Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Elric/Warlock X-Over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elric/Warlock X-Over

Hello Michael Moorcock. Would you be interested to colaborate with Jim Starlin on a Adam Warlock/Elric crossover?

Ooops, sorry. I am not Mr Starlin (but I wish I were).

But if you were not just being sarkastic, I can certainly try to go to one of the comic-book creators' boards, and post a link to this topic here. If you have nothing against it, that is...

...And sorry that I only now got to review this topic, Mr Moorcock. But I had a lot of stress the last months...

BTW, what did you think of the seventies' Warlock series? Did you like it, too-- despite the fact that Adam Warlock was basically an Hawkmoon/Elric rippoff?

Comment

I read Warlock as a kid (when it was a backup strip in Star Wars Weekly). His identity as a multiverse-crossing sorcerer with a soul-draining gem in his forehead struck me as really original back then. It wasn't until I read Hawkmoon that I realised how derivative it had been. Still, lots of fun for a 9-year old lad...
      The name that can be named is not the true name.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamelion
        I read Warlock as a kid (when it was a backup strip in Star Wars Weekly).
        SNAP! Me too.

His identity as a multiverse-crossing sorcerer with a soul-draining gem in his forehead struck me as really original back then. It wasn't until I read Hawkmoon that I realised how derivative it had been. Still, lots of fun for a 9-year old lad...
        I still have very fond memories of Jim Starlin's run on Warlock; the World of Clowns and the In-Betweener were some great moments in the first storyline.
        Last edited by David Mosley; 09-15-2006, 03:02 AM.
        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley
          I still have very fond memories of Jim Starlin's run on Warlock; the World of Clowns and the In-Betweener were some great moments in the first storyline.
          The In-Betweener really freaked me out . I thought that the "secondary" character were fascinating as well - Pip the Troll was a personal favourite.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
            I hardly saw any comics during the seventies, so must have missed that one!
            You know, Mr Moorcock, I am still somewhat surprised that you seem to be a fan of any Super heroes at All, and even of my former favorite Superman, no less! I allways kinda thought you were one of those guys who only wanted to read stories about violent anti-heroes. Well, now I know better...

But really, Starlin's Warlock epic was good!!
            It was both tragically and uplifting. I consider it better then that cynical and somewhat overrated Watchmen series from 1986.

If you'd like, I can try to download the issues and make a PDF from them, which I could send you via email. But It'll take some time...

By the way, did you ever read Crisis on Infinite Earths ? If so, what did you think of it? I thought it was a stroke of genius in allmost every regard.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamelion
              I read Warlock as a kid (when it was a backup strip in Star Wars Weekly). His identity as a multiverse-crossing sorcerer with a soul-draining gem in his forehead struck me as really original back then. It wasn't until I read Hawkmoon that I realised how derivative it had been. Still, lots of fun for a 9-year old lad...
              You're very lucky, Kamelion. I first noticed Warlock in my second Spider-Man book (it was a Spidey/Warlock team-up), in 1981, and though I liked him I never came to see just how special he was untill 1991!

But say. Wasn't Warlock published in Strange Tales instead of SW weekly? Or is SW Weekly an magacine from britain?

Comment

SNAP! Me too.

Yes. But I still think the issues after the clowns/"Land of the Way-It-Is" issues are better then anything published about Adam before.

Comment

Originally posted by The Beyonder
                  But say. Wasn't Warlock published in Strange Tales instead of SW weekly? Or is SW Weekly an magacine from britain?
                  Indeed, SWW was a UK reprint magazine, which in addition to the main Star Wars strip ran backup reprints of Star-Lord, Seeker 3000, Man-Gods from Beyond the Stars, The UFO Connection, Man-Wolf and hundreds of Steve Ditko and/or Don Heck short 'twist' strips.

I consider [Warlock] better then that cynical and somewhat overrated Watchmen series from 1986.
                  If you think Watchmen is "cynical" then - with respect - I'd suggest you haven't really read it properly. There's an extraordinary streak of humanism running through it and I specifically direct your attention to the end of Chapter 9.

But we were talking about Warlock, weren't we?
                  _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                  _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                  _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                  _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Indeed, SWW was a UK reprint magazine, which in addition to the main Star Wars strip ran backup reprints of Star-Lord, Seeker 3000, Man-Gods from Beyond the Stars, The UFO Connection, Man-Wolf and hundreds of Steve Ditko and/or Don Heck short 'twist' strips.

If you think Watchmen is "cynical" then - with respect - I'd suggest you haven't really read it properly. There's an extraordinary streak of humanism running through it and I specifically direct your attention to the end of Chapter 9.

But we were talking about Warlock, weren't we?
                    Do you consider the Watchmen stuff to be spamming, or could we debatte it out?

Comment

Originally posted by The Beyonder
                      Do you consider the Watchmen stuff to be spamming, or could we debatte it out?
                      Not spamming, but your main theme was Warlock and I didn't want to go off-topic discussing something else.

Feel free to start a 'Is Watchmen over-rated?' thread in the Comics forum by all means. It's 20 years since Watchmen was first published - it's always good to reexam our 'sacred texts', so a debate could be quite interesting.

Further analysis of Warlock and other Starlin comics (like Dreadstar) could also be conducted there as well, but if you've got further questions for Mike, then post them here.

Comment

Star-Lord - man, I haven't thought about that strip in years. Guardians of the Galaxy was another huge favourite of mine, along with the totally awesome Deathlok (although these ran a couple of years after Warlock, iirc). Oh well, drifting off topic into nostalgia here, heh heh...

Comment

I will-- but after I did so, could you please copy all the Warlock-themed comments from THIS thread over to the new thread? So that we can continue over there?

And sorry, but let me put one little off-topic comment in here: I called Watchmen somewhat overated. SOMEWHAT, not JUST.

The way you cited it, you'd think I put it in the same class as X-Force#1.

Comment

Working...
                          X