Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Stormbringer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stormbringer

Until a year ago, i had never even heard of Michael Moorcock. I read Neil Gaimans "one life furnished in early moorcock" this past january. I was immediatley intrigued by the characters described, and sought to find out more about them. I eventually came to find out the names of the Elric books, but found out they had been long out of print. I got a hold of the Elric Saga Pt.1 about 6 months ago. Well, between starting a new job, getting married, and a death in the family it didnt leave me much time to read. I eventually finished Pt.1 this past Dec. and in order to feed my newfound addiction immediatley ordered pt.2 from a used bookstore. So i guess its safe to say that im nowhere as knowledgeable about The Multiverse as the rest of you are. I am however striving to increase my knowledge. But anyways...

I just finished reading Stormbringer, and all i can say is...wow. I dont know how to feel. What an amazing saga. Ya ever grow so attached to a character that you are sad when his story ends? Man, im depressed...

Elric's story doesn't end there my friend!

You'll find that he turns up again in some of Mr. M's more recent work (The 2nd Ether Trilogy, Tales From the Texas Woods), and of course the 2 Elric sequels (a 3rd forthcoming).

Did the collections you read include Revenge of the Rose and Fortress of the Pearl? If not, you should get those too. They are great books.

And don't forget to seek out Elric At the End of Time!

Comment

Yeah, i have every elric book except the Dreamthiefs Daughter, and The Skrayling Tree. I havent gotten a chance to read Revenge of the Rose, and Fortress yet. I just joined the SF bookclub and the elric saga pt.3, which has them, i just received. I was under the impression that they all take place before the events of Stormbringer though. Whether it be in a dream or inbetween certain storys. Is that true?

Comment

That is true. All the other stories fit into Elric's timeline before Stormbringer, but at least you have more adventures to read!

Comment

Yeah thats true. Thanks for the info bud!

Comment

As you can see, there's a good reason dlackey is the encyclopedia editor!

He is The Moorcockopedia! :D
            When they had advanced together to meet on common
            ground, then there was the clash of shields, of spears
            and the fury of men cased in bronze; bossed shields met
            each other and the din rose loud. Then there were
            mingled the groaning and the crowing of men killed and
            killing, and the ground ran with blood.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

Stop that!!!

:lol:

Comment

Moorcockopedia, Moorcockopedia, Moorcockopedia!

Nah, nah, nah. :lol: :P
                When they had advanced together to meet on common
                ground, then there was the clash of shields, of spears
                and the fury of men cased in bronze; bossed shields met
                each other and the din rose loud. Then there were
                mingled the groaning and the crowing of men killed and
                killing, and the ground ran with blood.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

Yeah Dlackey, don't fight the people.

Moorcockopedia, Moorcockopedia, Moorcockopedia
                  \\

Comment

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
                    I'm sorry if I'm about to annoy a lot of people and i also apologise in advance for stating the bleeding obvious.
                    How can the Dreamthief'sDaughter and the Skrayling Tree fit into the Elric timeline. There is no mention of them. Dlackey, I appeal to you on behalf of the termianally confused. Please, in the name of God and all that is holy explain. (The Charity for the terminally confused can be sent money at this address:
                    W. E Dont
                    E. Xist
                    Send us money, You bastards
                    P O Box London WJZ 6GY)
                    goodnight and godbless....

Ahem...
                    I know how you feel by the way about feeling incredibly insignificant on Multiversal knowledge. I've only been reading Mike's work for a relatively short time, but don't worry, it'll soon come. Pick up as much of his work as you can and set aside a weekend for doing nothing else but reading!

Comment

The Skrayling Tree is an obvious fit- Moorcock writes specifically that it happens during the events of "Stormbringer". Elric is hanging on the mast of Jagreen Leen's (sp?) ship and his sword is missing so he attempts to summon it. There is a scene in "Stormbringer" where Elric passes out, and when he comes to later, he is able to summon Stormbringer to him. The events of the Skrayling Tree happen while he is passed out, dreaming his dream of 1000 years.

The Dreamthief's Daughter makes no specific reference as to when it occurs, but logically, it must happen somewhere between "The Vanishing Tower" and "Stormbringer". TDD occurs while Elric is hanging out in Tanelorn. I don't have the books in front of me, but if I remember right, he finds Tanelorn in "The Vanishing Tower." "The Revenge of the Rose" occurs while he is wandering away from Tanelorn. I believe that is true of the events of "The Bane of the Black Sword" as well. If I had to make a guess, I would say that TDD takes place after The Revenge of the Rose, but before The Bane of the Black Sword.

Comment

Working...
                      X