Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Homosexuality in the young kingdoms ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homosexuality in the young kingdoms ?

Spurred on by the other thread somewhere on these forums, regarding Elric and / or Moonglum being or, likely not being, gay, it did raise a question.

How /is/ bi or homosexuality viewed in the young kingdoms ? Typical medieval abhorrance, "dont ask, dont tell", lawfull fanaticism, a shrug of the shoulders and a "well, at least they arent sorcerers", or does it even matter ?

Are there any hints at this in any of MM's material ?

Of course, I could imagine Melnibonean's not particularly worrying about triflesome detail such as who you decide to do the chaos-mamba with.

With that, my hunch about Melnibone is that as such an ancient kingdom there was a marked decrease in offspring - particularly viable offspring. Would this not encourage meeting-for-mating, and more, copulation specifically at fertile times? How might this affect proclivities such as homosexual or multiple-partners scenarios? Would the more important Melniboneans practice chastity to build virility to enhance chances of catching? Or would they, as Melniboneans, merely continue to indulge themselves in favored pastimes?

(I tend towards the latter theory, as Yrkoon was shown with a small harem in MoS. I think they operated by the Pleasure Principle.)

Miqque
    ... just another sailor on the seas of Fate, dogpaddling desperately ...

Comment

I can't imagine that the Melnibonéans would consider same-sex relationships unnatural in any way. When you are able to summon demons of pleasure or keep harems of surgically altered slaves, someone having sex with a person of the same gender must seem rather tame. ;)

Some of the more lawful of the Young Kingdoms are probably inhabited and ruled by the same sort of bigots that regretfully inhabit and rule certain nations of our world, so I'd expect a harsher view there.

Comment

can't imagine that the Melnibonéans would consider same-sex relationships unnatural in any way. When you are able to summon demons of pleasure or keep harems of surgically altered slaves, someone having sex with a person of the same gender must seem rather tame. ;-)

Some of the more lawful of the Young Kingdoms are probably inhabited and ruled by the same sort of bigots that regretfully inhabit and rule certain nations of our world, so I'd expect a harsher view there.
        Reminds me of a particular story about Nero (the real 'coinoisseur' of the roman orgy). Apparently he took a particular liking to a male slave, dressing the poor sod up in womens clothes, castrating him and using him for sex.
        Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Working...
        X