put why I love Elric (and relate to him) in some very simple terms: Elric doesn't dance.

That very first scene, when Elric is confronted by Yrkoon over the fact that he refuses to dance with the rest of his court is like a replay of so many of my own social situations, especially at the time I first read the books (when I was 15 or 16). Yrkoon essentially asks Elric: "Why aren't you enjoying yourself by acting like a fool with the rest of us?" And Elric replies: "How do you know I'm not enjoying myself just because I don't dance? Isn't it possible to take pleasure simply in watching the pleasure of others?"

Bingo and thank you, Michael Moorcock! I can't tell you how many times I was involved in that exact echange throughout my early teen years. At parties, people would ask that exact question: "Why aren't you having a good time?" simply because I don't dance. And I'd respond to these morons - "I'm eating good food and watching pretty girls dance, what makes you think I'm not having a good time?"

Elric is contemplative and serious. To him, dancing and acting like a fool is NOT his idea of having a good time. He'd rather sit on his throne, apart from most everyone where he knows he belongs, and watch and THINK and have a conversation with Cymoril. These are the things that give him enjoyment.

It's the predicament of the intellectual, and Moorcock spelled it out so beautifully in that opening scene.

Elric had me from hello....

Comment

AriochRIP remembers me when I was 15... oh boys...a lot of time ago...
                            Hieronymus

- Dalmatius -

"I'm forbidden to reign, but I'll never yield before the facts: I am the Cat"

Comment

Smiorgan Baldhead...
                              You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Working...
                              X