Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Elric Books Reprinting in US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My theory -I usually have one for most things once I start actually thinking about things - is that they are hanging on in the hope that when the Elric film finally appears, Gollancz will be able to reissue all the core Eternal Champion series and make lots of money off the increased sales that will inevitably result from a film release. I rekcon they are sitting on the OP titles hoping for this scenario to transpire.

Recently, they reissued the Fantasy Masterworks Elric selection in a white jacket livery, along with some of the other classic fantasy previous released in masterworks - The Broken Sword, Lyonesse, Amber. They've done similar things with a limited number of SF and Horror titles (the former in paperbacks with bevelled edges and minimalist design to attract general readers, and the latter in black jackets). But they focus on the same old books with these repackages, meaning you get two simultaneously available editions of (for example) The Dispossessed and I Am Legend - one in masterworks and one in the alternative livery. Other books remain neglected and left OP on their list - such as the Corum novels.

I hope you and your agent can sort them out - best of luck.
    2006: 100 Must Read Science Fiction Novels (5th printing 2009/Bulgarian Edition (!) due 2011).

2008: 100 Must Read Books For Men (2nd printing 2008)

2009: 100 Must Read Fantasy Novels

sigpic

Comment

sorry, duplicate post !
      Last edited by Stephen_E_Andrews; 02-02-2009, 11:14 PM.
      2006: 100 Must Read Science Fiction Novels (5th printing 2009/Bulgarian Edition (!) due 2011).

sigpic

Comment

There's a thread on the 'white' Elric here, Stephen. In brief, Gollancz thought it would be a good idea to retitle the Elric Fantasy Masterworks edition as Elric of Melniboné despite there already being one novel and one omnibus with that title already. They didn't think it might be an idea to check with the author first and it was largely thanks to the sterling efforts of our own Guy Lawley in bringing this to Mike's attention that Gollancz was eventually persuaded to the the title alone.

Guy's corresponded with Jo Fletcher at Gollancz touches upon the multiple editions of the same title thing that you mentioned (bizarrely as a defence for renaming the Elric collection).

The thread also contains some fun alternative covers to Mike's books by members of this forum.
        Last edited by David Mosley; 02-02-2009, 01:53 PM.
        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Just to rub salt into the wound, there's been a spate of new French editions of Mike's books in the last few years.

Last edited by David Mosley; 02-02-2009, 02:07 PM.
          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Thanks for the hyperlink, David. It's an interesting thread. The cover design issue aside, I think that Gollancz' failure to reprint the Elric series completely (not to mention Corum, Bastable etc) - thus enabling new readers who might like a 'linear plot' approach - remains the basic problem.

Will post in the other thread where appropriate from now on.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
              Just to rub salt into the wound, there's been a spate of new French editions of Mike's books in the last few years.

... .... ... ...

I have a credit note for a local bookshop (a book for my daughter I had to swap for, 'How to dump a Prince', at another shop), so I tried to order a copy of 'London Bone' last week, only to discover it's apparently in line to be reprinted and therefore not presently available.

Comment

I think London Bone has been out of print for some years now. Mother London and King of the City are still available as far as I can tell, as they tend to get mentioned in most literary round-ups of books about/set in the city - British newspaper and book editors (and bookshops) regularly run 'London Books' lists and promotions and tere are of couse literary/cultural guides tio London appearing every now and again in book form. They just haven't caught up with London Bone yet.

Considering the British reading public's general antipathy to short stories though, the book could stay OP, unfortunately.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X