Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Conan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conan

Hi Mike,

I read in the back of th Sailor On The Seas Of Fate comic that Elric participated in some Conan stories.... Is that true? When? How? And most important: Why?
    \\

I think he was in a couple issues of conan, i know he was in number 15 for sure. I never read them so i dont know why he was in them. They may be cool to read anyway.

Comment

Actually I JUST heard from a friend that Dark Horse have just reissued the issues which used a storyline developed by myself and Jim Cawthorn, where Conan and Elric meet. Sadly Barry Windsor Smith had only seen an old paperback representation of Elric so drew him in this very odd pointy hat. I was never particularly pleased with that version and Barry always said he wanted to draw another Elric sometime closer to how I'd imagined him. He reasonably thought I'd had some input into the Jack Caughan cover, which I had never liked.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
      The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
      Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
      The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
      Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Conan and Elric together. Hmmm

I picture Conan looking at Elric and saying, "you are like woman" until Elric breaks out the sword and some magic, then Conan says, "Crom!"
        When they had advanced together to meet on common
        ground, then there was the clash of shields, of spears
        and the fury of men cased in bronze; bossed shields met
        each other and the din rose loud. Then there were
        mingled the groaning and the crowing of men killed and
        killing, and the ground ran with blood.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

I havent seen the issue where Elric and Conan met, but i have read one story where Conan faced Gaynor the Damned, and there were references to some other characters from the multiverse in that story that was based on Moorcock saga. I dont remember cause it was many years ago but it may have been something like the queen of swords xiombarg mentioned also, i cant recall...

Comment

But the story is cool?

Because it sounded strange at first sight... Like Terminator vs RObocop from Frank Miller.

Could anyone give me the original number... There's a comic library in my city and they have a gigantic Conan collection (they also have the Multiverse comic - in english of course)
            \\

Comment

Elric and Conan

OK, it was issues 14 and 15, but also reprinted in the Giant-Size Conan
              #5. I have the Giant Size issue. I believe it has some extra storyline
              for continuity.

The story was pretty cool - it pitted Conan and Elric against Terhali, the
              Green Empress. There's some good background info in it that was never
              seen before, nor I suppose alluded to ever again.

Ian
              Diplomacy: The ability to tell someone to
              go to hell so that they will look forward to
              making the trip.

Comment

Terhali was one of Melnibonأ©'s oldest Queens, right? And, of course, Second Ether denizens know of the famed TERHALI'S PARTICULAR PLEASURE, a ship of The Chaos Engineers. Also, I think Corum's mates from another part of the 15 Planes had a ship named TERHALI'S PARTICULAR PLEASURE.
                The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Originally posted by lordmarioh
                  Could anyone give me the original number... There's a comic library in my city and they have a gigantic Conan collection (they also have the Multiverse comic - in english of course)
                  It is available from the new Dark Horse reprint graphic novel series, details of which can be found here:

http://www.darkhorse.com/profile/profile.php?sku=12-736

Comment

Ah, the Barry Windsor Smith Conan comics. Showing my age a bit here but I have a couple of the original BWS Marvel comics. Superb stuff.

That Dark Horse edition looks fantastic Mr Durall.

Comment

Saw the comics in question today, interesting story. Gaynor also makes an appearence in the story and Elric's hat does look rather funny, more in line with Corum's famous helm.

Comment

Might be worth mentioning here that I wrote about half a Conan story many, many years ago. It was commissioned for a magazine called Fantastic Universe which folded before I could complete the story. At the time I was in touch with L. Sprague de Camp about doing Conan sequels. Sadly more of the sequels done by Sprague and others were really not up to the Howard originals. Maybe Karl Wagner was the best to do Howard sequels. He had a sense of the manic lyricism that was Howard's trademark. That Conan/Elric story also appeared in one of the regular size paperback versions of the Conan series which appeared in, I think, the seventies. And Barry never did get a chance to draw Elric right. A few years ago, when we were planning the Multiverse comic, I asked him to do the Elric thread. He really wanted to do it, he said, but he was overworked at the time. Maybe one day we'll eventually get together to 'redeem' that pointy hat.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                        The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                        Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                        The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                        Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Hmmm, more group think.

I never thought anyone wrote Conan the way Howard did. His descriptions of Conan and his fights/battles were wonderful. I always loved how Conan would have injuries that would cripple a "civilized man", but to him they were mere scratchs, a nuisance, and nothing else. Those books kept me mesmerized for hours. I couldn't put them down.

Much like yours!
                          When they had advanced together to meet on common
                          ground, then there was the clash of shields, of spears
                          and the fury of men cased in bronze; bossed shields met
                          each other and the din rose loud. Then there were
                          mingled the groaning and the crowing of men killed and
                          killing, and the ground ran with blood.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

I havent read the original conan book by Howard, its one of the things i always say that i definately must do one of these days. I ll read it when i finish Robin Hobb's Fool's fate. Which one exactly should i get when i have the time to? what is the original conan book's title?

Btw, Mr Moorcock can I take the opportunity to congratulate you on your astonishing work and thank you for your books, especially the tale of the Eternal Champion that i read and loved since i was 16. Also I would like to thank you for participating in this forum and enabling us to communicate with you.

Comment

I just joined the Science Fiction Book club, and for one of my free books I got Vol. 1 of Robert E Howards Conan Stories. Its called , The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian.

Comment

Working...
                              X