Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Is the world of the Young Kingdoms flat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the world of the Young Kingdoms flat?

Hi all. I'm sorry if this has been covered somewhere but I just have a question. I can't seem to turn up anything with search.

I bought and am rereading the Elric saga. I first read them in junior high oh, 1987 or so. Anyway I actually rwead the first three Corum books first, and I noticed somewhere there was mention that some world dominated by chaos are flat. As I read the second book in the Elric series one character mentions how he has been to World's End. Is the world of the Young Kingdoms flat? If so, what happens when you reach the end of the world? what do you see? Is there some kind of barrier?

I ask because I am trying to envision it and also I was thinking of running a rleplaying game with this setting and would like to know how it's supposed to be.

Any thought?

Thanks for your time.

According to the title story (Earl Aubec) of the collection discussed in this link -

http://www.multiverse.org/fora/showp...17&postcount=6

at the edge of the world is a formless mass, which can be made into land etc, by force of will. Earl Aubec's will in this case. The story was originally called 'Master of Chaos' which is a suitable title and was also available in 'The Singing Citadel' collection, which contains only one true Elric story.

Welcome to the site by the way, hope you'll stay for a while.
    You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Hi GS. My interpretation was of a million spheres in the fifteen planes of the multiverse.
      Towards the end of THE WEIRD OF THE WHITE WOLF as Elric, Yishana and Theleb K'aarna approach the Singing Citadel they encounter The Stuff Of Chaos.
      "By late afternoon they had topped the range of hills surrounding the valley and looked down at the mysterious citadel. Yishana had described it well-but not perfectly. Elrics eyes ached as he looked at it, for it seemed to extend beyond the Realm of Earth into a different plane, perhaps several.
      It shimmered and glittered and all Earthly colours were there, as well as many which Elric recognised as belonging to other planes. Even the basic outline of the citadel was uncertain. In contrast, the surrounding valley was a sea of dark ash, which sometimes seemed to eddy, to undulate and send up spurting geysers of dust, as if the basic elements of nature had been disturbed and warped by by the presence of the supernatural citadel."
      I would judge this more likely to be the end of mass & matter on that plane (dimension) than the end of a 2D world, but only the author knows for sure.
      Speaking of The Stuff Of Chaos check this out.....Scientists: Dark matter exists...

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/space/0...ter/index.html

Comment

I have to say that I imagine world's with an edge to be in some way unfinished. I am inclined to imagine worlds as round, though their inhabitants don't always believe that. Given that I'm arguing for worlds being created from the imaginations of those who live in them, it's possible that some have imagined flat worlds for themselves.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
        The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
        Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
        The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
        Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Thanks for the responses everyone...and even a response from Mr. Moorcock himself! It's amazing how the internet can bring one into contact with people who would never end up communicating otherwise.

Thanks for the warm welcome too. I think the Elric books were about the first fantasy series I ever discovered and I read them eagerly when I was about 11 or 12. I'm 30 now, wow I feel old. So my memory of them is fond but sparse at this point. I just started the third book again.

I sometimes write fan stuff for Eden Studios roleplaying books, and some people and I put together a little netbook for Terra Primate which is fantasy based for one of their games. Anyway the point of my rambling is that in these game lines you have "mini-worlds" to get people started for a genre, and in this netbook I put in an "aped" verion of Elric's world, with a narrator named Elric with a "k" I'll put a link for your amusement if you're so inclined.

http://www.gorilladen.com/Serpents_Simians.pdf

Look for "Stormwreaker" in the table of contents. heh heh.

Comment

Just thinking out loud here...if the world was flat, why would ships need crow's nests so the crew could see over the curvurure of the earth? If it was flat, it wouldn't make a difference whether you were at the top of the mast or on deck, or would it?

I'm sure there's some reference to crows' nests on Melnebonian or YK ships, but I'm too lazy to look it our right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawksun
              Just thinking out loud here...if the world was flat, why would ships need crow's nests so the crew could see over the curvurure of the earth?
              Well, whenever Elric goes on board a ship he almost always runs into gigantic waves of one sort or another. Perhaps the crow's nests are for looking over the top of them

Comment

Yes to see beyond waves, other ships, demon mists, sea creatures and all other sorts of Chaos Stuff. But thats all incongruous considering that Mike Said:
                I am inclined to imagine worlds as round, though their inhabitants don't always believe that.
                The inhabitants of course being the characters created by the author himself, which do need crowsnests in order to navigate ships in their spherical realms.

Comment

Wow,this is a question I intended to ask!!!

So,we have a world that has some edge.An end of the world.Also there is a race that comes from beyond this end.The ones that are defeated by very unpleasant magic-100 000 soldiers killed in such a way...

BUT,on the other hand we have the guardian of the Book of the Dead gods telling to Elric that he is "trapped on this tiny ball"-obviously refering to a planet or something.

Of course,at the end of the series it has no meaning how the world was... :)

Comment

Heiron Wrote
                    So,we have a world that has some edge.An end of the world.
                    Isnt it more of an U.M.S. An overlapping of dimensions or Planes as you will? A breakdown of matter and mass as it exists in neither one plane or the other, yet still exists. Only the author knows.

Comment

U.M.S???Sorry,English is not my native language...
                      Yes,I don't say that there is nothing beyong the end of the world.There could be some unformed world or some other "dimensions".I was thinking some story with a world like that when I first learned about the expansion of space.
                      Maybe the words of the giant at the castle of Chaos should have been editted in the later editions.Because he gives a clear image of a world like Earth.

Comment

U.nstable M.atter S.ituation from The Wrecks Of Time.

Comment

At the edge of the world there lies... a shrubbery. And not too expensive.

Comment

Hang on - what'd I do to earn that new title and that pig-sticker?!

Comment

Idea :

At the time of earl Aubec, the world was not finished, not flat but with an edge of pure chaos.

At the time of Elric, the world was finished and round.

Comment

Working...
                              X